Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 3:29:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A full stocked Mosin-Nagant made in the Tula plant?
That's a W.A.G.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have said Mosin Nagant also, except that he specified a detachable mag. Striker, are you sure the mag is detachable, or does it just stick down below the stock?  Given the hexagonal part, if it's a Mosin, it's an early one,  except that the Finnish Mosins were all made up using WW1 era Russian recievers.  That might explain the late barrel date.  Just my wild guess.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
A pic would solve the question real quick.  The symbol you describe sounds alot like Tula armory.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like a Mosin-Nagant 91-30 with a Tikka barrel on an older polygonal receiver.   It is a Russian rifle that was captured by the Finns and rebuilt in the Finnish Tikkakoski arsenal.  There should be an SA in a round-cornered rectangle stamped on the barrel as  well.

The "T in a Triangle in a Circle" is the Finnish Tikka (Tikkakoski) Arsenal ID mark. The Triangle is inverted, meaning that the base is at the top and the point is at the bottom. Compare that to the Russian Tula Arsenal ID, which is an Arrow in a Star. The Russian Izhevsk Arsenal ID is an Arrow in a Triangle.

As far as "removable" magazine, I infer from the post that he means the M-N mag floorplate drops out like that of the SKS.  Everything else in the post points to Mosin-Nagant 91-30, long stock and hooded front sight and all.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I am going to bet on a SVT-40 or 38.

Due to the shape of the cocking handle they are often thought to be bolt actions when they are really semi auto.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Stormbringer:

You might be correct about the SVT, but the Tikka stamping still has me thinking M-N.  A Tula SVT would have an Arrow in a Five-point Star.

We need a pic, like the earlier post said.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Striker...

Just have him send me the rifle...

I am certain that I can solve this mystery!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking early 91/30 that the Finns got their hands on as well.  As stated earlier, the hex reciever makes it an early model.

The SVT would be a good guess, but that is semi-auto weapon, altough another very good one that I would like to have.

Not adding much really, just adding.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
SVT-40 wood doesn't go all the way to the end of the barrel as there is gas shield ,gas adjustment,and flash supresor out front.

SVT-40 bolt pull lever has a hole in it ,so you can put something solid in it to retract the bolt in cause you don't have the gas regulator valve set right(shell hung in chamber so tight you have to palm slam it to remove stuck shell).

You set the gas valve right and this rifle is a real hoot to shoot,with little recoil(as compared to the 44 carbine or the big sized cammel gun).

Bob  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top