Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2002 10:25:08 PM EDT
Just got back from a gunshow today...Well I run into this dealer who has stripped Olympic lowers for sale.  They are labled "for use as replacement for Pre-Ban recievers".  So I ask the guy a little more about it.  Let me give you some background...

BACKGROUND:

1.  The lowers are marked with the "SGW" stop sign.

2.  The serial numbers are H0021, H0023, H0025.

3.  The lowers are new with all the reinforcements.

4.  The lowers are forged.

HEAR IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD:

1.  The guy says that they can only be used to replace a damaged (beyond repair) pre-ban lower.

2.  The guy says that you can not manufacture a new pre-ban rifle out of these lowers

I ASK THE GUY:

1.  "Were these lowers manufactured as replacement recievers for damaged pre-bans that were sent in."  ANSWER=Yes....he then went on to say that Olympic mass produced these "replacement" lowers in order to prevent having to produce replacements on a one on one basis.  (I am thinking that this is really weird now)

2.  "Since they were...why cant you slap a pre-ban upper on it?"...ANSWER=It can only replace a damaged pre-ban.

3.  "So that means that you have to have your original pre-ban lower readily available, kinda like replacement mag bodies?"  ANSWER=Yes.

Have I been out to lunch?  Anyone heard of this?  The lowers were $638.00 a piece.  It doesnt make sense to pay a pre-ban price for a lower if you have to keep your damaged lower everywhere it goes.  If in fact this is true (which I dont think it is)...why cant you just use a post-ban lower, and keep the damaged pre-ban as proof?
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think you would just use a postban lower to replace a damaged one, and not spend $600 some dollars.

Sounds to me like he's selling these knowing damn well that people will use them to make pre-ban rifles but is playing CYA by saying their replacement only.  And the buyers will buy their "replacement" with the same understanding.  $638 plus parts is a pretty cheap preban.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to do something I rarely do, I'm going to call this guy an outright fraud.

Unless ATF has changed it's mind and I haven't heard of it yet, and that's a possibility, when a preban receiver is damaged beyond repair it needs to be sent to the ORIGINAL manufacturer who CAN replace it with a new receiver. (If the original manuf. is out of buisiness, you're SOL) BUT the new receiver MUST have the original (preban's) receiver's serial number, unless the manufacturer gets prior ATF approval for a serial number change. The manufacturer then destroys what is left of the original receiver.

I see no reason for Oly to "mass-produce" "pre-ban replacement only" receivers. There is no need for it.

I'll bet if you call Oly Monday morning and ask about these three receivers by serial number they will tell you a story completely different than what this guy is telling you.

I would stay as far away from this guy and these receivers as possible.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
That sounds fishy to me too. Run fast, run far.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My guess he is either talking out of his ass, or getting confused regarding the ATF's determination that the rifle needed to be complete with requisite "evil" features before sept 94 in order to be grandfathered.

Likely, these were never complete rifles and so, according to the ATF, you can't assemble them in a preban configuration.  The "replacement lower" thing seems hogwash - as mentioned before, if your preban lower is damaged beyond repair, it needs to be replaced by the original manufacturer.  Since it really doesn't cost them any more to do this than replace a postban receiver (except maybe some more paperwork and special attention re: restamping the original ser #), you likely wouldn't need to pay the premium for a preban receiver that this guy is obviously charging.

Who knows if he is being purposely deceptful or just stupid, however.  I would pass on the deal, in either case.  Keep in mind though, that the whole "must be a complete rifle" thing is just the ATF's opinion of the law - it has never been tested in court, where it really matters, yet.  However, the price he is selling these for probably isn't a good enough deal to risk that you'll be the first to test it in court.  OTOH, wasn't it Oly who had the fire and all its records destroyed?  So, no one could really prove one way or the other whether this left the factory assembled or stripped.

Rocko
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#5]
...Im going to call Oly on monday and get to the bottom of it.  As I stated earlier...it doesnt make any sense at all, and I have never heard of replacing a lower with a "special" replacement lower like you can with Glock Magazines.

Anyone else???
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That sounds fishy to me too. Run fast, run far.

Much agreed. The only time you can use a replacement is if you send the damaged one back to the ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER (no trying to get Colt to replace your damaged PWA or something). They will then manufacture you a new receiver and mark it with the same serial number and destroy the old receiver.

So far as I've heard that's the only thing you can do. If this guy were telling the truth then why not just use a post ban lower and keep your damaged pre-ban receiver around. Some T-O-O-L is trying to pull a fast one over on the unsuspecting. I'm guessing the guy made these himself and commited copyright infringement by stamping them with the SGW stop sign.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
is it possible to get another company to replace your lower if the makes is out of business? like PWA is no more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
is it possible to get another company to replace your lower if the makes is out of business? like PWA is no more.

Nope. If the original manufacturer is out of buisness then you're SOL. Only, and ONLY, the original manuf. can "re-make" a preban receiver.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If he made the receiver himself and doesnt have a manufacturing FFL (dealer isnt good enough) then he committed "making firearms and selling them without a manufacturer's license"
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, these lowers were definately made by Oly...not home made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top