Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 4:49:21 PM EDT
 I have a Smith and Wesson 5906 9mm that I just got around to shooting today. It was surprisingly accurate and reliable. I am sure the thing is pretty dirty because I put several rounds through it this afternoon. I bought this pistol used and didn't get a manual with it. Being that most pistols I have dabbled with take down slightly different, I thought I would ask for advice before I try. That way I can't screw something up. I may buy a Safariland paddle back holster and start carrying this one a bit. Any help with field stripping will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
www.smith-wesson.com/misc/pdf/Pistol.pdf

The whole manual is there. Should take care of any questions
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Very simple procedure. Goes like this.
1) Remove the magazine
2) Clear the weapon
3) Cock the hammer(I do this, it makes it  easier to hold the slide open)
4) Open the slide until the shaft of the slide stop is under the notch on the left side of the slide.
5) Holding the slide open with one hand(it can be done, you'll figure it out) push the slide stop out.
6) Slowly let the slide go forward. If you cocked it the hammer will fall. Don't worry it's supposed to.
7) Push the slide completely forward and off the frame.
8) Remove the recoil spring and guide by pushing forward(towards the muzzle) and lifting up.
9) Remove the barrel by pushing forward and lifting up.

To reassemble;
1) Place the barrel back in the slide.
2) Place the recoil spring and guide back in the slide being carful to lock it back in the groove on the under side of the barrel.
3) Place the slide assy back on the frame. don't cock the pistol. As you push the slide back you have to depress the tabs on the frame in front of the hammer and let the slide ride over top of them.
4) Here's the tricky part. With one hand, open the slide about 1/8th of an inch. Put the slide stop in as far as it will go. Open the slide further until the shaft of the slide stop is under the notch on the left side of the frame. Push the slide stop in the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad you enjoyed the 5906.  Don't let the general bad-mouthing of S&W 3rd generation autos fool you... I think they are way underrated.  I have had a few and shot a few more, and never had a serious complaint about any of them.

Now the Sigma, on the other hand...
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget, you can also order a free replacement manual from the SW website.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Step 1: draw from holster and clear

Step 2: Throw it away and buy a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Step 3: Go to the nearest Trauma Center when your Glock blows up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Watch out for that internal rod that holds the recoil spring. I used to have a S&W 4506 (45ACP) that had one of them and reassembly of that rod was a tad tricky.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Step 3: Go to the nearest Trauma Center when your Glock blows up.

Hey, I own an '01 Crown Vic also.  You gotta go some time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Watch out for that internal rod that holds the recoil spring. I used to have a S&W 4506 (45ACP) that had one of them and reassembly of that rod was a tad tricky.

Really?  I don't recall it being that tricky, in spite of the fact that I launched one downrange at an indoor range once. Luckily it was about 10 minutes before closing time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top