Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 8:07:53 PM EDT
I saw this gun at the gun shop today. It's a blue S&W model 19, 357 magnum   revolver. It has about a 2" barrel, adjustable sites, pacmeher grips. It looks as if someone had stored it in a case and it needed reblueing, the gunsmith said he'd reblue it for $50, if I decided I wanted it. What do you think is a fair price without reblueing?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a 2.5" barrel.

See if you can determine if it's
"pinned & recessed" .  The guns made prior to about '81-'82 had a pin at the top of the frame where the barrel mates to the top strap & the cylinder had recessed chambers so the rims of the cartridges fit flush in the cylinder.

These are a little more desirable.

If it needs blueing , $300 out the door??

I dunno but IMHO wheelgun prices are soft these days.  I like old S&W revolvers though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it was pinned and recessed. I can check for sure tomorrow. The reason I'm asking for a price check is  that I've been out of the revolver ring for a while. I'll primarily use this gun for fishing and camping. While I'm at it what kind of finish would you put on it? Maybe something to match an AR-15 finish?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't invest too much in a gun that needs rebluing. There is literally a ton of good revolvers floating around these days at good prices. Shop around and you will probably find one that is mint for the same price this guy will ask you for a reblued one. If it was me though, I would just step up and get the Model 66. It is virtually the same exact thing except the model 66 is stainless. It shouldn't be that much more expensive either...maybe around $25 more or so. If this is something you plan to use or carry often, the stainless will be a plus. They look much better for much longer than a blued pistol when carried frequently. But if it's just going to be kept by the bed, then get whatever finish you can get the best deal on.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 66..21/2 bbl......nicely balanced easy carry.......for the blue one I`d pay 250-275........or keep looking like C-H says.........you can get bake on finishes from brownells....or thier cold blue works real good too......it IS a nice- handy wheelgun....
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]
First of all...that is a SWEEEEEET pistol.  I LOVE S&W MODEL 19 2.25" pistols.

As mentioned earlier, I'd only buy it if it is pinned and recessed.  If it needs to be reblued, then I would offer $150.  Even if the blue was perfect, I wouldn't offer more than $275.

NOW FOR A COOL STORY...
A year ago I was at a Pawn Shop here in Houston and saw a Nickel plated Model 19 with a 4" barrel.  I prefer the blued guns, but thought I'd haggle.  I got him down to $160 plus tax, so I bought it.  What intrigued me was that the front sight was pinned (which I had never seen before on any Smiths) and the hammer and trigger were blued.  Three months later I purchased the Encyclopedia on S&W and found that this pistol was made in 1956 which was the second year of production of the Model 19!!!  COOL.  I got a piece of history for CHEAP!  The pistol was in excellent condition, so I had no idea it was that old.  It shoots good too!  Thanks for letting me share.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
these guys make some good points, you might wait & try to find a
model 66  or look for a nickel 19
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell the dealer it's gonna be a 'fishin' pistol' and give a couple hundred for it.

The snubnose Model 19's profile is the best looking revolver, I think.
(...that from a Ruger fan...)

You can always change it later.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I would pay not more than $250 and preferably OTD at that if there is significantly more finish wear than just holster wear.

I am fond of the M19 2.5" model also, but recently picked up a S&W M65 Ladysmith (no snickering, please), bead blasted stainless with a 3" barrel and fixed sights, reddish laminated wood grips with that polymer finish on a round butt.  It makes a nice woods carry gun and clears a holster nicely with the fixed sights.  What a trigger pull!  Very smooth, light, and crisp in both SA and DA.  I gave $325 OTD for it, used.

Noah
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
recently picked up a S&W M65 Ladysmith (no snickering, please), bead blasted stainless with a 3" barrel and fixed sights, reddish laminated wood grips with that polymer finish on a round butt
Noah

I think that's a great gun.  I like that it has a full length ejector rod.  I'd take one with a Hogue or Uncle Mike's grip
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Noah, no need to be embarrassed.  The "Ladysmiths" are typically just fancier grips and usually the J-Frame.  I think they look great!

BusMaster007...you are CORRECT!  The sexiest (and scariest) looking snub-nose .357mag on the market is the Model 19 blued.  It's definitely a hog-leg. What's funny is that the nickel finish or stainless M66 doesn't look as "bad" as that dark beauty.  I agree with you 100%.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an M66 with the 2.5" barrel. Very nice gun. While I think the older blued S&W revolvers look great, for a gun intended to be carried and used, especially in the field/outdoors, stainless is the way to go. All 3 of my S&W revolvers (M66, M686, M629) are stainless and I wouldn't have it any other way. They don't show holster wear and shrug off water and crud much better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want the gun, try to buy it as cheap as possible with out a reblue, and send it to S&W for refinishing, either blue or nickel.  They'll do the job  without rounding off the corners  and leaving tool marks.  Still, if you like the style, I'd look for a Model 66, unless you can get the 19 for $150-175.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
noah-
No need for snickering over your 3in. M65. The Ladysmith revolvers are J-frames (small), while the M65 is a K-frame (medium). Your handgun, assuming it's a round butt, is the stainless version of the M13 that the FBI used to issue. It's really just a stainless M19 Combat Magnum (M66) without the adjustable sights or ejector rod shroud, neither of which are actually needed on a concealed carry gun.

In the 3in. round butt M65, you've got-IMHO-one of the best out of the box defensive .357 revolvers. It has great pointability without sacrificing concealability, a full length ejector rod (VERY important), break proof sights, ballistics that more closely match the 4in. barrel than the 2 1/2 and a finish that allows it to be carried against the body for long periods.

Rest assured-your gun has balls.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I din't go back today to the gun shop, he was closed for some reason?.I kinda decided that for $285 OTD was a little steep. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Since you're in KY, check out KY Imports. They have great prices on used S&W revolvers! They also have a good web site.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would pay not more than $250 and preferably OTD at that if there is significantly more finish wear than just holster wear.

I am fond of the M19 2.5" model also, but recently picked up a S&W M65 Ladysmith (no snickering, please), bead blasted stainless with a 3" barrel and fixed sights, reddish laminated wood grips with that polymer finish on a round butt.  It makes a nice woods carry gun and clears a holster nicely with the fixed sights.  What a trigger pull!  Very smooth, light, and crisp in both SA and DA.  I gave $325 OTD for it, used.

Noah

Pretty sure the 3 inch bbl was ONLY on the l-s version....I was thinking on buying one myself.....grips are great looking too.....but I ran into a model13...retired service revolver.......and figured the extra inch length was no big deal.....you`re right noah...what a great shooter...and accurate.....for a buck and a quarter...I did good.....(was a few years back).....seen a few mod 65`s at unbelievable prices over the years.....seems like a lot of folks don`t care for the fixed sight concept or something......but the heavy bbl makes it a nice balance................
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Txsguy:

The FBI used to issue Model 19's with the 2.25" barrel for their .357mags.  This is what my father carried while in during the Hoover days.

Incidentally, the 3" may have intrinsically better ballistics...but a lot of it comes down to the shooter.  My father shot 5 "possibles" (or perfect scores) in 4 years with his 2.25" barrel.  Some shots were literally 50 yards, but they were prone.  Most people would have a hard time hitting the side of a barn with a 2.25" barrel at that distance, much less center-mass.

I would love to get my hands on a M65 for $250 or less...what a steal!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top