Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 11:00:47 AM EDT
Anyone else out there have the Daewoo K2? What a fine rifle, and you never see much written up on it. Yes, I know the problem with replacement parts, but that used to be true of the Galil a few years ago, and hopefully parts will come available in the future. I do not know how many daewoos were imported, but there never seems to be much discussion on this fine rifle. Am I the only one who thinks this is one of the best "assault style" rifles out there? Well built, good quality, accurate, and incorporates the best of the FAL, AK, and AR. I may get blasted here, but I feel it's actually a better rifle than any of the 20in barreled AR series (parts replacement aside).

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Daewoo makes a great rifle (also cranes, cars, TVs, stereos, etc), but you just don't see a whole lot of 'em. This could be because since they are such good guns, noone ever gets rid of them. I had a daewoo DP-380 that was a nice little gun, and like an idiot, GAVE it to a friend of mine, so they'd have some means of self-defense.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I went into the local dealer looking for one, and all they had was a bunch of cars... Any idea how I get them to order me a gun?

-Jared
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a k2 once back in 1998. It was on sale at a gun store out west for $300 with the folding stock. I wish I got it.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Did someone say DAEWOO!!

I agree, it is the best AW in the world along with the Galil!

I am thinking of taking some detailed measurements of some of the parts in case I need to make replacements.....

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]

I've got TWO and they are my favorite "assualt type" .223 I've got!

Libertas an Mortis!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got one and it's a completely different shooting "experience" than the AR15.  Mine is very accurate and smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Leganza

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Had one for 7 or 8 years and loved it.  Only reason I sold it was that I'd been out of work for 3 months, and eating became more of a necessity than shooting.  Still miss it

Something I discovered when I owned it was that the US Army version on the .22 rimfire conversion unit can be modified to work perfectly in the Daewoo. All it takes is a Dremel tool, a piece of an aluminum rod, (I used a 12 guage cleaning rod piece) to fill the gas tube, and a circular chunk to lengthen the body of the conversion unit to the back of the Daewoos lower reciever (I cut off an M16 flash suppressor to the correct length).  Cut a slot in the top of the conversion unit body for the operating handle, use the Dremel to cut a groove in the left side of the conversion unit to clear the Daewoo's ejector, and she works like a charm.  Best of all, if you take the lengthening piece off the rear of the unit, it still works fine in AR15's

Darn, I wish I still had that gun![>(]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree that it is a GREAT rifle and I would love to have one myself. I have alot of friends who were in the Korean Army and say that they prefer the M16 to the K2. The thing that they did like about the K2 the most was it is alot easier to handle with a smaller body frame than the full size 20" M16.
IT(their)HO
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I have owned my AR-100 for about 2 years now. Have added a B-Square mount, OKO sight, Phantom FS, E&L stock extension. Shoots great with Black Hills 52-55 grain ammo. Best folding stock design of all the pre-bans, locks up tighter that a drum. I am 6'4" so the stock extension was a real blessing. Have been thinking of adding a compact 3-4X scope to it. Have shot 1 MOA with the dot sight, set my TAO1 ACOG on it, just didn't look right! Has a 1-12 barrel twist, takes M16 bayonet, pretty decent trigger too, much less gritty than my Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
That's interesting NHRAMark, yours has a 1 in 12? My manual states 1 in 7.3 in. I was not aware that they came any other way?

I do have to agree with you raf, the safely could be better. For those that do not know, it has the M16/AR15 type safely, but "safe" is the same as the AR15 but "fire" requires you to flip it 180 degrees (where "full" would be on an M16). I often put it straight up (where "fire" is on an AR15) because it's still on "safe" in that position on my K2, and simply flip it back when I want to fire. The safely could probably be modified so that the rifle will fire in the same position as the AR15 (straight up), but, until/unless extra safeties are available, I'm gonna leave it alone. (if you want to see something mess up fast-just let me do some "home gunsmithing!!)
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#14]
The Daewoo rifle takes AR mags right?So would it be possible for a postban version to be made here in the US?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#15]
The only ones I've ever seen in person have had the butt hole stock.  I don't see too many of 'em any more but the last one I saw, someone was trying to get $1200 for.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]
K1A1 here collapsible stock version different gas system.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
i started out shooting a K3 my buddy bought back in 94 or 95. it was the first ones imported into the US. better than the SAW, but parts were a problem, especially when we blew a bbl, the replacement cost $700!. ouch. ended up selling them because it was easier to get stuff for the minimi. i bought 2 k2 lowers @ a show in '92 ($70 -  those were the days), and got the parts from dr's to put it together the same year, but couldn't get the original stock so i put a reconstitued minimi folder on it. came out ok, but still would like to get an original (anyone got one laying around?). what really sucked was that i was working AT daewoo, and i couldn't get any help from anyone there. the koreans here were very UNhelpful with this stuff. even for parts, they just didn't want to be bothered. scene probably won't change for the better now that gm is involved. i also have 2 k1 uppers that fit on the lower for something different. the k1's have the ar15's gas system though.

i also got a leader that i made an adapter for to put on an ace stock. if anyone wants one, i can make them reasonable. hell, there're ALL preban, it's a sin not to have an evil folding stock on it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#18]
My personal opinion is that they are the finest 5.56 rifle out there.  They took the best of everything and put it into one rifle.  I sold a few of my ARs once I got my K2.  I picked up a DR200 for spare parts.  I am always looking for reasonable ones for extras. If not for politics and import bans I am sure they would be more popular.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top