Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 3:06:59 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting an inexpensive WW2 rifle, and have narrowed it down to a Russian M44 Mosin-Nagant and some Mauser variant, haven't decided yet.

Anybody have any recommendations?  I'm leaning toward the Mosin.  Anybody with a Mosin have any problems with it?  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Mosin Nagant M44 and a Yugo Mauser 48, both of which are available quite cheaply right now (and ammo is cheap too).

The M44 is short and has a cool folding triangular bayonet, but it kicks like a mother when shot.  The M48 has a nice solid feel to it, and polishes up real nice when you suck the cosmoline out of the stock.

Actually, you should just buy them both.  Burns Brothers has both in stock quite reasonably now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Phil is right.

There is only 1 correct anwser.  BOTH!!!  If you have to pick a starting point though, get the Mauser.  The M48 would be excellent as ammo is very very cheap right now.  But the Mosin is very different (yet the same) as the Mauser.  One is not really better than the other, just very different.

Buy what you can find with a good barrel first, and KNOW that you WILL HAVE to have the other as well.

Mil-surps are kinda like pringles, once you start it really is hard to stop.  They are very unique weapons with awesome history, you will enjoy either of them, and both of them immensely.

The M-44 version of the Mosin will hurt your shoulder more than a wide butt Mauser.

Edited to add: TRY to find all numbers matching.  Failing that, MAKE SURE THE BOLT AND RECEIVER/BARREL HAVE THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER.  This will help ensure you get something with proper headspace.

If you have a mis-matched bolt to receiver, it would be wise to invest in go/ no-go /field gauges to avoid possible headspace problems.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a mosin-nagant and am real happy with it.

BTW it doesn't kick like my custom .458 Win Mag
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the K98k capture Mausers from CDNN. I picked up a Non-matching, laminate stock, select grade for $109. This is my new baby. Cleaned up very nice, bluing in excellent condition, crisp clean bore, furniture was excellent, what a blast to shoot. All the waffen amt stamps were scrubbed off, and replaced with the Yugo crest on the barrel, but it's a very fine, shootable example of the German K98k Mauser.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I was experiencing this same dilemma.. I went with an inexpensive Turk Mauser for my first C&R purchase.  I think I'll try for a 1/month pace

OH, I also went and ordered a set of GO/NOGO gauges from Brownells for several common C&R types (.303brit, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54R...) (cool discount there if you have an FFL)
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't you rather have an Lee Enfield ? Detachable 10 round magazines...reputation as the worlds most RELIABLE and fastest Bolt Action Rifle..
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Mauser , Nagant or Enfield ? Why strain yourself , get all three like I did .
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
anyone know where I can get the wooden stock for an Enfield? Mine came "sporterized."
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Yo Vinnie---Springfield Sporters has complete wood for No1's and No4 SMLE...
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yo Vinnie---Springfield Sporters has complete wood for No1's and No4 SMLE...

Online store?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, Old School! Good catalog though. Tons of parts. Pretty good service and they make it right if they screw up. Been dealing with them for about 12 years.

724-254-2626
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I would say get both they are cheap, I was looking for one of these rifles, A good beater gun for deer hunting, Something I would not worry about getting trashed in the rain, snow and what ever in between that come come down. I ended up getting neither, I got a FR8 in .308. Cool looking gun, .308, nice rear peep and front post sights, Just like a Cetme. plus its a cool flash surpressor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#13]
If you just want to try the C&R thing, hard to go wrong with a like-new M44 or M48. Exc Turks are much harder to find but still around the $100-150 range and worth it to me for the better bbls (and the very long sight radius compared to M48). My favorite of 5 old guns is the M39 Mosin. $160 for rearsenaled VG-Exc quality, smooth shooting and 2" groups on milsurp ammo. Have you found Parralax's and Tuco's C&R boards yet?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I asked the same thing a little less than a month ago here.

Here I am a few weeks later with a Swedish M96 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30 from Wholesale Guns and Ammo set to arrive this week.

If you don't think you'd be willing to handle the addiction, I strongly adivse you to walk away now!    These old battle rifles are very addictive!

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
anyone know where I can get the wooden stock for an Enfield? Mine came "sporterized."

I bought a complete (less metal) No. 4 stock set from Brian Dick.  [email protected] I remember it costed my about $70.00.  The stock is a very nicely grained beech.

OSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top