Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 10:28:36 AM EDT
It's summertime again when all of us who carry handguns try to make our fashion attire fit around our concealed carry weapons.  We also give ourselves excuses why we need to buy a new weapon, blah blah blah.  

Anyway looking at the dimensions of guns out there you know something "what is compact?"

I mean look that the Classic Compact Sig 245.
http://www.sigarms.com/products/classiccompactsize-models.asp?product_id=38&product_name=P245

Caliber   ACPOverall Length  Overall Height
.45       7.1 inches           5.0 inches

Overall Width  Barrel Length  Weight w/o Mag
1.4 inches      3.9 inches      27.5 oz

Now lets look at the specs for a full size Glock 22.   http://www.glock.com/g22.htm
Caliber   ACPOverall Length  Overall Height
.40       7.32 inches           5.43 inches

Overall Width  Barrel Length  Weight w/o Mag
1.14 inches      4.49 inches      22.92 oz

Yes the Sig has an overall less height but it's thicker.  Is it just me or have you guys ever thought about this.  Reason being I've thought about purchasing a sig 245 but my Glock 22 is just about the same size.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure that my Kel-Tec P32, even with the 10rnd mag/extension, is a compact.  But I agree with you fully.  Even the SIG P228/229's aren't really compact, just a little more manageable when not on a traditional duty belt/holster.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Both of those are huge, despite their names.

Skip what the Mfgs say, they are introducing a new pistol, and need to call it something.

My G27 is pretty small, but I'd say my SEECAMP is "compact."  
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I always thought the Government Model was "compact" enough.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Names don't really mean a whole lot (as you've discovered). I was looking at a USP compact. But to call that compact is like calling USS Nimitz a dinghy. From the manufacturer's perspective, it looks like more of a comparative term (i.e. the USP compact is smaller than the USP full size -- which somebody described as being a crew served weapon).

If you're looking for a compact to go a long with your G22, I would think that the G27 would be the natural choice. Of course, you could go even smaller with some of the other guns mentioned but then you're likely stepping down in caliber as well -- to a .380 or less.

Ultimately I'd answer "What's a compact?" with "I can't define it but I know it when I see it."
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Literal: A model which is smaller than its full-size contemporary, e.g. USP Compact vs. USP,

or

2. Subjective: A model which is suitably small for most users to consider "compact", i.e. a 3 1/16" SP-101 might be considered 'kinda compact' to most people, but could be 'full sized' to a 4'10" 100lb person.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Walther PPK/S. Yeah, .380 isn't my first choice, but my PPK/S shoots remarkably well, and if shot placement is there, the bad guy drops.....even with a .380
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W "preagreement" 3913 and 3914.

Single stack and very compact.  Handles better than other compacts I've fired, including the Kahr K9 (which I was utterly unimpressed with -- but then again, I haven't carried one enough to be impressed with the smaller dimensions).
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a SIG 245. It was a little too thick, and it had a little too much muzzle flip.

Sold it and got a Kimber compact CDP. Thinner, prettier, less muzzle flip.

I will give SIG this much. Had three of them (still have one). Extremely reliable. I've got 5000+ through a SIG P229 40SW with six failures to feed. My 220 and 245 may have failed to feed once or twice, but I don't recall it. They are excellent in the reliabilty department. I just grew to dislike the trigger pull after I started shooting 1911s.

As for the original question, what is a compact. There are smaller weapons than a compact 1911. I usually carry a five shot SW M60 .357, but in a semi-auto, I'll take a small 1911 in .45ACP. There are smaller choices, but a compact 1911 is flat enough to conceal with light attire and it's hard to beat .45ACP in a pistol caliber.

JMHO
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with M4, but I prefer the "fancier" kraut PPK gun knock off, the SIG 232. Same caliber, same looks, same capacity but with the big sig features like a decocker for ready chamber use.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If it fits between the butt cheeks its really compact, makes ya walk kinda funny.
No one would suspect the guy in the speedo, right?
I say dress for the occasion,
Lebrew
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If it fits between the butt cheeks its really compact, makes ya walk kinda funny.

so many things to say, but im gonna leave this one alone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I view compact as like this. Lay your hand flat on a table fingers extended but touching each other. Now place whatever firearm you're trying to classify as compact on top of your hand. If it doesnt fit within the outline of your hand then it really isnt compact, is it.So it really boils down to the size of the person is relative to how concealable the weapon will be. I agree with SJ about the SIG228. Its not really compact, but I'll carry it a little bit easier than my govt size 45. For super compact concealed carry I still have my old Grendel P-12. Same designer for Kel Tec made these a while back. Its a micro size bellywhomper when its stoked with  12 .380 cor-bons!I can literally fit it in the palm of my hand and I can dump it in my pants pocket and not attract attention at all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
S&W Airlite PD .38 special.  10.7 ounces.  Only 5 rounds, but I'm more likely to carry it than not (can't even feel the weight) and 5 .38 slugs to the chest should stop most mortals (plus it's better than fists!)
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Choo gotta trow da holster inta da mix 2.

I go about with USP .45C on all da times in ah Milt Sparks IWB. I laugh - ha ha - cuz I most times have shirt tucked in - over gun. Dis very confusing for Round Eye. He no think I have gun on hip. It no make a bulge either.

Weight not a problem - I buff dish face.

G-27 is fat. Like constipated stool that go "sploosh" and not frawl apart in bowl. I laugh at Round Eye again, cuz I can carry G27 on small pencil ankle all day and he no know.

Seecamp / Keltec look rilly small. But I say others not too big to hide from Round Eye. Why send  boy to do a mans jobs?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#15]
That would be my "COMPACT MODEL" 1911, says so on the slide right below the ejection port.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:00:53 AM EDT
[#16]
My Glock 27 is as compact as I want to get.  With the Pearce +1 mag extensions it's perfect and very controllable.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I did the "hand" test with my P239. Just slightly (1/2") longer than my hand (past my middle finger) and 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the width of my hand (past the bottom of my palm). In .40S&W, it's pretty damn nice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#18]
My Kimber Ultra CDP is my choise for compact pistol. It's more "compact" than my full size Kimber Stainless Classic!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top