Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 7:19:09 PM EDT
A little help please...

Will be deploying very soon to a well known theater of operations.

What would be the best upgrades I could do to a M4 carbine, mainly for reliability but any other suggestions would be appreciated.  

The weapon in question is outfitted with a M68 (comp M)and an AN/PEQ 2A.  It has a KAC RAS but the PEQ takes up the top rail.  Already have a Sure Fire to put on it.  I was thinking about one of those d-fender inserts, maybe a whole new extractor.

Respond soon please.  Gunshow is tomorrow.

thanks

ATW
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with the upgrades, but I can thank you for defending our country.

May God be with you and your men.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep the gun clean and it should do you right. Sounds like you have some nice gadgets mounted on the gun and those should make it more useful as well. If you have had any problems with the extractor, then by all means change it.

If you think you will be shooting at any longer ranges (and if you have a choice in weapons) break out a standard 20" barrel M-16A2 from your armory. With the M855 ammo, the longer barrel will increase the range in which the bullets will fragment when you score a hit. The M4 isn't as effective out past 100 yards as the standard model because the velocity is so much slower from the 14.5 inch barrel that the bullets don't have the same effect on the human body.

And finally, thank you so much for defending our nation. May God bless you and keep you safe.
You mentioned that you were deploying soon and this makes me think you are in the 82nd? I have a buddy who is in the 82nd. He re-enlisted after the attacks on 9/11. Anyway, good luck over there. We all look forward to seeing you become a regular around here once you get back!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and BTW, if you have to engage a target in combat, don't fire once and look. Keep firing until the bastard goes down and then fire insurance rounds to make him bounce. Whether you have a 5.56, 7.62, 50 BMG or a .22 rifle, this type of firing will give you the desired results. I don't mean to sound inhuman but want to give you any advice I can that might be beneficial to you in combat. I guess you have already learned this anyway though, so I will shut up now!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the best upgrades for an M4 is to throw out the Knight Rail system and get a S.I.R Rail system from A.R.M.S.

The Knight system sucks the heat out of the receiver.  This makes the rail system hot. Furthermore, the barrel doesn't cool properly.

I tried out a S.I.R. which stands for something like Special Integrated Rail.

The rail system hooks on to a flat top.  It has its own unique handgard with pictainny rails at 3, 6, 9, and 12 O'clock.

The system does not suck heat from the reciever.  It's the best rail system I've ever seen. Perfect for combat.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If I understand correctly, you are going into a desert region.  From what I've learned on this board keeping your weapon clean and lubed according to your "-10" is paramount!  The only thing I would suggest is a set those rubber pieces that go around the spring of your extractor.  It aids the extractor in keeping a tight grip on the shell during extraction.

I remember going over the Saudi/Iraq border and into the Euphrates Valley (24thID HHB 1/41 FA).  I was driving a HMMWV and kept my M16A2 in my lap the whole way.  Half way through the trip I shotguned it to take a look inside and it was filthy! Even with the ejection port cover closed!  I took the mag out and pulled the charging handle and I could hear the grit and sand grinding between the bolt carrier and the receiver. I cleaned it out quickly with a rag, but if I had overly lubed my weapon, I would have had a harder time doing a quick dust down.  

Keep your head down over there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top