Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield Armory!!!!  Have carried a Springfield Armory TRP and A SA Champion, on duty for L.E., best pistols I have ever owned. 1911 Mil Spec is a good deal- 500.00- 600.00. Good entry level 1911.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, Yankee1911!  Thanks for trying to exercise the Glock demon out of me!  I do have an adversion to polymer pistols, since I've shot steel for such a long time and haven't found an equal in polymber land, but the Model 23 in .40 S&W looked like it might not be too frightful.  I am curious about the Model 23, but my heart is really on a Kimber Eclipse Classic, a Wilso KZ-45 TCP or a Sig P220, so don't fret.  I still love .45s, first and foremost!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey, Yankee1911!  Thanks for trying to exercise the Glock demon out of me!  I do have an adversion to polymer pistols, since I've shot steel for such a long time and haven't found an equal in polymber land, but the Model 23 in .40 S&W looked like it might not be too frightful.  I am curious about the Model 23, but my heart is really on a Kimber Eclipse Classic, a Wilso KZ-45 TCP or a Sig P220, so don't fret.  I still love .45s, first and foremost!

You're welcome!  

I really don't have a problem with Glocks.  I do think that they are ugly as hell, but they are very reliable.  I just like watching Glock owners rabidly defend their pistols.

Good luck with whatever pistol you choose.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I never thought I'd have to defend a Glock on this forum (again, don't own any and dislike their looks)...but I have to say they are an excellently reliable out-of-the-factory-box tool!

Personally, I like the looks of the glocks, though I prefer the looks of the mid-sized and compacts to the ackward looking full-sized models.  But in the end, if it's going to save my life I give exactly two craps about how it looks.  It's a tool, not a fashion accessory.  But the 1911a1, even after all these years, still has a great look.  My wife has been lusting after a Kimber for a while, but I'm not thrilled about their Series 2 pistols.  However, I know someone who had a mechanical failure with a Kimber that caused an accidental discharge and he would not use the gun again, even after it came back from the factory for repar.  Is this a common problem that necessitated this new firing pin safety or is it a feel good measure?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a Springfield Custom Loaded Pistol, and I'm very happy with it and it's accuracy is good, or as good as I can shoot a pistol.

As far as .45's go though, I really can't comment.  As I own a Ruger PC97, and the Springfield, and have had NO experience with any others.

I've been researching buying another one, and I deal with Rocky Mountain Arms.  I had emailed Bob about the Rock Island .45 for $350, to ask him what he thinks of them.

He had emailed me back and said he thought the best .45 for the price was a Charles Daly.

Has any one here had any real experience with one, and what did you think of it?

www.charlesdaly.com/HTML/products/firearms/pistols/pistols.asp

Everyone I know that owns a SIG just love them, so I was kinda leanin' towards one.

Great post folks, really informative.  I can not thank all of you enough, because threads like this really help when you're trying to decide what to buy when considering a new firearm purchase.

starsil9

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I went and put a Kimber on Layaway. I liked the trigger better than the Springfield.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The LAPD SWAT team has gone to the Kimber Custom II as their sidearm.  Tacoma PD carries Kimber as their issued sidearm.

Not trying to start another war and I'm definitely NOT saying your not correct, but seeing a police officer carrying a 1911 style as an issue sidearm would be a first for me. Much less the rant libs would come off with seeing an officer carrying in condition one. I too love my Springfield, carried mine as a duty weapon, and I caught a lot of shot for it. Is this the issue sidearm or a choice they have?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Best non-1911 45acp is a Glock 21, best 1911-style 45acp is a Springfield SS loaded although the rear sight on mine flew off after 50 rounds. Other than that, everything is perfect.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Best non-1911 45acp is a Glock 21, best 1911-style 45acp is a Springfield SS loaded although the rear sight on mine flew off after 50 rounds. Other than that, everything is perfect.

No, the rear sight popping off on the Springfield is a "feature".  It works in conjunction with the ILS system.  It prevents an attacker from using your pistol accurately against you, should he get the weapon away from you in a confrontation.  But, the rear sight is supposed to detach after every 5th round, not 50th.  Sounds like yours needs to go back to Springfield for repair to the BSDSS (Ballistic Sight Deactivation Safety System).

Seriously, how can you endorse the Springfield SS Loaded as the "best 1911-style 45acp" after that?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a SA loaded light weight which i like alot. My Para P-14 ss w/hi-caps is just awesome.
I had a Kimber pro Carry and it was a lemon, it went back twice for repairs.Ive shot the Classic,eclipse etc real quality. I needed a replacement for my G26 for CCW. I wanted more power, was just about to buy another Glock. My buddy owns a gunshop and showed me the new Para C6.45LDA 3in bbl excellent DA trigger. he took in my Kimber strait up, havent looked back.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top