Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 4:08:51 AM EDT
I'm buying a S&W Airweight from a friend at work and I think I might have found a gem.
He let me take it home for the weekend and here's what I've got

Its in the original box, still has the Nox-Rust wrapper, warranty card and 2 page instruction booklet. The warranty card and box are both dated April 1955. It's Nickle plated, 2 inch barrel.

I spent about an hour cleaning it up and it's  in pristine condition. It looks like it was fired twice because I only found a little powder residue in 2 of the chambers. There are no marks on the cylinder, topstrap or forcing cone. The fit and finish is outstanding.

My questions are,
Did S&W make the Airweight in the 50s?
Would you shoot it, and is it worth $400.00?

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#1]
All old S&W boxes are dated 1955. Smith did make a model 36 airwieght in the 50s. $400 is at the high end of the price range, but for a pristine pistol with original box and papers it's not ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you found an "original" airweight. The price seems fair given the great condition of the gun. Nice find!

Quoted:
I'm buying a S&W Airweight from a friend at work and I think I might have found a gem.
He let me take it home for the weekend and here's what I've got

Its in the original box, still has the Nox-Rust wrapper, warranty card and 2 page instruction booklet. The warranty card and box are both dated April 1955. It's Nickle plated, 2 inch barrel.

I spent about an hour cleaning it up and it's  in pristine condition. It looks like it was fired twice because I only found a little powder residue in 2 of the chambers. There are no marks on the cylinder, topstrap or forcing cone. The fit and finish is outstanding.

My questions are,
Did S&W make the Airweight in the 50s?
Would you shoot it, and is it worth $400.00?

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Does S&W actually manufacture Airweights?  I seem to remember the question coming to mind when reading some S&W sales literature.  Seems like they kept hinting the Airweight has a different manufacturing process.  Miz Arock has a Model 642 for concealed carry when the G19 doesn't work.  She likes the 642 and always loads low pressure ammunition to keep it from biting the hand that feeds it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
AAA

Check the grips. If they have the diamonds around the grip screws then it's probably an early gun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
price Sounds a little high to me. I would not go more than $275 on one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it a 5 shot or a 6 shot?

If there is a model designation stamped under the yoke, it was made after about 1957.  If none, it was made before then.

If it has a model number, it probably will be a Model 12 if a 6 shot or a Model 37 if a five shot.

You can also narrow down the date of manufacture by the existence (or absence) of a screw on right side of the frame near the top (by the hammer); and by the existence a screw along the front, center, outside of the triggerguard where it joins the frame.  

The first screw was dispensed with maybe 1955 or so.  The second screw was eliminated maybe 1961.   I believe these dates can vary a bit depending on the model.

Actually, it should be pretty easy to track down the date of manufacture based on the serial number.

Price sounds a bit high, esp. if it’s a model 12.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, the S&W Airweights were the aluminum frames. Mine was the Mdl. 38 w/ hammer shroud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top