Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 7:29:00 AM EDT
does anyone know why sillicon lubricantes make green-yellow crusties when it is sprayed on  the barrel of an ar-15?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Was the barrel cleaned of the older lubricant first?  Some lubes don't mix well together.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#2]
What were you using? I always run a patch with Rem-Oil down the barrel after I clean it and have never had this problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Its on the black stuff on the out side of the barrel, especially around the front sight, forward toward the muzzle and around the rear of the barrel under the hand guard near the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I use CorrosionX, a extreme pressure lubricant and a unbelievable penetrant that has no silicon, tar, wax or other solids that tend to build up.

I would imagine the crusties you are seeing come from solids in your oil meant to keep the product from wearing off or evaporating prematurely. Am-O-Tramp.  If interested     www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Try KY Jelly

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like parkerizing/bluing salts coming
up in reaction to your lube and incomplete
rinsing of prior finish.They should come off
easily with water and light scraping-I used
a broken piece of popsicle/craft stick just fine. Re-coat areas after removal with oil/
CLP or your favorite.Silicone lubes don't have
much body and tend to rub/wear off rapidly.
Hard to go wrong with CLP.Regards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top