Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 11:13:20 AM EDT
are these things decent? they are pretty affordable. i have found nothing fits my hand as well as a hi-power and i just want to know how these things shoot
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have fired a friend of mine's, and It was just as good as the Belgians, except for the tool marks and the finish.

I have two other friends that own one, and they say they are plenty reliable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Mattsd-
They are a lot of gun for the money. Love mine. It's an older one maybe three or four and I got it used for $175. Some of the very new production ones have changes incorporated that may be less desirable. They deviated from the Browning lock up in some ways so I would ask to see a real High Power next to the FEG when buying to be sure I got the one I wanted. Two tips: remove the mag safety for a nice trigger pull and if the trigger ever doesn't want to reset to fire the next shot it's the roll pin holding in the transfer bar in the slide. See mine was flared at the end some and when the roll pin was pressed to far into the slide it would cause the transfer to stick and not allow the trigger reset after firing. TMI.. maybe but somebody else out ther may need to know that.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one,not a bad gun.I had problems at first w/jams,but found a bur on the extractor that would not allow it to allways slip over the rim of a round.Polished that,and had no problems till I got rid of it for something else(am easily bored)
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Some are good, some are bad, some are downright terrible...it's a crap-shoot.  I sold one that had a trigger pull as good as Browning ever did, and one that felt like it had sand in the action.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one, put hogue grips on it and I have never had a FTF or FTE in over one thousand rounds.

btw I removed the mag safety.

dave
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
in removing the mag safty, des the slide continue to hold open after last shot?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
in removing the mag safty, des the slide continue to hold open after last shot?

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is one of the good ones also. A good buy and gun for the money if you like 9mm. Also, has de-cocker and is double action trigger.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you guys keep it from biting your hand?  Even hand-cycling the gun in the gunstore I get mad hammer bite on the web of my strong hand.  OW!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How do you guys keep it from biting your hand?  Even hand-cycling the gun in the gunstore I get mad hammer bite on the web of my strong hand.  OW!

I have fairly big hands. I've never had so-called "hammer bite" nor has anyone I know of. My guess would be a bit too high grip?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:01:19 AM EDT
[#11]
My experience has been like thedave's.  About a thousand rounds through with no problem, and the first thing I did was take out the mag safety which is an easy operation.

I do get minor hammer bite.  I also have a real BHP with a spur hammer, no hammer bite there, it only comes from the ring "Commander type" hammer.  Not a big problem but after a hundred rounds or so you start to notice it.

Dunno if a BHP spur hammer would directly interchange, and don't care enough to try.  Gun works well as it is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]
FEG's w/ a de-cocker and DA trigger?
Mine didn't have those 2 features, thats why I sold it.......plus it was as about as accurate as I am at 2am taking a piss.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#13]
My FEG Hi-Power has been a great shooter.  I replaced the trigger, the thumb safety, and the grip panels, and ground off the tip of the hammer where it was pinching my hand.  

Another nice thing is that pre-Clinton 13 round magazines are relatively cheap and abundant.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FEG's w/ a de-cocker and DA trigger?
Mine didn't have those 2 features, thats why I sold it.......plus it was as about as accurate as I am at 2am taking a piss.

I believe he has the FEG "BDA" copy, not the HP copy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My FEG Hi-Power is pretty good for the price, but I had a few bugs along the way.

1.  Took 2 trips to KBI to fix failures to extract, and the problems were still unresolved.  Finally seem to have fixed it by polishing the chamber with a Dremel.  2 month turnaround for each trip.

2.  Bluing wore off of the edges of the backstrap pretty quickly, but the bare metal hasn't started to pit/rust yet.

3.  Frame is slightly oversized, to the point that Pachmayr wraparounds would not fit it (no biggie... I got a set of BHP plastic thumbrest grips).

Those issues aside, my FEG is now a great shooter, that shoots better than I do, and is pretty inexpensive to feed.  Decent pre-Klinton mags are plentiful and relatively cheap, and mine doesn't skip a beat with pro-mags, and even a USA mag.  For $212 out the door, I'd gladly do it again.

By the way, my FEG is a little more than 2 years old now, so newer ones may not have the same issues that mine does.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW, the FEG HP frame is forged steel, while the later model HP were investment casted.  The older FN HP's are real nice, but the later ones were assembled in Portugal with the cast frames.  I have a FEG HP from the preban days and it handles and shoots fine.  Hogue grips replaced the stock wood grips and nothing beats the "pointability" of the HP design.  Accuracy is acceptable, about same as my Glock, and the CZ75 is way more accurate then either one in 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
My FEG PJK-9HP has been the best $200 I've spent on a firearm. In over 5000 rds of Federal 9bp, Winchester 115gr Silvertips and various Surplus Military 115/124gr ammo I've had zero problems.  For a budget priced gun it's a best buy. The early guns are finshed better than the latest FN/Browning MK III's.  I've had zero problems using parts and accessories from my Belgian HP's.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine's been pretty good as long as I don't feed it the aluminum cased crap.  Also, for the first couple hundred rounds it would occasionally jam, the extractor face needed a quick smoothing and everything seems to be ok now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top