Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 12:05:38 AM EDT
Theres a Gunshow here in Charlotte coming up the 2nd week of june, and im planning on buying an AR15 there. Are prices generelly better at gunshows? Or would I be better off just going to a gunshop? Whats a good AR15 to buy? Ive seen some on gunsamerica.com that caught my eye because of there low price. "Rock River" Ive seen those going for 600 or so, that seems like a great price but I really want to buy a quality rifle. Any help would be apperciated.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest reading all you can here. Then, go to some gun shops. Then go to the gun show. Then, come back here, and go to the 2002 LEGP page and order a 2002 LEGP rifle :) You only have until the end of June before they quit taking orders for them.

Trust me, no matter which you decide to go with for your FIRST one, it won't be your ONLY one. Why not get a limited edition 20" stainless barrel rifle that has some collector value?

Whichever route you take, take your time and do your research. Sometimes there are deals at gun shows, sometimes they seem high priced. This page has many people with much knowledge.

Good luck :)

Edited to add:
Oops, you didn't actually say it was your first one, but since you are asking which to get, I'm guessing maybe it is? Anyway, you will probably get many opinions on what to get, or what NOT to get.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#2]
i personally do NOT lyke paperwork, i go to gun shows to buy guns from private citizens, as they are more lykely to deal wyth you & negotiate a decent price......

also look for a pre-ban Colt, Bushmaster, Eagle, DPMS, Armalite & Essential Arms, IF you only ever get one AR-15 that one pre-ban is one you can modify in any configuration you wish, admittedly they are at a price premium simply because you have the freedom to change the rifle to any configuration........

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Around here, the dealers are cheaper than the gunshows.
If you drive an hour, up to Knoxville, the dealers may be more expensive than the show.

You need to try several different dealers, then check the show prices.
Be educated.

Also, consider what you want to use the gun for.
If for long range accuracy, you may want a 20" non-chrome lined heavy barrel.

For plinking, and home defense, maybe a 16" M4 profile, chrome lined, mil-spec, so you can shoot any ammo.

Bushmaster makes quality guns, and sells way more than the competition.
Prices are around $800 around here before tax and background check.

Colt, Oly, and Armalite also make a good
product.

The Maryland AR15 Shooters site has a lot of good info:
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite

Enjoy the hunt!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll second that LEGP purchase. One fine AR for a good price. Like other's have said it won't be the only one you'll end up with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I know it's probably eating you up to get your 1st AR(we've all been there)but just spend a couple of weeks here 1st and you'll get an idea of what manufactore,prices etc.I personally prefer Armalite for their warrenty,fit&finish,customer service--second to none.You won't go wrong with Bushmaster or Rock River Arms either.

At least in Jax,Fl the gunshows are overpriced.But that may be because I know what the cheapest going rates are from this website.And I've developed a good relationship with a FFL that will get me anything for $50 over cost.

Welcome aboard and in the couple of weeks before the show you can take a crash course in AR's here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Go buy a new one. As long as it isn't made by Hesse it should be a decent rifle. Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, Rock River Arms and Olympic Arms are all pretty decent rifles. Pre-bans are nice but unless you can get one in the $1000-$1200 price range, I just don't think they are worth it. Why pay $500 extra just for a flash hider and maybe a bayonet lug?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
get a bushmaster. i got mine for $800.00 New.  plus hard case, sling, 10rd mag, and 2 free 30 rd thermold mags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
For a first time AR15, buy Bushmaster. Don't go cheap and buy anything that doesn't have chrome lined chamber and barrel. Get a 20", or 16" Bushmaster and you'll be happy.

As far as the gunshow prices, most times the prices are ridiculous. But sometimes you'll find good dealers.

For a Bushmaster, expect to pay between $750-$850 depending. But don't pay more than that. I've seen them for as high as $1000, but believe me it will be worth it to have a shop order you one.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
hawkins,
one other thyng, if gun ads are allowed in your local news paper, keep an eye on private citizen sellers...,  gun GOLD mines are somtymes uncovered in the ads, always ask, "do you have any other guns for sale ? or know of any one who does ?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top