Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2002 6:17:12 AM EDT
I have a chance to buy a Bushmaster AR-15 for about the same price that I was going to spend on a Ruger M77 .223 target rifle.

I want a rifle in .223 for general target shooting and occasional varmint/predator hunting.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#1]
bushmaster
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what the law is in Wisconsin, but I think some states do not allow semiautos for hunting.  That is one thing that might need to be considered.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Does this price reflect optics for the Ruger as well.  What type of Bushmaster.  You are comparing apples and oranges right now.  At least tell us if they are Granny Smith apples versus Sunkist oranges.  Need more info about the rifles so we can tell you the +/- of both.

223REM

edited because I had a serious brainfart!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
semi-auto is fine in wisconsin, also there is no mag limit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah getting a Bushmaster is a better idea.  It's a much more versatile rifle than a Ruger M77.  It's probably more accurate too.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The bushmaster is a standard run of the mill version with a 20" barrel(new). The Ruger is equipped with a Burris 4-12 power scope. Less than 60 rounds through it. I have seen this rifle in action and have shot it as well. Trigger pull is about 2.5 lbs. VERY smooth. What can I expect from Bushmaster w/ their trigger pull? Is mounting a scope on the reciever hard? Or should I save a little more for the flat top?

I would like a tack driving rifle (Ruger) but the appearance of the Bushmaster leaves me wanting it as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:The bushmaster is a standard run of the mill version with a 20" barrel(new). The Ruger is equipped with a Burris 4-12 power scope. Less than 60 rounds through it. I have seen this rifle in action and have shot it as well. Trigger pull is about 2.5 lbs. VERY smooth. What can I expect from Bushmaster w/ their trigger pull? Is mounting a scope on the reciever hard? Or should I save a little more for the flat top?

I would like a tack driving rifle (Ruger) but the appearance of the Bushmaster leaves me wanting it as well.

Well, you will be disappointed with the Bushmaster trigger.  I'd estimate mine out of the box at about 7 lbs.  I put in a JP trigger for $100 that got it down to the 4 lb range.

If you will be using a scope much, get the flattop.  The carry handle mounts leave a lot to be desired.  Maybe a cheek piece would help.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Bushmaster.

If you want a 223 bolt gun look at Kimber or Cooper Arms.

With the bushy you can venture down the path of AR mods and tweaks - nearly an endless journey!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
bushmaster

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
on top of what everybody else says, i think the obvious has been ignored.  do you want a bolt gun or semi-auto?  start there, then ask your questions.

fwiw, the AR is more versatile, but if all you're doing is target shooting and occassional(?) hunting (as opposed to serious "sloggin' through the mud, out every day season is open" hunting, i'm not sure there's much of an advantage in that sense.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy the best AR made, excluding custom brands: Colt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the best of both...Bushmaster Varminter...mine shoots great.

DUDE, YOUR GETTING A BUSHMASTER!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#13]
BUSHMONSTER
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I just got off the phone w/ my local gunshop. He has ONE Bushmaster Varminter on his shelf. I WILL be going there tonight to plunk down some green to hold it till I can come up with the remainder. $300 more than I was looking to spend, but hey, I'm 32 and I deserve it. I've wanted an AR in one configuration or another for the last 18 years, now is the time to get it.

Now the next question....what scope for around $150-$200?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Buy the best AR made, excluding custom brands: Colt.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Tasco has a nice Target scope with a fine crosshair dot reticle and 1/8" target turret adjustments, Mid-South Shooters Supply has them for well under $200.  They also come with two sun shades, 3" and 5", looks really cool.  Power offerings are 6x24 or 8x32.  On my Varminter with cheap FMJ loads I am getting .700" at 100 yards with some "not so serious" shooting as I am shooting off the hood of my truck.  With some work at the reloading bench, and better set up off the shooting bench, I know the groups will be smaller.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations! The Varminter is awesome and you won't be disappointed!

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Congratulations! The Varminter is awesome and you won't be disappointed!

I couldn't agree more!

GIB
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes yes...Varminter has made me happy happy. Comes with a 5 round mag which Bushy sez is legal for hunting in most states.

Passes all coooooool requirements.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#20]
PS: I'm what I consider to be a lousy shot and the bullet holes at 100 yards (bench w/scope of course) actually touch.

My mommy so proud.

Alright I'll shut up now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Get urself a Vepr K or Vepr II in .223. Its an AK with the fit , finish, workmanship, and accuracy of an AR. Its an AR in an AK body.

If u spend a little more try a Robinson Arms recon carbine, handled one at the shot show , very nice
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just got off the phone w/ my local gunshop. He has ONE Bushmaster Varminter on his shelf. I WILL be going there tonight to plunk down some green to hold it till I can come up with the remainder. $300 more than I was looking to spend, but hey, I'm 32 and I deserve it. I've wanted an AR in one configuration or another for the last 18 years, now is the time to get it.

Now the next question....what scope for around $150-$200?

Welcome to the club brother. I started wanting an AR in one config or another at a young age. (about 12 i think) Im 18 now and got my first AR15 just last year. It was a bushmaster A2 20". Ive read alot about the varminter and it is AWSOME to say the least. Good luck on gettin that gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#23]
For your price range you might want to consider the Nikons. Thier lower priced models would fit your budget requirements.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]
>>I want a rifle in .223 for general target shooting and occasional varmint/predator hunting.<<
For those purposes, the Ruger is a far better choice.  The AR platform is great for lots of things, but if those are your areas of concern the Ruger will fit your needs better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top