Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2002 6:46:55 AM EDT
What's the easiset way to know the twist rate of a barrel.  I have an Essential Arms I bought from a friend years ago, but he doesn't remember what it is.  Is there a way to find out?

Also, is any given ammo geared towards any specific barrel twist more so than others?  Depending on my twist rate hwat ammo should I be sending through it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how to tell the twist rate if it isn't stamped on the barrel some where.  I can tell you that if you have a 1/9 twist you should be able to shoot 55 grain and 62 grain about equally well.  A lower twist like 1/7 or 1/8 will be more accurate with 55 grain and much less with 62 grain.  A higher twist than 1/9 will be more accurate with 62 grain and less with 55 grain.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not sure how to tell the twist rate if it isn't stamped on the barrel some where.  I can tell you that if you have a 1/9 twist you should be able to shoot 55 grain and 62 grain about equally well.  A lower twist like 1/7 or 1/8 will be more accurate with 55 grain and much less with 62 grain.  A higher twist than 1/9 will be more accurate with 62 grain and less with 55 grain.

I'm not an expert, from my understanding, for 55g bullets 1/14-1/7 is okay, for 62-68g bullets 1/9-1/7. For >68g bullets in 1/7.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The heavier bullets (62-69 gr) perform better from the faster twists (1/9 and 1/7). The 55 gr. will shoot well enough in all twists though. A barrel with a 1/12 twist should only be used with 55 gr or lighter ammo. The 62 gr rounds should never be shot from the 1/12 twists barrels as the bullet will not be stabilized by the slower twist. Accuracy will suffer if it is used....especially from 90 yards on out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone said this on another thread about "barrel twist" and "bullet weight"
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=103867
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=103345
Slow er down (Rifle twist down the barrel), Lighter Round
GIB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top