Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2002 4:32:27 PM EDT
I want to switch out the uppers on a couple of my ARs but just the uppers, not the barrels, Ive got the upper seperated from the lower, with the handguards off, I dont know what to do now, Im sure I need a special tool which I dont have... thanks alot
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks, damn thats alot of work, I have a preban and a postban, bushmasters, Im going to sell the post ban, but before I do I want to put the A3 upper with the detach carry handle on the preban, and put the old A2 upper on the postban. but maybe I wont bother, I cant switch out the complete uppers because the preban has a threaded muzzle and flash hider, and the postban has a fixed muzzle break. How much would a gunsmith charge to do the swap??? Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
a GOOD gunsmith will charge you at least $150 if not more !!

as you say..., that is a lot of work !!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That is exactly what I was doing before I got on line.

It is not that bad of a project.

You mainly need a barrel wrench.  Order one up or borrow one from a local AR friend.

Is there anyone in your area who plays with these things.

It took me about 20 minutes.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I swapped out barrels before with the help of a friend who had the receiver vice.

I downloaded the manual. (I don't know the link off hand.

It is pretty simple.

Go for it! Learn how the rifle works.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
NO PROBLEM..........!!

it's an easy job to swap barrels fellas..., IF ya got the tools this man said he has no tools, so the Gunsmith route is best for him.......BUT !! if he does plan on assembling an AR in the future, then by all means invest in the tools, i got all mine for less than $100, & do not regret it......

Mahabali,
if you do swap barrels yourself, let me know, i just done a couple the other day.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess Ill have to invest in a barrel wrench...

Do you think I should put the A3 on the preban? or should I just leave the original A2 upper on it? Is there any loss of value with a preban without original parts?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess Ill have to invest in a barrel wrench...

Do you think I should put the A3 on the preban? or should I just leave the original A2 upper on it? Is there any loss of value with a preban without original parts?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Check this link, before you settle on the barrel block...

Ted...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=111603
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
changing out Barrels realy isn't very hard. If you're only moderately mechanicly inclined you'll have no problem.
You will need some tools though.
Bushmaster
recommended are:

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
A3 on the pre-ban

I like that idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top