Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 6:25:02 PM EDT
Why do people comment on Guns they haven't shot?

And then usually either with a paraphrase of what the gun magazines wrote or the latest myths going around (usually negative)??

Example, if I asked about the SIG 550 Sniper Version I'd get all sorts of replies from people who hadn't held or fired one (hell I haven't) with at least one person immediately whining on and on about how expensive it is??

Look at the threads on the Steyr Scout, or the Steyr GB Pistol for some further examples.

Since these pundits are responding to our messages, we KNOW they can read.  But being literate doesn't mean they have to repeat what every gun magazine ever wrote around model xy&z!

For what it is worth that is my whine for the week.... the armchair quarterback whining wannabe gun reviewer gets my BP up....
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
(taking your comment to a ridiculous extreme) So, I have to risk my hand to fire a Jennings, before I'm allowed to recommend against buying one to a friend?z
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have to ride one to know big women are built for comfort, not for speed!

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
My brothers wifes uncles daughters boyfriend had one and it was so totally awesome I crapped my pants!

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Clipper- Umm, so if I said I had NO experience with firearms, and that my collection consisted of a bent Daisy Pal, and a box of army men, I'd be more believeable?

I used to work for a class three dealer in Phoenix.. Went to a lot of shoots, and got to shoot, fix, and maintain a LOT of neat/interesting/unique firearms..

As to the Scout, never shot one.. Never had the desire..

The 550, I just never came across.. AUG's, and H&K's turn up a bit though..( when the common denominator at some of these events is either an AR-15, or an AK of some type, followed by WW2 era stuff, and a few UZI's, or MAC's..)

The Steyr GB IS a neat pistol, IMHO.. But I got a CZ 75 instead..Silly me..

When reading ANY post on any board, unless you personally know the person, or they are using verifyable data, taking the post with a large grain of salt is a good course..Getting pissed for someone expressing an opinion is not.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
This one time, at band camp, I got to shoot a 40mm automatic cannon.  I totally flipped out and chopped someone's head off and then crapped my pants.

I had to go see the councilor after that and then my mom came to get me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Same reason why we talk about cars we'll never get to own and women we'll never get to date.

Me, I love my Lorcin and my crack whore.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if people talk about guns that they haven't fired, you should still respect them.  If what people say is straight from someone else, but is true, then just let it go, especially if it comes from a newbie.  If they are ing, then it would be different!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Something that just came to mind:

I don't have to shoot, see, or handle anything made by Hesse to know that it is a total piece of shit.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#9]
He! He! He! I know all I need to know by just being here on AR15.com!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
As one of those who spoke against the Steyr Scout:

I've shot one.  Several times, several sessions.  Not my rifle, but still had the opportunity.

Just because i wasn't that impressed and don't consider it worth the premium doesn't mean I haven't shot one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Same reason why we talk about cars we'll never get to own and women we'll never get to date.

Me, I love my Lorcin and my crack whore.

Dawg - choo gots ta tighten ya game up. If yous a betta pimp den ya gets da betta hoes. Betta hoes gets ya mo grip. Mo grip en betta hoes means dem rich johns - who gots dem phat guns dat you kin steal wit yo Lorcin.

Dats da hype

Member G - mind on yo money, money on yo mind
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I aspire to shoot a Jennings and a Lorcin.

I just have yet to meet someone that actually admits to owning such a piece of crap.

Truth be told - I have never even seen one up close and personal.

Talk about sheltered.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most people don't have much experience with anyones but their own.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most people don't have much experience with anyones but their own.

So.... what about gay dudes?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I see the peanut gallery has spoken - just because it appears on your screen at AR15.com seems to be enough to validate for some.....

Still contend that thread reply authors should confess the limitations of the "knowledge" - like:  

- I've heard that....
- In my 1000 rounds through one, I found....
- I read somewhere and it is my sorry role in life to parrot what I've read because I am desperate to have a 'life' even it means viacariously by repeating other mens' words, and they say....

Here

I agree and you are correct. Most people have not even held or shot one-hundredth of what they speak about. Dreamers and Pundits you are so right. These folks like to boast what they have never done. Bottom line they read too much and shoot too little.

I have attached a photo .... Photos speak for themselves.

Nice to have a reasonable and honest post once in a while..........By the way those threads that followed your post are dreamers.........

and

What a bunch of dinks.  You made an honest comment and the wannabes start frothing at the mouth.

and so on....

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I aspire to shoot a Jennings and a Lorcin.

I just have yet to meet someone that actually admits to owning such a piece of crap.

Truth be told - I have never even seen one up close and personal.

Talk about sheltered.

I own a Raven .25! Its a pre-Phoenix Raven; therefore, it more valuable
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why do people comment on Guns they haven't shot?

Because they think they can BS their way to some kind of prominence on this board like they have on others. The people that own one pistol and feel compelled to jump in and tell everyone how great it is no matter what the original topic are a waste of space as well. Kind of like bugs at a picnic; irritating, but what can you do about them?  
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Agreed, everyone badmouths the Norinco M1A's and I never had anyone tell me of personal problems they have had with the gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with you in theory, but IMHO you are just coming off as a bit of an ass with this post.  

People BS, whether it is online or in person behind a couple beers.  No need to demean them or insinuate that they have no useful knowledge of firearms.  Just nod politely and say to yourself 'what a moron.'

Or a really simple solution if you don't want to listen to anyone (whether or not they know anything), just run out and buy yourself a Sig550 sniper and report your range review to us lowly AR15.com wannabes...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I am glad no one has covered my reason yet....
TO INCREASCE MY POST COUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been in the military(infantry) and I work for a police department.  I've shot alot of guns and go based on the company.  H&K, Colt, BM, and etc....
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Man, Dont diss the Lorcin and the tek-9, I was born and raised in Los Angeles shooting those puppies. LOL

Speaking of which, I must agree with Clipper. I dont remember on what forum it was, but some guy asked for advice on a pistol, and then this other dude says "blahblah." I had no clue what he was talking about even though i owned that mentioned gun. Really hurt my head.

As for the Steyr Scout? I'd really like to try one out someday, I'm certainly becoming a big fan of the scout setup on rifles.
And if you got a sig 550, please let me try. That is one beautiful rifle. I can't believe all able bodied men in Switzerland get that rifle to keep in their homes after required service. Makes me sooo jealous.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#23]
If anybody thought I was making personal attacks they either are feeling guilty or misread my complaint.

It is extreme to totally discount info that is 'just passed around' but do remember the proof is in the puddin'.

It is a privilege to share what we learn with our fellows - we just need to make sure that what we share has some fact to go with the BS....

In the end the best rifle/pistol/shotgun is one you can handle well, have confidence in, and meets your reliability & quality standards.

Still burns when you read (or hear) this or that being slagged by mock-pundits who won't afford the price of admission by either obtaining one of the pieces to use or by getting enough shooting experience on one to have a worthy opinion.

One of MY favorite things to ask these self-appointed gurus technical questions that their response will tell me right away whether they have ever handled the weapon (or flown the plane, or driven the cycle/car/boat or whatever).

In aircraft I like to ask they about fuel management and the fuel system.  If you have any significant time in a type of aircraft you'll know its fuel system in and out.  Separates the men from the boys real quick.

In firearms the question will vary - perhaps on what did you think of the grip attachment or some disassembly feature.  

I also enjoy introducing folk to weapon types that they haven't tried before.  It is only fair!

best regards,

Clipper

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Should also mention that if you are not smart enough to self-select away from poorly made junk guns you are doing the rest of us a favor in a darwinistic matter of speaking.

Some of these so called junk makes can be reworked to provide adequate service - but it is a chore and unless you did the work yourself it might be hard to ever have any confidence in the piece.

Better to use your senses and select a well finished and manufactured weapon - then spend the effort to 'perfect it'.

AND just because you can select out the junky makes doesn't mean you know sqwat about weapons - sort of like if by a taste test you can tell the dogshit in a bowl sure doesn't mean you can claim you're an expert on French Cooking!

regards,

Clipper
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Ditto on the Chinese M14's Just because Clint Mckee or whatever his name is at the FULTON ARMORY says its just gotta be true.
It couldnt be because he wants to use this propaganda to sell you his $1,299.00+tax parts kit WTF!
Yet you see Polytech and Norinco M14's at the range not blowing up in people hands.And you ask about them they say they are great and never had any problems what so ever with them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#27]

One of MY favorite things to ask these self-appointed gurus technical questions that their response will tell me right away whether they have ever handled the weapon (or flown the plane, or driven the cycle/car/boat or whatever).

In aircraft I like to ask they about fuel management and the fuel system. If you have any significant time in a type of aircraft you'll know its fuel system in and out. Separates the men from the boys real quick.

In firearms the question will vary - perhaps on what did you think of the grip attachment or some disassembly feature.

And this accomplishes what?

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

In aircraft I like to ask they about fuel management and the fuel system. If you have any significant time in a type of aircraft you'll know its fuel system in and out. Separates the men from the boys real quick.

And this accomplishes what?

Gives you a technique to establish whether the self-proclaimed pundit actually has the intimate knowledge of the weapon (or other item they are espousing upon) that usually is only developed by intense actual contact with the item they are offering opinion upon.

In simple terms it ferrets out their bonefides - whether they are just another 'armchair quarterback' or someone who's stood on the field firing the weapon being discussed.

I'm sure you must be using some sort of technique to discriminate in this fashion already.  Or perhaps only subconciously?

regards,

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top