Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 4:04:13 PM EDT
Greetings all,

First time poster here and I apologize if this topic has been brought up before. In any case, I'm planning on purchasing an AR-15 carbine but would like to get your feedback on two particular brands. Specifically, Bushmaster and Armalite. Anyone have experience with either of the two? If so, which brand would you likely recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yes, price is no objective.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend either one. Both are fine rifles but a slight edge must go to the Armalite. BTW, I am a happy Bushmaster owner.
Jim Hall
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would recommend either one.
Jim Hall

First welcome to the site and the addiction...

I'd also agree with the above recommendation.  I own both Bushy and ArmaLite.  I'm also going to give the edge to ArmaLite.  All my ArmaLite's are outstanding in quality and function.  

Bushy gets the edge when it comes to being closer to 'milspec', specifically barrel steel and 5.56 chamber.  ArmaLite may now be offering the NATO chamber, I've heard yet again they do or will...

Both Bushmaster and ArmaLite have great customer service, ArmaLite has a superior warranty but a generally higher price tag...

A decent article to help you weigh the options:

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/theseriousar.msnw?pgmarket=en-us
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if this matters to the potential buyer, but there is a decent amount of time between ordering recieving your AR.  I am not sure about Bushmaster, but if you order one straight from Armalite the wait time is 5 months.  I ordered mine in late May, but was told by Armalite that it won't be in till October 2002.  

I was pretty set on getting an Armalite so the wait doesn't matter, just gives me more time to decide what kind of optic I want to put on it.
I lurk every day, and it phenomonal to hear about all the new people purchasing ARs.  

While I have no first hand ownership of either rifle, I chose the Armalite based on mean average tolerances in which each company builds their rifles to, Armalites tolerances (at least in the literature) are tighter.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
i have both and love them both. Fit and finish goes to Armalite. As well as a better warranty. Both have GREAT customer service but again i give the edge to armalite. I broke mine and emailed them on a sunday night. Got a response the same night. I know it was a fluke but it showed me they care.
If they are within 100.00 of each other i'd go Armalite.

EITHER rifle is an excellent weapon that you will enjoy owning.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Greetings & Welcome Zoomie!

My 1st was going to be an Armalite, but I got a Bushmaster instead (I have 2 Bushmasters now).
I do plan to get one tho, the closest I've come is my Eagle Arms preban, but an Armalite is in
my future.......

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster or Armalite? hmm, I'll have to go with Colt on that one
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
In my experience, if you can't make up your mind between an Armalite and a Bushmaster, what you really need is one of each!! Get a carbine from one and a standard 20" from the other.

Either is an excellent rifle!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Both are excellent rifles. Armalite has the 5.56 chamber on their non-target grade for about a year now.

I bought an Armalite, myself, but am planning on a Bushmaster as well.

good luck.

dave
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Both are excellent rifles. Armalite has the 5.56 chamber on their non-target grade for about a year now.

I bought an Armalite, myself, but am planning on a Bushmaster as well.

good luck.

dave

See what I mean???  Happens every time!

Edited to add: You have my vote, Dave!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]
M15a2.........blackandgreen........most accurate rifle out of the box.......
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Bushmaster or Armalite? hmm, I'll have to go with Colt on that one

Glock31

ARMALITE
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#15]
ArmaLite M15A4 - get a flattop !!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#16]
They're both great, but the ArmaLite also comes with a better standard trigger.  To me, the Bushy trigger was a bit gritty.  Not terrible, but not like my ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I have:
Colts, 2
Armalites, 2
Bushmaster, 1

I love them all. The Armalite gets my vote though cause they are built as good or microscopically better. I have the Armalite Carbine and it is one well built and fine shooting rifle. I'd get another in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Bushmaster.  They come with chrome lined barrels, they are chambered in 5.56, and have an excellent reputation.  My A2 20" shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Armalite for me please.Definately get the flat top.Remember,AR stands for Armalite!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy a Bushmaster. Closest to mil-spec & best value for the money. If price is no objective as you say and you're leaning towards Armalite, skip them & buy an SR15 or SR25 from www.knightsarmament.com
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Get an ArmaLite!  Why?  Because I'm trying to sell mine, an M15A4 Carbine.  Drop me a line if you're interested...
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally, I'd go with the bushy.  If you are buying a carbine, I assume it's a plinker so you will be shooting it lots.  The chrome lined barrel makes for a much easier clean up.  Either weapon is better than excellent, they are top notch.  I assembled mine from a stripped lower, it was a fun project.  I am proud of my bushy...

I went with the A2 upper and a mini-acog.  I like this combination very very much.  If you are going to use optics other than an acog, I think flat top is the way to go...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top