Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2002 7:30:47 PM EDT
If you could only have one shotgun in your safe, what would it be?  What gauge and what would you feed it?

I have rifles, handguns, and ammo.  I have picked the board's brains for a .22 rec.  Now I need to hear the collective wisdom for an affordable, all-around SHTF primary hunting secondary home defense shotgun.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No choice but a 12 gauge.

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500a (Defender)

Try each to see which fits you best. The Mossberg seemed to fit me better than the Remington.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess that the 870 will be the overwhelming recommendation.  For a good reason, I think.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No choice but a 12 gauge.

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500a (Defender)

Try each to see which fits you best. The Mossberg seemed to fit me better than the Remington.

I got to agree with Paul, although I have the Remington 870. Either is a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Elmer Fudd..., the master shotgunner, of my childhood cartoon memories......., asking for advice on which shotgun to buy..., my name really is Buggs Bunny & i recomend you stick wyth cork pop guns

there is no such thyng as, "only one" shotgun, i have a sawed off s/s double 12G., full of brass 00 Buck beside my bed, in my safe is a custom fitted/tuned Win. 101 12 G. O/U & in my shop a 1944 10 G. flare pistol loaded wyth a Magnesium "fireball"..........., but those are just my "shotguns"

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I was looking at a 18" parkerized 870 with fact mag extension (7 shot) & synthetic stock.  $299.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing but a 12 gauge remington 870.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have mossberg 590A1 with bayonet lug.  Its sitting right next to my bed.  Its reliable and built quite well.  Only problem I encountered was stiff safety switch which I was able to cure by simply adding some lube and manually breaking in the safety switch by switching on and off.  12 gauge is recommended if recoil was not an issue.  Otherwise get a 20 gauge.  I have no exposure to other manufacturer's shotgun so I'm not going to comment on it.  Benelli, and Remington both make fine shotguns.  Depends on whether you want pump or semi auto.  Pump might be more reliable in a sense that its built more simpler but semi auto will save you time and effort for 2nd shot.   I've heard some good stuff on here about vangcomp equipped shotguns.  You might want to check them out.  www.vangcomp.com/
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with a Remington 870 also with a barrel length of 20" or less for the defense situation. If you want to use it as a hunter also, buy an extra barrel for it....something say from 26-30". And get a 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Rem 870. 20" smoothbore with rifle sights.
8 rnd mag extension
SpeedFeed pistol grip stock set
heat shield
Sidesaddle
Tac-light

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#11]

This is it nakid

This is my vote. The Winchester 1200/1300 Defender pistol grip.

I put a forend grip, barrel shroud, 10-Shot Extension. Looks just like this now but no Sidesaddle.
Its a mean bitch and you do need to alternate which hand receives the brunt of the recoil.

Ain't it purrdy ?

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#12]
If you can only have one, my recommendation  would be the Benelli M3.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I've personally been looking at the new winchester...The Super X2™ Practical MK II

here's a link to a review (located at bottom of page)...

The review may be a little biased since it is on the winchester site.

Any thoughts?

frisco
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I love the Mossberg 590A1.  I just picked one up last month for $300.  Nice shotgun and it comes with a Speedfeed stock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I like my 12ga. benelli nova with a 3 shot extension... i've probably shot 2500 shotshells through it from 2 3/4" 8 shot for skeets to 3 1/2" 000 buckshot  its jammed once or twice but thats it... 407 bucks plus tax and it always performs when i need it to...  

7 skeets hand thrown by a buddy i hit all 7 with 8 shells... not bad for a amatuer
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
personally, i like the mossbergs over any of the others because it doesn't have that annoying "thingy" you have to push outta the way when loading the shells.  and the price makes it a little sweeter (depending on model, accessories, etc.).

otherwise, any of the other suggestions would be fine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I sent my Remington Police 870 over to www.vangcomp.com and could not say enough on the workmanship and finsh of my worked over shotgun.  I say you could'nt go wrong with either the remmy or the mossy. Also i would keep the barrel to a 18"-20" min. and get the mag extension.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the recommendations - went with a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 28" from Wally World today.  This is really a SHTF weapon to keep in the safe for general purpose use.  Bought the choke kit to go with it and some cleaning supplies.  I had thought about buying a separate 18" barrel to give it a stronger personal defense capability, but the barrels cost so much it would make sense to just buy another shotgun someday.  I still have 2 questions though:

1.  Any way to rig a sling for it?  No swivel studs or anything that looks like a sling attachment.  None of the pumps seemed to have any.

2. What would be the best general purpose load to keep on hand in case the S does HTF?  What one load for the primary purpose of hunting and secondarily for personal defense.  The only hunting I have done is picking off combo meals at the drive through (but I am an Army vet and know many direct fire weapons up through 120mm smoothbore).
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Winchester 1300 all the way! I used to have a Benelli M3, and I like my Defender more for self defense. Not quite in the same price range, I know, but here's why. First the all important dollar. I got mine on sale at Big 5
for 259 bones. I knew I did not want to spend more than $300. Second, it has a good "feel" to it, much more than the Mossberg. I wanted a Remington originally due to the fact I am a former Police Officer and was trained on the 870. But I looked at all the stores in my AO  
and could not find a "defense" 870 anywhere.
And what is going on with this "safety" lock?
Is Remingon owned by Clinton&Wesson now? Anyway, the Remingtons were nowhere near what we carried in our patrol cars. So I researched
the 1300 design and found nothing but positive
information. And the first day I bought it I confirmed the bore was clear afer taking it out of the box and proceeded to blast over 100 rounds of various 12 ga. ammo through it. I drove away from that experience feeling I made
a good decision. And i'll go shoot it again tommorow....
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for the recommendations - went with a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 28" from Wally World today.  This is really a SHTF weapon to keep in the safe for general purpose use.  Bought the choke kit to go with it and some cleaning supplies.  I had thought about buying a separate 18" barrel to give it a stronger personal defense capability, but the barrels cost so much it would make sense to just buy another shotgun someday.  I still have 2 questions though:

1.  Any way to rig a sling for it?  No swivel studs or anything that looks like a sling attachment.  None of the pumps seemed to have any.

2. What would be the best general purpose load to keep on hand in case the S does HTF?  What one load for the primary purpose of hunting and secondarily for personal defense.  The only hunting I have done is picking off combo meals at the drive through (but I am an Army vet and know many direct fire weapons up through 120mm smoothbore).

Yes you can rig a sling. You replace the cap on the mag tube with one that has a swivel. Check Brownells or ask your local gunsmith. You also drill another swivel in the butt stock, it screws in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks for the recommendations - went with a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 28" from Wally World today.  .......

2. What would be the best general purpose load to keep on hand in case the S does HTF?  What one load for the primary purpose of hunting and secondarily for personal defense.

Your original post said primary was hunting so you picked a good barrel length for that. I see people at the range with their 18" barrel shotguns trying to shoot skeet. Most of them can't his sh*t with them unless its not moving.

There is no one universal hunting load. You need to match the size of the pellets to the size of the birds you are hunting. Otherwise you can end up either shreading them (nothing left to eat) or crippling them which is not humane. Maybe #6 if I had to use one, perhaps other hunter can chime in on a 'universal' load.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#22]
You might want to check out the Winchester 1300 Camp Defender.  It is similar to the Defender but with a 22"(24"?) barrel.  I have an 18" defender and love it.  The action is the slickest out there and in has never given my one problem through several cases of ammo.

Be warned though, shotguns are addictive.  When we shoot now, the shotgun gives us the biggest giggles.  I bought a russian SxS just for fun and it has been awesome.  Can't wait to get a "real" shotgun.  Keep looking at that Beretta O/U.  I gotta make more money.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Funny that most people automatically assume that Fudd is in "Tactical Mode" too.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top