Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2002 8:20:47 PM EDT
I have been seeing stripped receivers for sale by various manufactors. I was wondering if building a stripped lower from the ground up is that hard to do? Or I am better off send the receiver and parts to a gunsmith or just buying a complete one. Also, I was wondering if the single or double lugs receiver is worth the extra cost.  In addition, is a cast vs milled receiver also justify the additional costs of the base price.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an expert at M1A/M14s, but Fulton Arms website has plenty of info on those rifles. Check them out at www.fulton-armory.com
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Building a M14 is not hard but pretty expensive,Fulton wants $1,299 and your reciever to build a rifle plus the turnaround time at some of these shops is ludicris.
If you want to build a match gun a single or double lug reciever is the way to go because those lugs are bedded to the stock.Thats the only reason for the lugs.
You can buy a billet reciever from Entreprize Arms or Armscorpusa has a cast reciever for pretty decent price.you can buy a parts kit from Orion7 or US Armory for about $700 give or take a few bucks.
I have a Springfield Armory Inc M1A and am very happy with it.Very nice fit and finish to it.plus a lifetime warranty and all.
Parts are becoming very scarce and expensive for the M14 type rifles it wasnt but four months ago that Fulton was building standard grade rifles on your reciever for $799.So i really do believe the source for parts is drying up.Orion7 only had about ten kits left on their site.
Armscorpsusa says all GI parts on their rifles,but there has been rumors of them putting Chi-com parts on their rifles cause of USGI parts availibility.
Springfield is the only one making new parts for these types of rifles,yes they are cast but i think the castings of today are much better now than maybe the forgings of 30 to 40 years ago plus springfield backs their product 100%.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all the info. I knew that trying to build one by myself is going to be rather a bit expensive for the plan budget and time frame. Since the surplus parts seems to be drying up, looks like I would need to recosider this project. Probably going to wind up just buying a Springfield.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it is gonna be expensive.But if that is what you want go for it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
the CMP still has lots of M-14 Op rods and trigger groups and bolts.....
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]

I was wondering if building a stripped lower from the ground up is that hard to do?

M1A/M14 rifles don't have a lower receiver assembly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was wondering if building a stripped lower from the ground up is that hard to do?

M1A/M14 rifles don't have a lower receiver assembly.

I meant a stripped receiver.  I have been building WAY too many AR lowers lately. Brain-freeze.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Any books out there on building an M14? Does Scott Duff's book have the info?

I'm waiting on a SA Inc. receiver currently and then to have built-is going to take a long time. I am considering an Armscorp--less wait and alot less money than Fulton Armory but I hear good and bad about them. The other alternative is to get a SA M1A and the extra(GI) parts mentioned above. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]
drjarhead, Duff's book does not have sufficient technical information to build a rifle, although it has a fine section on match tuning.  If building a rifle yourself you will want "The US .30 Cal Gas Operated Service Rifles - A Shop Manual, Vols. I & II", by Jerry Kuhnhausen.  This is the ultimate book to have around if you are a serious M1A shooter, or if you want to build a rifle.  You will also need access to an experienced machinist or machine shop.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks much, Fox. I am very tempted to do this myself. How much work is it? Barrel placement much work/complicated?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
drjarhead, barrel placement and chamber finishing is probably the most complicated piece of the puzzle.  On the M14 series of rifles, lathe work is typically required for indexing the barrel to its proper location, assuming a match grade barrel for optimum accuracy.  It usually has to be faced and finish reamed to achieve the proper head space.  The lugs on the bolt need to be lapped to the bolt recesses in the receiver as well.  You might consider purchasing a receiver then having a qualified smith install the barrel and bolt to guarantee a good fit and head space, then do the rest yourself.  I would recommend the gunsmith route simply because they will get it right and let you know if there are any problems with things like a worn receiver, etc.  This is a moot point if the receiver is new.  I like Fulton, but their waiting times are ludicrous, as someone previously noted.  There are several other good M1A gunsmiths out their.  Ask around or search the Net.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Good advice. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Sarco is/was, selling barreled Armscorp receivers. USGI barrels are in very short supply. Orion 7 told me a couple of weeks ago they are getting short on parts. When they sell out they aren't going to restock. Ashley at
www.usgunparts.com has most USGI parts as well as some parts kits.
When I sent in my SA cupon, I ordered 2 USGI barrels. They recently quit selling barrels to distributors, but said they will honor cupons. I got two Winchester barrels.
I built up an all USGI M1A on a SA receiver a few years ago with all Winchester parts. Had Fulton Armory assemble it. It was a wonderful rifle, I still kick myself for letting it go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top