Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2002 1:49:23 PM EDT

bigyeti,

remember that Bushy that we both almost filled our pants over..., & my wife told the guy, "...forget it..." & walked away & i haggled because i bought a Colt from him & he lowered the price, then i forked over the cash...., & we walked away yacking our collective jaws over what great buy i had made.... remember ??

i was pretty proud of that baby myself, after you left, we had to go pick up our ammo & passed Mikes table & i says look at this baby i just picked up, he took it, looked at it & wyth a great big smile, "this is a post ban !!!"

we checked the s/n & shure as shyt it IS A POST BAN that someone replaced the upper wyth a PRE-BAN..., so..., needless to say all eyes were suddenly upon me & the consensus was, "go immediately back to that table wyth your proof that it an illegal gun to sell & ask for a return of your money.., that i did & once more, all eyes were upon me when i announced this is an illegal post ban rifle & i would lyke to have my money refunded.., got it...

then Salvador, led me to another SP-1 85%'er, & we bought it ! a LEGAL for, positive PRE-BAN.......!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn!!  That was a close SN and I did suggest checking it out...   Sure glad You got it straightened out...   The guy selling it should be on the carpet...   What was his name??   Let's post it...  The new lube he was selling was also free samples left at his neighbor's table 2 weeks ago at the fairgrounds...   Sorry Bud...
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
yo..., yeti !

yaa i had in mind that "L065001 was the cut off but it is L063001 & up.....!

that one was L064xxx !!

but !! heres the kicker, my wife was waiting for me at Mikes table while i went in search of those "correct" slings & cleaning kits, & Mr.X had taken the rifle back to the guy he got it from & they were going thru a book, i was going to stop & tell them to go to the book sellers & buy a copy of, "The AR-15 Complete Owners Guide" by Walt Kulek & Scott Duff, bottom of page 175......

i won't reveal the mans name because i belive he was as ignorant as was i about the s/n thyngy...

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Then he shouldn'a been sellin' em!!   Mine is L062XXX and it had to be checked out with Bushmaster to assure that it was sold as a complete preban rifle...   At our age, we need to write all these things down... hehehe
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
this is confusing post ban this pre ban that, do you guys really think the cops know all this stuff about ar's? i doubt the care.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
They will not care until they need it to layer  another charge on top of some other "paperwork" crime to fry your ass.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't even own a AR and the laws seem laughable to me no bayonet lug for a rifle made after 94 or whatever who cares what the hell is a knife on your gun going to do.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
That is some seriously bad juju.  Glad you got your money back. It will be at next week's show as some sort of frenkenrifle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
this is confusing post ban this pre ban that, do you guys really think the cops know all this stuff about ar's? i doubt the care.

Greg,
maybe not my friend, but that is not the point & you shud know it !! we want to keep this hobby of ours legal, i damn shure did not want to walk out wyth an illegal gun & be a part of a sting-op, the city of Tucson filed some sort of petition concerning gun background checks & the proverbial "unlicensed dealer" action against "Roadrunner Inc.", so in short my friend, we ALL need to keep on our toes, & thwart sales of illegal (by law !!) guns.....

in fact one dealer was trying to pawn off an Essential Arms as an Eagle Arms, i called him on it & bigyeti backed me..., the guy was about to swallow his tongue......

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
shotar,

i do not belive so, there were quite a few sets of eyes & ears tuned in when i returned it, the guy at first said he didn't want to sell, he wanted to keep it, soooooo.., when i returned it i said kinda loudly, "i guess you are going to have to keep this after all.., IT'S A POST-BAN !!"

i'll bet 20 people focused in on us, as soon as i walked away he beat feet to the table where he got it & there was a huge conference going on..., my wife & i picked up our prepaid merchandise & left...., wyth a really nice SP-1 Colt.......
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Stick to your (legal) guns, gentlemen.

Friends will save yer ass, time and time again...
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You know, you are probably 99.99% correct.  But unfortunately, that .01% puts YOU at complete fault, which has the potential to ruin your life.

With my luck & odds, I would be put in a situation that required me to defend myself with a (INSERT WEAPON) from the worlds collective public enemy # 1 (INSERT PERSON), and have it be so close to being 'legal' that many, many, many people would believe.

But, unfortunately because the firearm wasn't legal, I know have committed a felony in this awesome country.  

Be prepared to say 'Hi' for Bubba for me, when this .01% happens to you.

Good Day!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do you guys really think the cops know all this stuff about AR's?

I saw a "pre-ban" Bushmaster for sale in an LEO's gunshop last summer. It turned out to be a pre-ban upper on a post-ban lower (serial #L124XXX). I informed him of it and was told that I didn't know what I was talking about. As far as I know, that illegally-configured rifle is still for sale (or at least it was a few months after I told him about it).
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Yer right..  I saw a local small town cop trying to do the same thing, but, BATF knows and the last thing we need is more bad publicity...   We're the good guys.  Remember??
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
what in the wide world of AR-15s is going on wyth these Bushmaster post-ban lowers being mated to pre-ban uppers...?

M4Madness, your knowing of one is the fourth one, that i have heard about or know of, this cud be an epidemic.......

Link Posted: 6/2/2002 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
all I have to say is you guys know your guns, pre ban lowers post ban uppers its all confusing at hell to me, remind me to ask you guys to look at anything I want to buy, so I don't get screwed with an illegal gun by some stupid dealer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#16]
1911greg,

no problem pal, we'd all be more than happy to help you keep out of trouble, you just tell us what your next gun purchase is & we'll do all we can to make shure you do not go astray......

have a great day & don't accept any bayo lugs today !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually we would not only be happy to help in the purchase, we'll be glad to go along to the range and help in the testin'  Right, CJ...
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]
oooh definitely ! this can be a real team effort, us wonderful kind hearted Zonies can ban together & perform a service to ALL new shooters & gun owners.

we can take all guns & run them thru rigorous safety & performance tests, don't you thynk 5,000 rounds & a minimum of one year of testing in our controlled testing facillities will be sufficient ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn Jack,

Weren't you looking for your first AR a few weeks ago?

I have had the same problem in the past.  I was not so lucky though.

I ended up tearing the gun apart and using the peices.

Expensive lesson.

I have only one pre-ban left.  If you are still looking, let me know.

[email protected]

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:05:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I almost had the same thing happen to me about 4 months ago at a local gun show up here in portland,oregon.

I saw an olympic arms lower reciever that this guy was selling. He stated to me that it was a pre-ban lower and he wanted X amount of dollors for it. I said to him, well is there anyway that you can prove to me that this is actually a pre-ban lower reciever? He said no, you will just have to take my word for it, besides olympic arms had a fire back a few years ago that destroyed all there records, so if the lower ever came into question it would be the ATF that would need to bear the burdon of proof not you. I said well I dont agree. The next question I asked is can you prove to me that that lower reciever was made into a complete firearm before the 1994 ban? He said no, and repeated the same thing about the fire, and the ATF being the one to need to bear the burdon of proof.

Well I told him unless he could prove to me that it was an actuall pre-ban lower I would not even consider buying it.

So know whenever I go to a gun show I have a list of olympic arms,bushmaster,and colt lower reciever seriel numbers, and the cut off dates and seriel numbers for pre-ban and post-ban lower recievers.

Gatta watch those dealers at gun shows, they will rip you off, and make you a felon if you are not careful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
oooh definitely ! this can be a real team effort, us wonderful kind hearted Zonies can ban together & perform a service to ALL new shooters & gun owners.

we can take all guns & run them thru rigorous safety & performance tests, don't you thynk 5,000 rounds & a minimum of one year of testing in our controlled testing facillities will be sufficient ?

Sounds about right to me CJ...   We could probably depend on Spectre and Biggame to take up some of the slack, if our trigger fingers get strained...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds about right to me CJ...   We could probably depend on Spectre and Biggame to take up some of the slack, if our trigger fingers get strained...

Yes Sir !!!  trigger finger at the ready !!
We could become the "UL" laboratories for preban testing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top