Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 1:59:21 PM EDT
Are Springfield Armory (the private company)factory .45acp magazines Great, Good or Bad? I have one of the "Loaded Coupons" and can buy up to ten factory mags for about $9.00 each. I'd like to buy them if I can be confident that I'm not simply adding to my box of "USA" and other junk mags. Input please. Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If the say 'shooting star' on the follower, I have some and they work just fine, never had a problem with those.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
At that price, I'd buy them. If they don't work in your gun you could always trade them off.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The "Shooting Star" mags are Chip McCormick mags.  You won't get those from Springfield.

My Springfield mags worked great in my Springfield gun (I bought them with the coupon too).  Up until it came time to compete with them.  I'm still not sure what my problem was - many FTEs (stovepipes) including two that locked the mag in the gun.  Not a single problem till that time and I don't know yet if I can blame it on the mags.  I personally don't think it was a mag problem, but have been told it may be.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get them, my six rounders for the compact are fine. When I carry though I only carry Wilson MAgs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got six SA mags that came with three different guns, and they are all....problematic.

They all have [had] that little bump on the follower. The bump seemed to cause the last round to hang up most of the time. Filed off ther bump, no more problem.

I buy Shooting Star eight rounders. Some people don't like them, but I've never had a problem with them. The SA factory mags work fine too, now, but I don't trust them for anything but range mags.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top