Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 8:11:33 AM EDT
A friend of mine broke the gas key on his bolt carrier.  Can the gas key be easily and safely replaced, or should he just get a new bolt carrier?

If it can be replaced, how is this done?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure he broke the gas key or do you mean one or both of the attachment screws sheared? I can't remember ever seeing an actual broken gas key. Either way he should be able to "fix" the carrier by removing the sheared off screws and reinstalling the key.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The screws are still there.  The gas key (or "bolt carrier key") actually broke in half.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
This is WAY creepy.  I just had this happen to me this weekend.  The front bolt snapped on one of my M16 carriers.

I'm ordering a whole new carrier and will rebuild the dead one as time permits.

With full auto you can't have too many spares.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top