Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 7:20:48 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with their shotgun ammo?  I've shot lots of their 9 and had no problems, but I know lots of people have had problems with the 223.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had no problems with it cycling through a Benelli M3.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It is unbuffered buckshot and as a result the pellets distort upon firing and cause a wide uneven pattern.

If max spread and max pellets are your goal then it's fine. Remember due to its roll crimp it's as long as a 3" shell and will reduce magazine tube capacity.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem cycling 00 through my Benelli M1, which is usually very picky.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No problem cycling 00 through my Benelli M1, which is usually very picky.

Picky??, Mine runs everything but real weak skeet stuff. Mine runs like the HK video.
GG
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It was weird, I was shooting a bunch of birdshot with my Moss 500 then switched to the S&B stuff and the gun failed to eject a few rounds of the S&B, I don't know what was going on never had that gun have any kind of malfunctions????
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I had no problem with the S&B OO buck, the strange thing is the box is marks the shell as 2 3/4, but the actual shell was 3", I can only feed six in my Benelli M1.  It function fine but like Tommy said, the pattern is wild and uneven.  it is great for blasting or a shotgun class, but I wouldn't use it for defensive reason.  

Their handgun ammo is awesome.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Patterns fine for self defense in my 870 up to 15 feet.  It's not quite 3" so depending on the shotgun and the spring, you can sometimes get the same number of S&B as "regular" 2 and 3/4 shells.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a case of this stuff, the box says 2 3/4" and the OAL is only 2 1/2"  (W 209 SB)
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had no problem with the S&B OO buck, the strange thing is the box is marks the shell as 2 3/4, but the actual shell was 3", I can only feed six in my Benelli M1.  It function fine but like Tommy said, the pattern is wild and uneven.  it is great for blasting or a shotgun class, but I wouldn't use it for defensive reason.  

Their handgun ammo is awesome.  

They are 2 3/4, You measure the shot shell after you shoot it. S&B are rolled while some others are crimped, Rolled are normally 1/4 inch longer unfired thats why you hold less.
GG
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was weird, I was shooting a bunch of birdshot with my Moss 500 then switched to the S&B stuff and the gun failed to eject a few rounds of the S&B, I don't know what was going on never had that gun have any kind of malfunctions????

Thats a operator or gun problem.
GG
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:

Picky??, Mine runs everything but real weak skeet stuff. Mine runs like the HK video.
GG

Well, I have a lot of crap hanging off of my M1, surefire forearm, sidesaddle (yes I have loosened the sidesaddle with some success), and the bbl is ported, so that all has a bit to do with the cycling problems.  It's not my choice load (due to the accuracy issues and long case as mentioned) but I use it as range ammo since it's cheap and fun to blast around with.

I loan out some to a guy at a shoot one time, and he couldn't get it to cycle out of a Rem autoloader (11-87 I think) so it won't work on all guns.  Something to think about before you buy a case load...
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
No problems to report here,I remember they used to make a rubber buckshot too I still have about 20rounds of the stuff,it fired just as good as the real buckshot !
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Gun guru what could I be doing wrong?? its a pump shotgun not much can go wrong right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

GG

Well, I have a lot of crap hanging off of my M1, surefire forearm, sidesaddle (yes I have loosened the sidesaddle with some success), and the bbl is ported, so that all has a bit to do with the cycling problems.  It's not my choice load (due to the accuracy issues and long case as mentioned) but I use it as range ammo since it's cheap and fun to blast around with.

I loan out some to a guy at a shoot one time, and he couldn't get it to cycle out of a Rem autoloader (11-87 I think) so it won't work on all guns.  Something to think about before you buy a case load...

I seem to recall something about European shotgun ammo having a rim angle different to that of US ammo. When I first started shooting practical shotgun in the UK (mid 80s) gunsmiths in the UK would reprofile the extractor of Remington or Mossberg shotguns to make them more reliable with local ammo.

Having said that, I never had any problems with Brit ammo in any of my US shotguns (870, 1187 and S&W 3000), so maybe this was just BS.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
The shells are longer than U.S. buckshot, it works fine in my Benelli, recoil (and presumably muzzle velocity) is less than U.S. buckshot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I've shot the 00buck out of my 12 ga (a Winchester pump) and it patterns REAL well. Keep 4 rounds in an elastic ammo holder on the stock. The WallyMarts here sell the Remington 20 & 12ga birdshot shells so cheap, I never buy anything else to hunt with, so I haven't tried any of S&B's other loads.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Gun guru what could I be doing wrong?? its a pump shotgun not much can go wrong right?

You probably did one of those freak things that goofed up, I do it all the time. Who knows what it is.
GG
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Every Benelli I've shot w/ S&B 2.75" Buck worked fine.  The tricky length caused a problem in an Rem 1187, however.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#19]
i have had a few failure to feeds in my herd of mossbergs, i was using buckshot for bowling pins, hmmmm
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#20]

in my herd of mossbergs

Anyone else get the funny image of a bunch of shotguns milling about?z
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#21]

I have shot about 2 cases of S&B  W 209 SB (2 3/4 12 pellet 00 Buck) through Benelli's M1,M3 Folder, and Super Black Eagle. Nary a hicup.  I have found at shotgun ranges the patterns and penetration fine for self defense.  The extra 3 pellets over most loads helps the pattern.  The extra length of the shells does cause loss of capacity however.  Have heard of a few problems with gas guns. Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#22]
This is my Favorite Buckshot!
I get it for $10 a box.

Its underloaded for 00 buckshot and its actually 3 inch shells, but its so cheap that blowing a box isn't a big issue.

If I want to use it for defense or hunting, I'll spend the cash on some magnum buckshot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I get it for $10 a box.

Its underloaded for 00 buckshot and its actually 3 inch shells, but its so cheap that blowing a box isn't a big issue.

If I want to use it for defense or hunting, I'll spend the cash on some magnum buckshot.

No its not underloaded or 3 inches, you measure the shell after you shoot it, you are buying it a dollar cheaper than I sell it.
GG
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#24]
My Benelli M1 Tactical and my Remington 870 Marine magnum love it!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I get it for $10 a box.

No its not underloaded or 3 inches, you measure the shell after you shoot it, you are buying it a dollar cheaper than I sell it.
GG

Ummm yes, it is underloaded for 00 buckshot, cause every other buckshot I've shot, kicks harder (sorry I don't have a more detailed test)

It may not be marketed as 3 inch (2 3/4) but it takes up the same amount of space in my benelli as 3 inch shells, I guess I said that incorrectly on my first post.

My local gun shop is getting this stuff for $9 a box and selling it for $10. Looks like you need a new "source". Whats yer point?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top