Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 6:51:26 PM EDT
I bought a new 20" Bushie HBAR about 18 months ago.  I've only taken it out a couple times and put maybe 60 rounds through it with no problems.  I took it out today and it was failing to extract on almost every round.  The bolt would come back without ejecting the spent shell, then it would try and feed the next round into the chamber.  The rounds don't seem to be sticking in the chamber, as most would fall out fairly easily.  If I cycle the rounds by hand it seems to work OK.  Ammo was new factory Winchester ( .223 Rem., not the 5.56 Q3131A) Tried two different mags with no change.  Only thing I can figure is the extractor, but it looks OK and the gun has very little use.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Try removing the ejector and check for any gunk that is inside the hole or the spring is bad. And removing the extractor to check if anything is gumming up that works too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
also pick up your brass & study it, you can learn a lot from fired brass.....

if the extractor is slipping off the rim leaving slight marks you got a bad/weak extractor spring, if brass shows signs of gouging & sharp edges of brass, your bolt & carrier is opening too soon, or the brass may not be "shrinking" fast enuff to allow the action to function properly, which is caused by underpowered ammo, i belive you really do need to try the M193 ammo, that Winchester stuff you are using is loaded to minimun specs, military ammo is loaded "hot" for maximum perf., your Bushy is built to "mil-specs.", use "mil-spec" ammo & i belive your problems will dissapear..., AFTER you thouroghly clean the rifle, my Bushy loves the "mil-spec" ammo, never had a malfunction (except for Wolf) after i cleaned it & used GOOD ammo.........
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I pulled out the extractor and everything looks ok from what I can tell.  Ejector seems to be OK too.  Is it possible that I need a stronger extractor spring?  Maybe the spring is weak and its allowing the extractor to jump over the rim on the casings?  What about the insert inside the spring?  My rifle has a blue one. Should I try a different one of those? Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top