Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 4:05:59 PM EDT
If i were to get a thumbhole stock like one the ones pictures below, could i then put a threaded barrel on my AR?  Becuase a pistol grip is an "evil" feature, could i put jsut a threaded barrel on instead?? thanks for the help.  please say yes..... also is DPMS'  flash hider any good?

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to be the one to pee in your punchbowl, but you can't use a thumbhole stock to replace the grip as an evil feature.  BATF considers the thumbhole stock to still be an evil feature (like a regular grip) for purposes of 922(v).
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
hmm, well that really blows,

dumb BATF...... [>(]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt this is relevant but I've owned two (only five are known to exist) pre-ban ArmaLite AR-180 SCS rifles.  The AR-180 SCS came configured from the factory with flash suppressor, bayonet lug, etc., wooden furniture with thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
the wording is it "conceals a pistol grip"

that being the ruling i dont know how the MAK90 made it, along with a host of others. hell, on a posty uzi it really does conceal a pistol grip
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
so is there any way around the pistol grip for the AR?   i really want an accurate, spr type rifle.

I was lookin at a 24" heavy threaded barrel.  I really want one, please tell me there is a way.  lol  :Þ   thanks for the input so far

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
thier is, the ZM weapons ugly thing. i will retreave a pic shortly. i dont get what your going for thought, please explaine
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]

i dont imagin thats very fun to shoot. dont do it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
okay, yeah that thing is ugly as shit, and prolly just as bad to shoot.  I was thinkin something like the stock handle type hand grip that is on like a remington 700 or comperable.
h

I'm going to get a SSG3000 very soon, and love the idea of having a flash hider, and prolly a supressor.  

again, lemme say i hate the BATF! they suck soo much, grr.  thanks for the help
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Three questions -

(1) what the hell is a "spr type" rifle ?

(2) if you want a flash supressor, why don't you just buy a pre-ban rifle (or lower that used to be in a rifle before '94)?

(3) if you want a heavy 24" barrel, why would you want it to be threaded?  If you're looking for high accuracy, any muzzle attachment is likely to hurt accuracy.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Three questions -

(2) if you want a flash supressor, why don't you just buy a pre-ban rifle (or lower that used to be in a rifle before '94)?

(3) if you want a heavy 24" barrel, why would you want it to be threaded?  If you're looking for high accuracy, any muzzle attachment is likely to hurt accuracy.

spr is Special Purpose rifle. basicly a designated marksman type weapon. here is one made by crane for special ops

i get what your going for, but if you were going to undertake the cost or an SPR, get a preban. some of the fulton armory stuff might be up your alley.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i dont imagin thats very fun to shoot. dont do it.

What the hell kinda "Morphodyke" POS is THAT??!
LOOK AT IT.
It is a (sshhhh):
1.  deformed pistol grip bent an additional 45-degrees to the horizontal position...
2.  a thumbhole without a hole...
3.  a sorry-ass excuse to keep people from having a pistol grip or thumbhole stock.

What a freakin' joke.
The whole assault weapons ban and the rest of the attendant non-sensical crap should be repealed immediately.
Sorry.  Rant mode is shutting down now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Three questions -

spr is Special Purpose rifle. basicly a designated marksman type weapon. here is one made by crane for special ops

i get what your going for, but if you were going to undertake the cost or an SPR, get a preban. some of the fulton armory stuff might be up your alley.

That was my thinking - and the reson for my questions.  If you're talking about expensive laminated thumbhole stocks and expensive heavy barrels to try to build something like the picture posted by mattsd, it's going to cost a LOT of money - and a pre-ban receiver will only be a small part of that.

Not to mention that if the reason for the "threaded barrel" is a sound supressor and not a flash supressor, then we're talking about big bucks for a Class 3 FFL (if I'm not mistaken), or a felony charge and a trip to Club Fed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top