Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 1:07:16 AM EDT
The Rangers , and some other units , recently discharged the M203 in favour of the older M79 , waiting for the new H&K grenade launcher , anyone knows why ?
thanks,
PP out
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Really? I havent heard this. Not to say it isnt true. My father was a Ranger and told me about the M203 being combersome when shooting the M16. I personally would much rather have an M79 as a seperate weapon slung to my right side than having it mounted to my rifle. This is how I carry a shotgun on FTX's. If I had a DD license and had my choice between an M203 or an M79 I would choose the latter. I would imagine the M79 is faster to reload also.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
DOesnt HK already have a grenade launcher thats portable? The one with the collapsible Stock, it looks  a lot lighter than the m79.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah,it's the AG36

PP out
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
DOesnt HK already have a grenade launcher thats portable? The one with the collapsible Stock, it looks  a lot lighter than the m79.

That would be the HK69.  You can see it in use in "Ronin" when DeNiro takes out the lead car in the convoy.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always believed that they should bring back the M-79.
Issue them to Officers, Foward Air Controllers, and Forward Observers.

Great for signalling and marking targets (maybe even mount a laser on 'em).
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahhh,
A friend of mine in the USMC just showed me a video tape of some field exercises. In one segment, they were shooting the belt fed MK-19 mod 3 at at old Czech APC. It blew it to shit. Wow, that is some major power. I've heard that a few civillians do actually own those things. Wonder how much they go for. Probably a lot more than my car.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ahhh,
A friend of mine in the USMC just showed me a video tape of some field exercises. In one segment, they were shooting the belt fed MK-19 mod 3 at at old Czech APC. It blew it to shit. Wow, that is some major power. I've heard that a few civillians do actually own those things. Wonder how much they go for. Probably a lot more than my car.

Probably more than your HOUSE. IIRC, only THREE are legally available.....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Rofl, three eh? Well looks like there are three guys out there with some very nice toys. Man, to be blowing off the 40mm rounds like that, argghh, makes my heard hurt. I believe each round is classified as a DD right? I'd like maybe one or two just for the collection.

Scott, how'd you find out there were three legally available?

Hey check dis out,
This guy has a semi auto version available for sale,

www.azweapons.com/37_40mMain.html

Damn, $28,000, so it costs just a tad bit less than my car.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
We get those 40mm "flare launchers" over here to go on our SIG rifles:

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Scott, how'd you find out there were three legally available?

Hey check dis out,

IIRC, I saw an ad where someone was selling one of the three legal ones in civilian hands. The ad included the line "one of only three legally available", or some such.....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What the heck, i thought Canada has diddly squat available to the public. =oX
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the heck, i thought Canada has diddly squat available to the public. =oX

I thought Canada used C7 and C8 versions of the M16A2?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Scarecrow do you have on of those Sig Rifles?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Just so you know, the rifle/launcher combo that Scarecrow has in the pic is available for purchase by anyone who has the required paperwork up here (basically anyone who can own a hunting rifle or shotgun can buy it).  The only problem is that that combination in the picture will cost you in excess of $4,000.00 (The rifle is over two grand and the same for the launcher - in fact, I think the launcher actuall costs more than the rifle itself).  BTW, that launcher is in fact a 40mm and not 37mm.  

DScottHewitt, you are right.  The Canadian military does currently still use the C7 Rifle and C8 Carbine.

hsld
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]
At my job we use the stupid looking 37 mm. I know it does not accept 40mm cartridges but it is similar in performance. It also is effective at 100 meters.
Knee knockers are wonderful
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hey check dis out,

Made clickable....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
If this is true, it's a long time coming...

M79 has quite a selection of fine consumables, stuff the M203 could only dream about.

Should never have done away with it IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top