Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/23/2002 2:35:28 PM EDT
if i made an open bolt gun that had no mag well and just put a bullet in the chamber like a single shot would it be legal?

mkIII come to mind.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:54:56 PM EDT
I've posted this question to several discussion groups. I've also called the BATF, and had a couple of other people write to them. Every time, I get flamed in the discussion groups and the same answer from the BATF. If it's legal, the BATF doesn't think it is.z
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:46:41 PM EDT
Pardon my ignorance but what is the big deal about converting a closed bolt semi into an open bolt semi?? As long as it retains it's "semi" mode why would anyone care how the bolt works?? Did the BATF "create" another law pertaing to this??

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:52:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ColtShorty:
Pardon my ignorance but what is the big deal about converting a closed bolt semi into an open bolt semi?? As long as it retains it's "semi" mode why would anyone care how the bolt works?? Did the BATF "create" another law pertaing to this??
quote]

I was under the impression that Open bolt semi's were a no no.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:09:09 PM EDT
I know the BATF persuaded Intratec & the others to change their designs but my ignorance begins after that.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:33:17 AM EDT
What's the advantage of an open bolt design anyway?

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:39:17 AM EDT
I believe some/all of them had a fixed firing pin and used the bolt as the hammer. This would delete the need for a hammer and additional steps during the firing process (full auto mode) and thereby give you a greater cyclic rate.

Maybe not.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:46:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DakotaKid:

Fewer operating parts, simpler to manufacture, more air flow to allow cooling.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:09:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DakotaKid:

Eliminates “cook-offs”.

ATF’s heartburn, IIRC, was that open bolt firearms are very easy to convert to full auto. However, I’ve got to wonder if the total absence of a magazine well (or other feeding mechanism) might make this particular conversion acceptable.

I find open bolt firearms irritating to use and difficult to fire accurately.

Many years ago Winchester actually made an open bolt single shot .22 LR rifle. I think the idea was that it was easier to load since it automatically ejected the empty.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:25:42 AM EDT
Isnt there alot of foward jump in open bolt firearms? So if it was single shot I would assume that it was to be used for long range accurate shooting. Isnt that forward lunge of the bolt gonna throw your shots low?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:02:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheFNG:
Isnt there alot of foward jump in open bolt firearms? So if it was single shot I would assume that it was to be used for long range accurate shooting. Isnt that forward lunge of the bolt gonna throw your shots low?

It's not really that bad, but it is different. Since the bolt hits the chamber at the same time the cartridge is fired there is little movement before the round has exited the barrel. The UZI is an open bolt SMG and they are pretty accurate, at SMG ranges though. You definately wouldn't want an open bolt sniper rifle.

The main reasons for an open bolt have already been stated. To prevent cook-offs and simplicity of design. However, if it's a semiauto or single shot gun, you have just negated it's biggest advantage over a closed bolt weapon.

If you've never fired an open bolt weapon on semi, it's a strange feeling experience at first. It actually feels like two shots. One when the bolt slams home and another when it slams again to the rear in the cocked position.
Top Top