Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2002 5:33:25 PM EDT
First, I just bought a Savage model 10FP and the dealer is trying to get me to put a used Tasco Custom Shop high power scope on it.  I'm not sure what model it is, but he says its worth over $500 new and he is offering it to me for $300.  He is usually pretty honest...as honest as anyone selling something can actually be anyway.  

I have never seen a Tasco advertised for that amount of money and just wanted to know if Tascos of that quality actually exist.

Second, I'm willing to spend $300 on optics for the new rifle.  If you were going to spend that $300, what would you get?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
it sure wouldnt be a trashco

if it were me, in that range id look into a Baush & lomb or high end bushnell perhapse a loupold veri-x2 (on sale)
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Baush and Lomb 4-12X42AO and a Leupold 4-12X40AO either would be perfect for your rifle.
I had them both on Savages, I sold the guns to satart another project. E-mail if interested.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, the Custom Shop Tascos were retailing at somewhere close to $500 but I don't know anyone who would pay retail for those scopes.

www.samplelist.com/

has the same scope for $179. Look for item #680 towards the bottom of the page.

He is trying to move that scope because it probably has been sitting there quite awhile and Tasco is kaput.

$300 is middle ground. You can get a nice scope in that range like a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40mm at www.skyoptics.com for $272. There are quite a few Weavers in that price range also that are fine scopes. Take a look around at the different optics websites for sales and such and you might find a great deal

Here are a few sites to look over:

www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm

www.natchezss.com/

www.wholesalehunter.com/main/plc/plcoptics.htm

www.swfa.com/

I believe SWFA is a board sponsor who is a bit flexible on pricing. Doesn't hurt to ask politely and mention AR15.com if you place an order to see if they can come down a bit.

With a bit more cash, $395, you could get the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 which in my opinion is a fine fine scope.

I would pass on the Tasco. I know I have said this various time but it is worth repeating, if that scope goes tits up you are screwed.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way I'd pay $500 for a Tasco product is if a couple of Super Sniper scopes came in a 2-for-1 deal.

$300 is well into "good scope" territory.  You can easily get a decent Leupold, Nikon, Burris, or Weaver Grand Slam for that kind of scratch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the advice.  I can always count on you guys!

Keep the suggestions rolling in!!!  I'm interested in the luepolds of course...just got to find the right model in the right price range.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If he's offering you the 8-40x56 Custom it's only a $300 scope from SWFA, and while I have ne and it's OK I wouldn't buy another one.

I have two 10x42 SS scopes, one M one not and I would buy another, they are a good scope and even better at the $300 price.

The most expensive Tasco scope I see on SWFAs page is the WA6x44B Tasco Tactical 6x44 Matte Finish, Nimrod Reticle, 26mm  for 449.95.

We'd really need to know what you are planning to do with your rifle before anyone should pony up a recommendation for a scope.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, most likely some long range target shooting.  I rarely have opportunities to go hunting and I haven't mustered up the courage to take shots at the punks who keep me up all night by hanging out in the parking lot below my apartment...

But I definitely want something versatile just in case I ever decide to go hunting...varmint or big game (ie. punk kids) hehe
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Worth $500

Eye of the beholder.

My eye says - not a chance.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Since Tasco is out of business I would not touch a used Tasco Scope unless it was free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top