Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 5:10:28 PM EDT
I talked to someone about doing a residency in Washington, D.C.

Having moved from Richmond, VA to go to school, I know how bad traffic can get in the area.  However, the Residents are usually in at work by 6:30, so you can miss most of the traffic (and out again after 7:00pm).  

The Hospital is near Catholic U. and Howard U. (not familiar enough with the area to give an exact location).

Sounds like a good residency, and will probably put it in my "possibles" list.

Where can I live that is not excessively (I know that anywhere in the area is expensive, regardless) expensive?

What are MD's gun laws?  I'm familiar with VA's.

One benefit to MD, if I recall correctly, is that it is a Class 3 allowed state, and it is actually easier to get an MG in MD than in some places in VA (the Form 4 goes to the MD State Police, and they sign it as long as you have a clean background check).

Any other pointers about the area?

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you with the whole best area to live up there but I can say that Virginia is by far the best of the two in regards to gun rights.

I think if you did a search you would find lots of info on how Maryland is constantly infringing on their residents rights.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Maryland - BAD, Virginia -  A whole lot better.

Maryland has the dwarf Dyke Mikulski and Skank Sarbanes for Senators...both bad news.  PG County is a black run disaster-high taxes and inmates running the institution.  Montgomery County-facist county exec. Duncan hates guns.  Governor hates gun owners.  The bastard attorney general is very anti-gun.  Next year, that Kennedy family carpetbagging whore Townsend will be governor...bad news.

VA is as you know, a concealed carry state and is much more gun friendly.

Good question, why the heck would you want to go to school in that DC cesspool?  Ain't worth it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not school--residency.  The program is good, lots of varied cases to learn from observing and doing.  And, I am in Chicago now, so D.C. isn't too much worse than here.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in Maryland. Gun rights is definately not their strong point! I'd drive 50 miles each way to live in Va rather than 5 miles and live in Maryland.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Go with VA. MD is way to commie liberal. If you can stand the longer drive and catch the HOV lanes early live down 95 near Quantico or further depending on your tolerance for a long ride 35-45 mins. If you can advoid communitng between 6am-9am and 4pm-7pm, you'll cruise along just fine.

Or you can get a place in Arlington, big$$ and have a very short commute.

There ARE some nice places in MD, no where near the city though. Their gun laws just plain suck.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Washington Hospital Center is between Howard and Cathloic.  

You'll probably have to get a place out near Manassas, or it will cost lots more.  Maybe near Centreville and you can take the Metrorail in.  Or maybe live in DC. yuck.  But it would be close to your job.

No 50 ranges around. :(  Unless your talking 150 yards at a National Forest range.  Or drive up to PA somewhere.  I've heard of Peeltree WVA where they have a 1000 yard public range.  6+ hours away from the DC area.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in Maryland,lived there 18 years. {{STAY AWAY.}} I AM NOW IN VA BIN HERE 9 YEARS AND WONT GO BACK.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a reason why people get a BIG sendoff congratulations from all their progun buddies when they move out of Maryland.  Most of those people are moving to either PA or VA.  Dont give Maryland a single cent in taxes if you can avoid it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I vote for VA!

You see the fine print in catalogs "will not ship to MD"!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a second house in MD. I say live in VA. In MD:

- annual registration of MGs. Yes the State Police will signoff, but you have more paperwork. In VA, esecially counties close to DC, getting LEO signoff can be a pain (home inspection, gun safe required).

- MD has the stupid shell casing law and saturday night special law. On 1/1/03 all handguns must have some type of yet unspecified gun safety.

- MD you have to have mandatory training to buy a handgun.

- Dealers in MD typically charge higher prices because of the limited commerce.

Needless to say I buy my guns in VT.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
- annual registration of MGs. Yes the State Police will signoff, but you have more paperwork. In VA, esecially counties close to DC, getting LEO signoff can be a pain (home inspection, gun safe required).

VA has a MG registration also.  It is just a one time registration.  And your paperwork has to be kept with the gun.  Like a form 4.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Maryland, I won't even drive through the gawd-damned state.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I live in Arlington close to a metro station.  The metro is definitely handy for getting around and avoiding the traffic.  My advice would be to find a place close to the metro in VA either along the Blue, Yellow, or Orange lines.  Check out Falls Church, Fairfax, Vienna or Franconia/Springfield areas.  They all have metro stops and are less expensive to live in than Arlington or Alexandria.  Definitely stay out of MD.  There is nothing good about MD.  Plus, if you live in VA you will be very close to the NRA range which is one of the best indoor ranges around.  You can shoot anything there up to and including .460 Weatherby Magnum.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I live on the outskirts of Manassas, Va. I also think Va is the more gun friendly state. You might also consider living along the route traveled by the Virginia Railway Express (VRE). They have several daily runs from Fredericksburg  all the way in to Union Station in DC. I think the VRE has a web page also...
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#16]
As a Maryland inmate resident I concure - Live in Virginia.  Its a much more gun-friendly state and much more interested in the ideas of more freedom and less taxes.

If you can catch a train from Fredericksburg I can recommend the area.  My buddy bought his house down there a few years ago.  His house is twice the size of mine, has 7 times the land and paid for his NEW house what I paid for mine about 8 years ago (living in Maryland).
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
here ya go...
www.vre.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top