Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/14/2002 2:34:45 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a WW2 era Luger pistol in 9mm. He says it is in good shape, is this a valueable firearm or should he just admire it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:41:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CanadianGunNut:
A friend of mine has a WW2 era Luger pistol in 9mm. He says it is in good shape, is this a valueable firearm or should he just admire it?

www.lugerforum.com
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:24:53 PM EDT
There's only about a gazillion variables on Lugers. Everything from proof markings to type to place of mfgr. Nothing worng in shooting it, however, I would first replace the recoil spring as it probably has the original spring.

FWIW, I used my Luger to shoot my qual for my CCL. >gg<

As a worthless piece of trivia, the most valuable Luger sold for a cool $1mil. It was one of three made in .45acp to be used in the Army testing in 1909 to replace the ree-volver as the side-arm of choice. One was shot to pieces during testing, one completely disappeared & the third was sold.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:26:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:36:29 PM EDT
I thought there were only 2 45 Lugers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 10:24:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macloud:

According to the article (I think), it said there were three. I've slept since then so you could be correct. >gg<
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:14:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

According to the article (I think), it said there were three. I've slept since then so you could be correct. >gg<

I beg too differ; I was watching "Wall Street" on cable last night and Michael Douglas' charecter (while showing off his own .45 cal Luger from his gun collection) clearly stated that there were only *6* made.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:45:25 PM EDT
Sounds kind of like the Singer 1911's .. 2 that singer owns and one floating around the world.. I found one on gunsamerica for 26000 bucks but I highly doubt its really there
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:51:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JasonF:
I beg too differ; I was watching "Wall Street" on cable last night and Michael Douglas' charecter (while showing off his own .45 cal Luger from his gun collection) clearly stated that there were only *6* made.

There have been .45acp Lugers made by only in recent mfgr. I don't know if it was Stoeger or whomever it is down in Texas (American Eagle?) that makes that S/S Luger.

But for the military trials in 1909 (or whatever year it was) there were only 2 or 3 actually made in Germany & brought to the trials.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:39:03 PM EDT
Here are two lugers for sale to give you an idea:
www.csmilitary.com/firearms.htm

Luger
1918 with holster $750.00

Luger
1916 with holster $750.00

Those prices are Canadian so hope that helps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:52:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

There have been .45acp Lugers made by only in recent mfgr. I don't know if it was Stoeger or whomever it is down in Texas (American Eagle?) that makes that S/S Luger.

I was watching "Tales of the Gun" on the History channel concerning the history and development of the P-08. They had one guy who still made .45 cal Lugers in his home workshop.
Beautiful looking handguns but also very expensive. That big .45 cal bore on a such a slender tapered barrel made it look bigger than it actually was.
Top Top