Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 11:01:28 PM EDT
As a resident of Texas, can I go to New Mexico and purchase a rifle? I thought I read somewhere that you could buy a long gun in a state you were not a resident of but you could not buy a pistol. I'm going fishing in New Mexico tommorrow and thought I might check out a few shops on my trip.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:51:47 AM EDT
Yes, you can, as long as you buy from a dealer and the transaction complies with both Texas and New Mexico laws.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:22:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dukota:
As a resident of Texas, can I go to New Mexico and purchase a rifle? I thought I read somewhere that you could buy a long gun in a state you were not a resident of but you could not buy a pistol. I'm going fishing in New Mexico tommorrow and thought I might check out a few shops on my trip.

Your biggest problem might be that not a lot of dealers understand the law. Quite a few think that you have be a resident of their state. I had to convince one guy to call his local ATF person for confirmation, but it worked out.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:18:53 PM EDT
Well, didn't find anything of any interest in the southern New Mexico gun shops but I did have a great day fishing. Fished for 3 hours and had a fish (trout) on the line every 5-10 min. Only kept a few of the biggest. Tossed the rest back for future fun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:35:17 PM EDT
Dukota - Read section 30-7-9 of this article.
www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/nmexico.pdf Yes, you can buy a gun in New Mexico. Now the question is, does Texas allow your purchase in New Mexico? And the answer is "YES." Read section 46.07 at www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/texas.pdf. YOU ARE SOOOOOOOO LUCKY. Damn Kalifornia....
Top Top