Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 6/14/2002 8:31:58 PM EDT
Easy one.....

What is the specific function of the gas rings on the bolt AND the cloverleaf where the gas tube enters the upper reciever?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:50:14 PM EDT
The gas rings keep the area inside the carrier behind the rings pressurized so the gas may push the carrier and bolt apart and thus cycle the action, much like how expanding gases from burnt gasoline push down on a piston in an engine.

As for the cloverleaf, I can't find anything in the TM about it, so I don't worry about it. It would be a nice tidbit to know though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:57:15 PM EDT
The cloverleafs for good luck man. Didn't you know an Irshman designed the AR-15??

Why did god invent beer? So the Irish wouldn't rule the world.

(yes, i'm Irish)
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:29:21 PM EDT
Hahahahahahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:29:07 AM EDT
the clover leaf is to keep the gas tube centered & to allow gas to escape, thus it's open design
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:38:22 AM EDT
I ysed to think I knew a lot, then I found out that I am dumber then a box of rocks. I get smarter every day, or then again maybe I dont.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:19:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CactusJack:
the clover leaf is to keep the gas tube centered & to allow gas to escape, thus it's open design

To allow gas to escape? Isn't that what the two holes in the side of the carrier are for? Not to mention, the entire ejection port is there. When the carrier moves back, the gas squirts out the gas tube into the upper receiver itself, so I don't see how they could think that a cloverleaf would "help" gas escape better than it already was.

Are there any references or reading material regarding the cloverleaf, and their reasoning behind it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:31:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CactusJack:

BS meter is high.
GG
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:50:32 PM EDT
The clover leaf allows gas that gets around the gas tube a place to go besides just into the upper recvr. Untill the bolt carrier moves back far enough to uncover the vent holes the gas will bypass the gas tube tip and out the carrier key. That is why you get so much carbon buildup in the clover shaped hole and around the gas tube between the recvr and delta-ring.

"BS meter returning to normal operating range"
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:50:59 PM EDT
Notice that the diameter of the gasrings, when compressed, are approximately equal to the head diameter of the 5.56 cartridge. The tail of the bolt closes off the rear of the bolt carrier pretty well, and the gas entering that space behind the gas rings pushes the bold carrier back, but also, it pushes forward on the bolt (and thus the cartridge). It helps to equalize the rearward force of the bolt, taking the load off the lugs, and allowing easier unlocking of the bolt.

The cloverleaf... right away, as gas enters the carrier key, the imperfect fit of the end of the gas tube and the carrier key allow leakage. This shoots forward, and most of it is allowed out through those openings ("cloverleaf"). You will see stains on the gas tube and upper rx out front.

As the carrier starts back, the two holes open and bleed off all excess gas. If the carrier speed is relatively high (from a high pressure round) these holes open earlier, and bleed off more gas. And vice versa. So, in a way, it is partly self regulating, to allow a relatively wide range of gas pressure and still function reliably.

What a great design, huh?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:37:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2002 5:38:32 AM EDT by CactusJack]
gunguru,
you apparently never fired or cleaned an AR-15.......

stupid meter very high

& getting higher
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:01:08 AM EDT
Alright, call me stupid, but what's a cloverleaf? I can't find that part in the TM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:31:32 PM EDT
My dog's poop smells like shit.
Top Top