Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 8:32:22 PM EDT
I've got a Hesse cast lower.  It forms the foundation of an Oly/DPMS rifle.  I've had Colt,  and fired Bushy's or ?.  This rifle(maybe I lucked out)fits tighter than any other I've seen anywhere.  w/o the bushing.  Who has lucked out etc. with these cheaper lowers, or had crappy luck.  I'm looking for the best lowers for the money.  I wonder what Wilson combat, Les Baer and the like use???
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
For the money?  You cannot go wrong with Oly or RRA.  Both make a quality, established lower.

Especially in the $90 to $100 range.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Been running forged Oly for couple of years now.  Excellent product.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
it's mostly the upper that determines how tight they will fit.  my oly lower fits tightly w/a lot of other non-oly uppers.  my EX oly upper was a LOOSE POS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My Oly Lower has a nice tight fit,so nice that an accu-wegde doesnt even fit in it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard that some Oly's have tight mag wells. But I've had zero problems out of my preban Olympic SGW lower. Any mag that doesn't fit in my Olympic also doesn't fit my Bushmaster.

As far as the upper/lower fit, it also matches tight with all the the uppers of various manufacturers (Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, RRA) that I've put on it.

Can't speak about their quality nowadays, but I'm happy with my preban.

Also, the RRA lowers are of high quality. Both in fit and finish.

edited for spelling errors

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Hesse makes the poorest quality lowers I've ever seen. Cast lowers are crap as the rifle was ENGINEERED (look it up) around forging. The one I bought was a huge mistake as the finish was crap, there were scratches in both the finish and casting, there were gaps and chunks missing, the upper surface wasn't flat, the buffer assembly retaining pin hole was drilled too far aft so that the buffer slammed into it with each shot destroying the buffer in about 200 rounds ... should I go on??

Lesson learned: don't try to save $20 on a $600 to $1000 rifle by going cheap. Five years ago when I bought this lower Hesse was claiming super quality and top of the line manufacturing. The truth is they lied.  

Get a Bushmaster lower and you'll be right.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see someone had luck with a Hesse.

Just because the barrel is full of bad apples doesn't mean that there isn't a good apple or two somewhere in there.

How lucky do you feel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top