Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2002 6:40:01 PM EDT
The IWANNA Classified Ads in Asheville,North Carolina recently banned all ads that sell assault weapons as defined by the the 1994 AWB. They said they were "just following the ATF". I called them up and they told me I could not place an ad with any gun listed on the 1994 AWB prohibited assault weapons list. THIS INCLUDES GRANDFATHERED PRE-BAN AWs!!!! The woman sounded like she couldn't tell a M1-A from a CAR-15 so I didn't press the issue.

GGGood
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
-continued-

Here is a good ad: .223 Colt Sporter carbine

Here is a bad ad: Colt AR-15 16" pre-ban

You can get around the ban. Just say Russian 7.62 30 round rifle instead of Kalashnikov AK-47.

It still stinks and I'm boycotting the IWANNA Classifieds.   CRC
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It is purely up to them on what they wish to allow in their classified adds. There is no ATF rules covering the listing of such weapons for sale. The ATF can violate the 2nd but not the 1st amendment(for now).

If you could get enough people to complain they may change their position.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
-continued-

Here is a good ad: .223 Colt Sporter carbine

Here is a bad ad: Colt AR-15 16" pre-ban

You can get around the ban. Just say Russian 7.62 30 round rifle instead of Kalashnikov AK-47.

It still stinks and I'm boycotting the IWANNA Classifieds.   CRC

Yup. Rocky mtn news and Denver post have been doing the same thing for years.  It's kinda funny reading them for the creativeness that people put in the add to let us know what they are selling while still getting by the censors.

Everybody loves to CYA...
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What do expect Asheville is full of those northern carpetbagger liberals. I guess they like the weather.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Read the ST Petersburg (FL) classifieds, if I recall, may be the Tampa paper, but there is a note in there that states "No weapons of war" or "automatic weapons" I think it is.

Somebody from the Clearwater/Tampa area want to verify this??
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys are lucky...   Tucson newspapers don't even allow advertising of any guns by non dealers...   That really sucks...
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
   The IWANNA here in Greenville SC did the same thing to me when I tried to place an add wanting to buy M16 and M14 Mags.    I was told
they were preban items and they would not run them.    When I asked them why they had adds for M1 carbines, Springfield M1A's, Bushmaster
Carbines, etc, etc, The lady said she just
did what she was told and put me on hold.   When she came back she said they would run my add.    I told her to forget it and I could now save 75 cents a week and would not buy the
rag again.    
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
bigyeti...,

but..., but..., but !!! we do have www.usedgunstucson.com try it.., i lyke it, i bought one there....

CRC,
what bigyeti said, but they had to use the lame excuse that it violated the required background check, dealers can run ads...., but who looks at'm ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]

I don't even know if our local rag runs firearm ads or not. I canceled my delivery years ago when they were running anti gun editorials all the time. I don't miss it a bit. I should get a break on my garbage bill since i'm also keeping it out of the waste stream
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top