Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 6/21/2002 1:03:19 PM EDT
Howdie all.
I just got my first AR. I'm not the richest so I got a Rock River last week at the gun show.
I've been reading here for a while and most of you had good opinions about them.
I have a few dumb questions to get out of the way.
1.If I buy a spare bolt carrier, will any do or do I need to get the same brand?
2.Is Horndany (sp) ammo ok ? What do you recomend?
3.if I get a different type of upper for it, will I have to worry about the head space?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:16:01 PM EDT
I can answer question number 2. If you want ammo for hunting, the Hornady SP should be ok. If you want plinking ammo, go with South African Battlepacks available cheap at The Sportsman's Guide or from ammoman.com. If you want ammo for more accurate plinking, self defense, etc, then get Lake City XM193 or Winchester Q3131A. IMI M193 is good also. Stick with the military ammo as it has higher velocity and better bullet performance (it fragments) on target.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:21:00 PM EDT
Oh, and BTW, make sure your rifle has a 5.56mm chamber before using the hot military loads. It should say on the barrel or in the owner's manual. If it is .223 only, then don't fire mil spec rounds in it, go with Federal American Eagle for plinking and Winchester Power Point + for defense and a good brand ballistic tip ammo of some sort for varmints. I hope this covered all aspects of that particular question.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:42:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Oh, and BTW, make sure your rifle has a 5.56mm chamber before using the hot military loads. It should say on the barrel or in the owner's manual. If it is .223 only, then don't fire mil spec rounds in it, go with Federal American Eagle for plinking and Winchester Power Point + for defense and a good brand ballistic tip ammo of some sort for varmints. I hope this covered all aspects of that particular question.

I had no idea about that, thanks. i thought all ar's were for mil spec ammo.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:54:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2002 1:55:45 PM EDT by Shadowblade]
I fire milsurp ammo in my RRA all the time, don't worry about that end of it.

Any AR15 carrier should work just fine, no need to worry about brand name as long as it is standard (Don't pick up an M16 carrier by mistake).

If you buy a complete upper with the barrel already installed, headspace should be fine. You will want to keep each bolt with it's respective upper though.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:55:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By zitface:
1.If I buy a spare bolt carrier, will any do or do I need to get the same brand?
3.if I get a different type of upper for it, will I have to worry about the head space?

Here's my $0.01 (inflation!)

1. you don't "need" a spare bolt carrier. If you have lots of cash laying around and like to have spare parts, then by all means blow it on a colt or other milspec unit.

3. I seriously recomend getting a dedicated bolt/bolt carrier for a different upper. that way you don't have to worry about wear and headspace everytime you swap. Just push the pins and swap out.. quick and easy. (this is what I do) If you have the money to blow on a "spare" bolt carrier, just put it into the other upper.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:59:25 PM EDT

All you ever wanted to know about such things can be found in The AR15.com Ammo FAQ
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:28:23 PM EDT
I don't know that I've heard anyone talking about their 'spare' bolts. Pick 1 bolt and stay with it.
The metal parts 'wear in' togather and shouldn't be mixed and matched (at least according to my Marine Corps manual.)
If you're in San antonio, there is a gun show the first weekend of every mpnth. Last show I got the S. Afrikan and the Israeli surplus. SA was $34. for 300 rounds, Israeli was $12. for 100 rnds.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:06:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tatjana:

All you ever wanted to know about such things can be found in The AR15.com Ammo FAQ

BTW, the FAQ is outstanding, Tatjana.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:59:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:
I don't know that I've heard anyone talking about their 'spare' bolts. Pick 1 bolt and stay with it.
The metal parts 'wear in' togather and shouldn't be mixed and matched (at least according to my Marine Corps manual.)

Well I was thinking this in case a bolt breaks.
If a bolt does break on me, what concerns would I have then as far as replacing it ?
Would i need the same brand ? Or could i just pick up a spare at a gun show.
Would I need a new upper only not the barrel if this is the case? what would i need to check on if this happens.
Thanks again guys. tatjana your info on ammo is great.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:07:34 PM EDT

Well I was thinking this in case a bolt breaks.
If a bolt does break on me, what concerns would I have then as far as replacing it ?

Let's say your lugs give out from excessive pressure or something, then you also want to check the locking lugs in your barrel extension, because the barrel extension might need replacement too, and then we're talking professional gunsmithing.

Would i need the same brand ?

No. Any quality bolt is fine.

Or could i just pick up a spare at a gun show.

Unless you buy from a reputable seller I wouldn't buy a bolt (or carrier) at a gunshow. It's not uncommon for gunshow parts to be refinished old parts.

Would I need a new upper only not the barrel if this is the case? what would i need to check on if this happens.

The upper receiver should be fine, but I would certainly inspect it closely after a complete failure. Other than that see previous answers in this post.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:33:22 PM EDT
Thanks skullworks

What are your all's opinion on crome bolt carriers? Are they better ? What are the benifits of them?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:37:20 PM EDT

Thanks skullworks

Sure thing.

What are your all's opinion on crome bolt carriers? Are they better ? What are the benifits of them?

They're a lot easier to clean.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:46:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By skullworks:

Thanks skullworks

Sure thing.

Is that the only benifit of having them?
thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:48:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By skullworks:

Is that the only benifit of having them?
thanks again.

They are more wear resistant and "slicker" so they will move with greater ease. I took Derrick Martins' AR15-class and he said that "some people like them, some don't. Whatever you're comfortable with." Derrick is VERY easy going.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:51:06 PM EDT

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/theseriousar.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Chrome plated bolt carrier were first used back in the 60s, they helped reduce corrosion and made cleaning easier. However it was found out that these bolt carrier caused excessive wear on the upper receiver, Since the 70’s the military has regulated chromed bolt carriers training units and are forbidden in deployable weapons
Top Top