Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2002 5:20:40 PM EDT
I heard a new update on the Navy SEAL, Neil Roberts who was killed in action earlier this year. Evidently he was on the ground fighting at close range for 30 mintues or more after falling off the helicopter. The first report I heard this morning said he ran out of ammo and was eventually overran. A report I heard this evening said his rifle jammed. Anyone else hear anything? It sounds like this guy put up one hell of a fight and should be remembered by all of us as a hero. I'm sure the Al Queda and Taliban fighters saw that this American was not soft! I just hope that it wasn't his weapon that failed him. But it could have been struck by a bullet that caused the bolt to jam or anything....just too few details.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Reports indicate the only fire arm he had when fell from the helo was his side arm.

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, 30 minutes with a handgun? He gets my "Bad ass of the week" award.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
When he fell out of the helo, he only had his side arm.  He had lost his rifle helping another back into the helo after it took an RPG hit and the tail gunner fell out.  

Reportable, he killed an enemy gun crew with his side arm, commendered their weapon and continued the fight.  So it was more than like a PK or DS series weapon they are refering to.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Geez! If he managed to do all those things....kill a machine gun crew with a handgun, take over the weapon, and fight for 30 minutes....that sounds like Medal of Honor material to me. I hate that the poor guy had to go out, but it appears he decided that if he was going out it would be Audie Murphy style. What a bad ass this guy was! I bet he took a bunch of those buttmunches with him though, that's for damn sure.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, actually Audie Murphy survived his famous battle, but I agree with what you're getting at.  I've met a few Navy SEALs.  The thing that struck me the most was that they can be the nicest guys you could ever meet, but you sure wouldn't want to piss them off.

CNN had this to report:
www.cnn.com/2002/US/05/17/ret.seal.death/index.html
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit if that is true, he better get the Medal of Honor.

Makes me proud . . . what a beast this guy was. [Salute]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
See what high capacity 9mm's can do?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#8]
God bless him, and give him the Medal of Honor!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Reports indicate the only fire arm he had when fell from the helo was his side arm.

You are elected to the "Report Team".
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend who is seriously in the know. He said that yes he did fight for about 30 minutes or so until running out of ammo. Unsure as to the weapons involved. He couldnt be specific. Roberts was wounded and managed to make it 200 to 300 yards before enemy troops caught up with him. According to Predator surveilence, which we will never see, He even took one or two out with his knife before they captured and executed him. Medal of Honor indeed. Good friend of my fathers is an ex-seal. After knowing him, I have no doubt that Roberts took many with him. They truly are nice people. After all, when you are honestly as bad as them, what do you have to prove to anyone??
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
If what you folks posted about Roberts is true;
then he WAS the "Boy Dog" for sure!!A Medal of Honor is in order for that kind of spirit.

(sorry for the "okra spirit" reference)
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Report I read, on FOX I believe, said he had a machine gun, which would make more sense. Hey, whatever he had , he did a fine job and needs to be remembered with respect.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#13]
CNN specifies that the weapon that jammed up on him was a belt-fed machine gun and earlier reporting indicates he only had a sidearm, so it sounds like some type of award is in order here. Especially given the Predator to verify it.

MadOgre has Air Force SSgt. Kevin Vance's report online describing the rescue attempt to retrieve PO Roberts and the fifteen and a half hour battle that followed it.

www.madogre.com/Interviews/Afghanistan%20Debriefing.htm

It is a good read also.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought most Seals had HK .45's?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Mk23 was ordered and purchased for Special Ops, but it isn't exactly a hit (often called the Mk23 Dive Weight).  The P226 is still the preferred 9mm for reliability and accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Mk23 was ordered and purchased for Special Ops, but it isn't exactly a hit (often called the Mk23 Dive Weight).  The P226 is still the preferred 9mm for reliability and accuracy.

Owell it turned out to be a belt fed anyways.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But many carry custom-made 1911 type handguns in .45 Auto.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have never been in the military but as a skydiver I have had the pleasure of hanging out with many Airborne and Special Forces folk.
My home DZ is where SOCOM does all there demo jump training.
SOCOM, as I understand it, is a Special Forces group made up from every branch. I am sure SEALS and Green Beret probably Delta but noone has ever said. Some of the SEALS are my good friends.
Two SEALS that I know, you wouldnt in a million years, EVER think they did what they did for a living. My friend Danny, was selected for SEAL team 6 by Marchinko when it was first formed. Anybody who knows him would say he looks like Opie Taylor.(Danny if, by any chance you see this, dont hurt me). He now trains Air Marshals. My other friend, who I havent seen since october is also a sleeper. Anyone who met him would think you could kick his ass in a fight.I dont think you could.
Our special forces guys have something inside them that makes them who they are. Its not a  thing you can make in a gym or with physical training.You are born that way, you find out after you try.
My heartfelt sympathy for his family.
I am sorry for their/our loss.
And it is OUR loss.
BP
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
SOCOM, as I understand it, is a Special Forces group made up from every branch.

SOCOM isn't a group, it's a command...Special Operations Command.  It's in charge of all special forces from all services.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#20]
i have a friend from my home town who is a G2 type in Tampa. apparently the predator footage made the rounds internally. and what i heard just about matches what hawkeye said. i too think the medal of honor is forthcoming. although he did not save a large group of people or accomplish a strategic objective he apparently fought with a diligence, ferocity and will to live that everyone in the military should strive to emulate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top