Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2002 2:22:20 PM EDT
Which weighs less?  Opinions on either?  I'm now thinking of placing a BM V-match flip up front sight up there to work with the swan sleeve.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My sentiments are with the fluted heavy profile. The M4 weighs less, but fluting the heavy pares off some weight. I handled a heavy Colt (non-fluted) & it was fine to me. Fluting only makes it more practical. I'm planning a similar project, albeit a PRI flipper & fluted BM heavy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't speak for the fluted, but the M4 version is nice and much lighter than the HBAR. Fluting does look neat, but how much will show on a Dissapator.

Really there is no wrong choice. I think fluting may not be available this year with the volume Bushmaster is doing.

M4-AK
(M4-D)code for M4 dissapator
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh the M4 weighs less than fluting, but can't remember how much off hand. I think wait here it is.

Okay I found it.

M4Dis           2.3 lbs
HbarDis         3.0 lbs
HbarDis Fluted  2.6 lbs

M4-AK
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The M4 weighs less but I think the fluted is the much better choice. The fluted will "dissipate" heat better and is stronger.
I have just ordered A fluted dissipator from Bushy and they said they are planing to run a batch of fluted barels some time next month.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, to add on to that, I called Bushmaster today around 10am EST and had a great conversation with the rep.  He told me that it would be a 4-8 week wait for fluted 16" barrels should they be ordered this week.

The moderate weight doesn't bother me too much, seeing that I'd rather have a nice rifle assembled to my exact desires.  Besides, 5 years from now 2 months will be a speck on the memory sheet.

I think I'll go fluted, thanks all!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Expect a 7.1 lb rifle with A2 sights for an M4-dis version without mag or sling.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
wow, that's light!  I'll assume the fluted hbar can't be too much more than that.  Do you know M4-AK?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
wow, that's light!  I'll assume the fluted hbar can't be too much more than that.  Do you know M4-AK?

So I est 7.4 lbs. w/A2upper. BTW, .1 lb is 1.6oz.

Variably about .3 lbs more than an M4 model. Want to save weight, get an A1 upper. Add an A3 and a carry handle and gain considerably more weight.

An HBAR Dis A2 is 7.68lbs kinda heavy. All depends on what you want it for. The HBAR holds well, and is very stable under rapid fire. Great for target shooting etc.

Anyway, 7.4 feels pretty light comparitively.
The M4 swings and carries nicely.
M4-AK
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#9]
M4-AK,

Where are you getting your figures?
I would like to check some other weights while I am thinking about it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel qualified to speak on this issue, for various reasons...

My HBAR Dissipator is a heavy little bastard, compared to my SP1 (pencil bbl).  

However, that heavy little bbl is the reason that I have never needed a muzzle brake on the rifle.  

My non-brake HBAR Dissipator shoots much nicer than the SP1 (which HAS a muzzle brake)

Remember that with a carbine, control is the name of the game... if you make the rifle too light to control- you've got a nice light rifle that is fun to carry but a bitch to shoot.

For what it's worth anyway, I've never been a big believer in fluting 16" bbls- the 0.7lbs of extra weight isn't gonna kill you (unless you're a girly-man).  
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Another option might be to go with a Bushy 20" Govt Profile barrel
send it off to Kurt..have him build a Kurtzgewehr and put one of his nice brakes on it for you..you get the gas port opened up for reliablility and the longer gas tube..and you get a fairly lt. wt. rifle.

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the 16" fluted Dissy with no break is the way to go.  The M4 sounds groovy and it's light weight is tempting but I'm catching some vibes that the fluting adds some practicality the M4 doesn't.  Plus, SOME weight is good to balance the recoil.

I know it's squawking over tenths of pounds and such, but hey, we're all fanatics, otherwise we wouldn't be on this site!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top