Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 7:11:13 PM EDT
I have a CMP M1, which is a great shooter, but I'd like to get an M1a in the future.  

Since the M1a is basically an improved Garand, I have to ask is it really that much better?  Aside from improved accuracy (which could vary from rifle to rifle) and the 20rd mag, are there any other differences?  (better sights, less recoil, ease of stripping/cleaning, etc?)  Thanks...
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say the M-14 is a vast improvement for all the reasons that you stated plus a few others.
7.62mm NATO is very close in performance to M-2 ball and is very, very plentiful and should be for a long time. The M-14 has the option of affordable surplus synthetic stocks. The M-14 is easier to mount optics on (though there is some debate on how to obtain a good stock weld). I own both and there is no noticeable difference in recoil. Aside from the magazine capacity, you can also top off the M-14 with stripper clips, can't do it with the M-1. I think the M-14 is easier to field strip, but that's my opinion. Forgot to mention the chrome lined barrel on the M-14, a must have for a battle rifle IMO. Oh yeah, the flash suppressor. I know they got through WWII and Korea without them but they added them for a reason, it was a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Chrome lined barrel on M14????  Show me.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't believe they were ever the rule, and they aren't now either.  Most have a Chrome-moly barrel
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My 1963 TRW GI barrel is chrome lined.  I think they all were, but I would have to look that up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I assure you every standard U.S.G.I. M-14 barrel is chrome lined bore and chamber. I won't debate the piont other than to say that if we are talking about standard U.S.G.I. M-14 barrels then you (Frontsight) are misinformed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of it.  I could be absolutely wrong, and you seem convinced that I am.  Can you refer me to a mil-spec document from that era concerning the M14?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
What Sukebe sayes is correct---All USGI M14 barrels are hard chrome plated. So are the Chinese mfg barrels.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not convinced that you are wrong. The fact that you are right or wrong is not a point I am interested in. Yes, I can refer you to a "Mil-Spec. document from that era". It will tell you what I have told you. I will refer you to that document, which is on a table near me when you refer me to a "Mil-Spec. document" that says otherwise. That, I would like to see. I won't waste my time waiting, such a document does not exist.

Sukebe out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
It ain't a mil. document, but Duff's M14 Owner's Guide has several references to the G.I. M14 barrell being chrome lined, National Match barrells were not. A quick flip through and it showed up on pages 25, 97, and 100. Probably more to be found in there as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I contacted Springfield a while back and they assured me the two standard models use chrome-lined GI barrels. The "Loaded" or better models use match barrels.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Okeydokey. I think I'll go back to my match rifles and shut the F up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]
.308 surplus ammo is much cheaper than .30-06.

Personally, I think the M1A has less recoil than the M1. Not a huge difference per round, but AFTER an 80 rd. match, it adds up!!!

Throw in detach mags, and an inherently more accurate rifle, and on paper, the M1A is the much better rifle.

But if I HAD to give on up, it'd be the M1A.

Ain't nuthin' else that's got what the M1 got. And if I have to explain that to ya, you'll NEVER understand it.

Persoanlly, NEITHER rifle should be scoped, IMO.

Course, if you wanna gimme an M1C or D, I'd be willin' to give her a good home!!!!

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't shot an M1A/M14, but I find the M1 rather pleasant to shoot.  It gives a good shove, but not a hard kick.  I could shoot mine all day with no form of padding, just a teeshirt between me and the steel buttplate.  

I used to be very recoil sensitive... when I had lost weight due to a stomach problem, I used to have a .303British that would hurt after about a dozen rounds.  Now that I'm back up to weight, even a little heavier, recoil doesn't bother me as much.

Again, the M1 is a pleasure to shoot, just gives you a good shove.

On that note, has anyone noticed in Saving Private Ryan, the M1's they have don't kick?  I'd be willing to bet I'm heavier and sturdier than that Matt Damon prick, and the M1 rocks me back, so it would probably knock  him on his ass!  hehehe...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought that in movies they shoot blanks so I wouldnt think that would kick... which is why Keanu Reeves could shoot 2 sub machine guns in both hands in the matrix.... all full auto...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I used to be very recoil sensitive... when I had lost weight due to a stomach problem, I used to have a .303British that would hurt after about a dozen rounds.  Now that I'm back up to weight, even a little heavier, recoil doesn't bother me as much.

Again, the M1 is a pleasure to shoot, just gives you a good shove.

See, now I'm SOOOO fat that I don't move at all with the M1 recoil. The buttplate just mashes the meat in between it and my shoulder bone, and it begins to hurt after a while.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The M14 gas system is a great improvement over the M1's.  It is far less sensitive to pressure curve variations do to different powder burn rates and it allows a nice straight op rod that can't get bent or broken as easily if the pressure does spike a bit. Getting rid of that front handguard is also a nice thing.  One less piece of loose rattling crap to muck up accuracy.

That said, the M1 has a lot of class. I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]
The M14 is bad as hell,I shot the M4,M16A2,M1garand and carbine i have to say the M14 i liked the most followed by the M16A2.
The Garand is cool and i still believe a very viable combat weapon.8 rounds of .30-06 aint nothing to mess with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top