Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2002 11:01:28 PM EDT
As a resident of Texas, can I go to New Mexico and purchase a rifle?  I thought I read somewhere that you could buy a long gun in a state you were not a resident of but you could not buy a pistol.  I'm going fishing in New Mexico tommorrow and thought I might check out a few shops on my trip.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can, as long as you buy from a dealer and the transaction complies with both Texas and New Mexico laws.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As a resident of Texas, can I go to New Mexico and purchase a rifle?  I thought I read somewhere that you could buy a long gun in a state you were not a resident of but you could not buy a pistol.  I'm going fishing in New Mexico tommorrow and thought I might check out a few shops on my trip.

Your biggest problem might be that not a lot of dealers understand the law.  Quite a few think that you have be a resident of their state.  I had to convince one guy to call his local ATF person for confirmation, but it worked out.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, didn't find anything of any interest in the southern New Mexico gun shops but I did have a great day fishing.  Fished for 3 hours and had a fish (trout) on the line every 5-10 min.  Only kept a few of the biggest.  Tossed the rest back for future fun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Dukota - Read section 30-7-9 of this article.
www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/nmexico.pdf  Yes, you can buy a gun in New Mexico.  Now the question is, does Texas allow your purchase in New Mexico?  And the answer is "YES."  Read section 46.07 at www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/texas.pdf.  YOU ARE SOOOOOOOO LUCKY.  Damn Kalifornia....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top