Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 9:28:58 PM EDT
Does anyone have an idea as to how to reduce the buzzing sound made by the AR's bolt return spring?

Though I don't have this "problem" with my AR carbine, I'm asked about it alot.

The only thing I've seen that works is a thick application of grease on the spring, but I know that that will gum up the rifle after a short while.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
People are going to tell you to use dry silicon, grease, whatever...It's part of the rifle.  If you don't hear it, then something went wrong (Empty Mag, malfunction...)
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Greese/oil/lube=DIRT!!!!

Get used to it

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The sweet sound of the spring!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What I should have said was that the buzzing sound I get from my carbine isn't very loud or pronounced.  I just spray it lightly with REMoil.

Some AR's I've shot have very loud and annoying buzzing sound which lasts for a little over a seconds.

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What I should have said was that the buzzing sound I get from my carbine isn't very loud or pronounced.  I just spray it lightly with REMoil.

Some AR's I've shot have very loud and annoying buzzing sound which lasts for a little over a seconds.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I run an Olympic Arms manufactured gas shock which replaces the spring and buffer assy.  It's the greatest product since time began but they do a pretty bad job of marketing it.

It will smooth the action and remove all sproing sound.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]
that aint noise.. It's Music!  
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
blackmanta,
as osprey21 said, "that ain't noise, thats music !!"

& for me there is no finer tune ever played than listening to the recoil spring in concert wyth "God Bless America".........!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
David Tubb buffer springs also work.

I like the "sprong" noise in my AR15.

I have never heard my AR10 sprong, though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
When I first finished my first AR, I thought I had did something wrong and took the thing apart and reassembled until I found out it was normal.  Now I don't even notice it.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
it's ok as long as the bad guy can't hear it.

he
He did say the weaker the spring the more noise it makes. He suggested streatching it... I don't think thats a good idea, if it's weak replace it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the sound of my spring.
I'm so used to the noise it makes, that at this
point is usually means I have a bad cheek weld
if it sounds wrong!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently applied white lithium grease to the full length of the spring. It resulted in an immediate improvement. After 400 rounds it still remains quiet. There was a slight amount that squeezed out around the bolt carrier after 100 rounds of cycling but I just wiped away the excess. I'm happy with the resulting "thud" sound that now replaces the "sproing". I'll continue to monitor the function and sound...if I change my mind, I'll report back.

JJ
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Does anyone have an idea as to how to reduce the buzzing sound made by the AR's bolt return spring?

Though I don't have this "problem" with my AR carbine, I'm asked about it alot.

The only thing I've seen that works is a thick application of grease on the spring, but I know that that will gum up the rifle after a short while.

Try rotating the spring against the buffer.  Sometimes you're getting a buzz because the spring is vibrating against a surface.  If you give it a good 1/4 - 1/2 turn that can occasionally fix the problem.

Probably not a really good idea to coat the spring with goo of any kind- though some people will swear by this.  Your mileage may vary.

The spring noise- in my view- is important.  It tells you that your rifle is functioning properly.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I used a generous handful of Valvoline bearing grease, and after each mag I'd break the gun open and wipe off the excess that squeezed through. After 3 mags, nothing appeared. I just get a "thunk" now, and I'm kinda enjoying it. I got a little tired of explaining the "sproing" to the folks that would shoot the gun, too. The only thing I worry about is whether the grease is detrimental to the innards, i.e. the buffer and the place that holds it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]

SPROOOOOWIIIIIIIIIIIING

Is that the noise? LMAO

M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I put that sound right up there with the distinct "CHING" sound made by an M-1 as it ejects an empty clip. It's one of those few things in this world that came out right the first time. Don't mess with it, embrace it, you'll be a better man for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top