Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2002 8:00:08 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do to fix a tight mag well.  I have a Essential Arms lower and the mags I have seem to be tight.  I have a colt 20 rounder and a orlite mag.  They are both tight.  I believe that the company I bought the weapon from refinished it.  This seems to have added some extra in the mag well adding to the tight well.  Is there anything I can to do fix this?  It was tighter, but has loosened up a little, not a lot.  Any ideas would be helpful.  Thanks.

Jon
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem just a couple weeks ago.  here's some advice i got.  it turned out to be all mags for me but after a lil filing of the trigger guard it's taking all mags 100% and they drop free!

Check that the trigger guard is not the problem.
Make sure it is not related to the upper or bolt catch. If not,mark all over a mag with white chalk and insert it fully. Remove the mag and see where the chalk is removed. File those areas inside the magwell that correspond to the areas that the chalk was rubbed off. Take 5 swipes with the file,then repeat the above til it fits well.
Generally takes less than 3 minutes.

cpermd

Before you start grinding on your lower have you tried using different mags??

I have 2 Oly lowers and 1 Bushy. The Oly's are both tighter. I was using Center Industries mags and they were really tight in both Oly rifles.

Then I bought some Okay mags and they fit perfectly. They slide in and drop free easily. Also Thermolds fit great for me too and drop free.

Maybe this will help you out and keep you from messing up your mag well if you don't have to.

NightHawk

Wow, it is a Center Industries mag that i'm using. Only mag i have at the moment.

And it is getting caught on the trigger guard. Before i start filing the trigger guard i'll get my hands on some other mags and see how they work.

Thanks for the help guys.
Stone
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't do anything to the rifle till you check the mags you have and find some other mags to try in it. I am willing to bet that the mags are the cause of this problem(especially the Orlite). Try getting some other mags to test.

If all mags you try are doing this then move onto checking other parts of the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top