Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 12:31:34 PM EDT
I thought that I would try something different so I ordered 500 rounds from Ammoman.

Like it?  Is it clean, stinky, or does it lacquer-up the innards of the pistol?
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I thought that I would try something different so I ordered 500 rounds from Ammoman.

Like it?  Is it clean, stinky, or does it lacquer-up the innards of the pistol?

My Glock 19 has "wolf"ed down over 1000 rounds without a hiccup.  No problem with lacquer.  Doesn't seem any dirtier than cheap domestic ammo.  Not noticably smellier, either.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
i have used wolf 9, 45, 7.62 x 39 and 223.  they all work fine.  i dont think that i have ever had one fail.  i usually clean my guns after i shoot.  for a hand gun i wouldnt think that there would be much of a laquesr build up, but it you use it in a are, buy 1 or 2 boxes to see if your ar will shoot it.  it is great plinking ammo.  a lot cheaper than walmart stuff.

lojack
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used it several times in handguns, 9mm, .45 acp and .40 S&W (I think).  Never had a bit of trouble.  Has always been reliable, and definitely cleaner than many many cheap reloads.

I've never used it in rifle calibers because of the bad experience of others with laquer build up etc.  Maybe I'll give it a whirl someday and see for myself.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]

I've fired many thousands of rounds of Wolf 9mm in my 9mm upper. No problems. Actually pretty accurate, but it is dirty.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a case, shot about half of it so far.  I love it:

cheap
accurate
powerful
reliable

It costs about the same as my reloads, and now no chassing brass.  What more could you ask?  It's also nice to know that the money's going to a country that desparately needs it to prevent it from reverting back to a very anti-USA state.  

It's all I'll ever shoot from now on.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My Hi-Power, Glock 17, and Star 1911 all love it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
not to get off the subject but, has anybody tried the ammo from Cabela's in 223 they say it's remington and remanufactured $169 for 1000 round.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Minor problems in P-08's, and P-38's, but nothing critical..(Insufficent bullet mass, I believe.115 grain ammo in weapons intended for 124 grain..)

Satisfactory in CZ-75, Astra 600, MAB P-15, and GP-35 Browning..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Since you asked . .

I HATE WOLF AMMO!  It stinks, it's dirty, isn't reliable nor accurate.  PMP (Denel) is a much better substitute.  Using Wolf, I had more than a couple of failure to fire in less than 100 rounds in my P226.  I sold the rest of the case at a fire sale price just to be rid of it.  There's no reason to accelerate wear and tear on a fine firearm at the expense of a few bucks.  There are numerous quality substiutes available, so I see no reason to fire Wolf ammo in any of my weapons.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Does the Wolf Nazi like Wolf 9mm ammo?  Does a Bear crap in the woods?  

I use it and love it.  Absolutely no problems with it and I have never really noticed the smell, but I usually am not bothered by things like that.  I've never seen any lacquer buildup in any of my weapons and I shoot it in just about every caliber.  I also live in Florida where it's extremely hot, and the lacquer is not a problem.

I do not have any affiliation with Wolf ammo, I just love their great cheap product!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to conduct "research" on Wolf ammo this afternoon at the range.

The test subject will be a CZ75BD and Wolf 115gr fed through three different types of magazines.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Just say "No" to Wolf.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I use it in all my 9mm handguns and my Oly 9mm upper.  No problems, works great.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#14]
8/10 people say Wolf is good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I buy reloads from a local mfg. Same price as Wolf and you get non-laquered brass and what I believe to be cleaner powder.

If i'm gonna buy wolf ammo, I only but it for my handguns. Handguns are easier to clean and you cant shoot out a .45 barrel.
I currently have about 400rnds of Wolf sitting around for my .45. Its just backup ammo.

I noticed that the Wolf .45 ammo throws quite a bit of burn out the barrel. On a indoor range some rounds look like your firing tracers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#16]
For me the 9mm shoots fine, the 45 in my Glock 36 just won't run.Each gun is an individual and must be tried-out individually.There is NO
blanket "best".If the stuff works for you
thats all that really matters.There seems to
be a lot of "bashing" here by people with
really very litte actual experience using a
variety of brands in sufficient quantities to make informed decisions-Beware.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never shot Wolf, but was told in the gunshop that the steel cases will wear the receiver parts quicker.  Has anybody seen additional wear from Wolf?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have never shot Wolf, but was told in the gunshop that the steel cases will wear the receiver parts quicker.  Has anybody seen additional wear from Wolf?

No, especially not in the receiver. Most steel cased ammo (including Wolf) is laquered coated, the receiver never touches the steel.

www.ecis.com/~mraudio/AR15_Ammo_FAQ.htm#wolfok

www.ecis.com/~mraudio/AR15_Ammo_FAQ.htm#steel
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have run at least 2 cases of Wolf 9mm through my S&W 5906 with no problems.

On the other hand, I bought a case of Silver Bear 9mm (I couldn't get Wolf after 9/11) and busted 2 extractors within 100 rds of each other. hoot
Now I just buy 9mm by the case at Wal-Mart, it's cheaper than wolf plus shipping. (and it's reloadable)

I have shot about a half a case of Silver Bear 7.62x39 though my SAR1 to no ill effect.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
The question was about Wolf 9mm, a lot of people seem to be answering Wolf .223, which I will grant maybe isn't so great.  9mm is a whole other animal and my Berretta and CZ75 have no problems.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Sitedev, could you please give more details on the SilverBear?  I have 3 boxes of the 145gr HP nickle plated stuff that I'm trying out, is that what you used?  

Also, what are you buying at Wal-Mart?  All the stuff I see goes for ~$8-10 a box, and the Wolf goes for closer to $5.  Are you getting some kind of special deal?  I'll switch to brass too if I can get it for the same price!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I've used it in a CZ75 and a SIG P228.  Worked fine for me.  Had a little feed problem with aftermarket mags, but I don't think you can blame that on the ammo.  I do think it's dirtier than a lot of other ammo I've used.  But, if you're diligent about cleaning your gun every time you take it out for a spin, you should be fine.  It's great plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Our department uses only wolf for training ammo including colt subguns.  We have had no ill effects.  In my personal weapons I use only wolf for practice and plinking except for the 22s, the wolf is too expensive compared to Dicks specials on Remington.  I have as yet had no ill effects in anything.  I did have two duds in 1000 rounds of 7.62 though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's the results of my Wolf 9mm ammo tests today ->

After 200 rounds through a CZ75BD:

Pros
1.) No malfunctions of any kind.  (Three different kinds of mags - factory 10 round, factory 15 round, factory "slotted" 15 round.)
2.) Not as dirty as I expected.  Slightly smokier than my Hodgden TiteGroup reloads.
3.) Plenty accurate, although seems to shoot a tad higher than my reloads.  I just compensated with the sight placement.
4.) The lacquer coating is very thin - almost invisible.  Almost no residue, but still some.
5.) Don't have to pick up the spent brass.

Cons
1.) Gun and shooting hand smell like burnt resistors.  Considerable soot on hands.
2.) Still not as cheap as reloading.
3.) Maybe my imagination, but barrel and slide seem to get hotter, quicker.  Higher flame temperature?

Here's a pic of the test subjects:

Pic of the gun field stripped before cleaning.  Not unusually dirty:

Goofy pic of the bore before cleaning:

The next step will be to check the Wolf stuff in the Sig 226 and Beretta 92FS Inox.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#25]
It works fine for me in: P-38, TZ-99, S&W, Tec-9, MP-40

It has not worked for me in: P-08, MP-38, Ruger P-89.  It also broke the extractor on the Ruger, I didn't like the gun anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Obershutze916- What vintage is your P-38?

Mine is a four digit BYF-42, and appeared unfired.. Had considerable trouble with 115 grain ammo cycling it..It is warming up to some of the hotter 115 grain fodder, but still has at least one failure per magazine to go into full battery with standard/median velocity ammo..No problems with 124 grain ammo..

Did you change anything?
What lube are you using?

Thanks.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#27]
That crap is nasty!
My Beretta 8045 Cougar has only jammed once in the aprox. 4000 rounds it has eaten. This was with wolf ammo.
    Steel case ammo to me seems like it would not expand enough to fill the bore. Therefore it's flawed by design in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got about 1500 rounds of it through my ruger 9mm. The only jams i've had in all of that occurred the one time i tried to use a "usa" brand magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top