Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2002 1:41:53 PM EDT
Shooters
I am looking to buy my firt AR.  I really want to get an M4, but I am not really sure what brand to get.  I see such a discrepency in price from Colt to Bushmaster to Olymic Arms to Rock River.  At what point does the quality start to decrease?

I have never heard anything bad about any of these brands and if you have some others to share with me please do.  Im just and AK guy trying to break in to the AR market efficently.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad things I've noticed:

Colt: over priced

Bushmaster: quality control down a bit, more and more reports of Barrel indexing errors, but an easy fix.

Oly:  some forged and some cast recievers.  Make sure you know which one you are getting

RRA:  Rail out of spec.  Mods necessarry when mounting optics.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Gentlemen
I really am looking for your opinions----let me have them----pros cons likes dislikes--bring it on
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy Colt, at least you can resell it for what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Gentlemen
I really am looking for your opinions----let me have them----pros cons likes dislikes--bring it on

An honest opinion from someone who's first AR was a preban is to get yourself a Bushmaster flat top m4gery.  Should cost between $800 and $900 and you will love it.  That should get you a rifle that won't give you any trouble that you can learn on, then experiment with different stuff.  I don't buy the "go with a Colt to keep it's value" mantra cause i never sell my guns!

Like I said, just my opinion and like assholes everybody's got 'em...
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the current production of RRA uppers now have the same rail spec as all other manufacturers.  Could someone clarify this.  I bought a RRA M4 upper based on this new info.
Thanks
Bill3508
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top