Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 5:34:29 PM EDT
I have a friend who owns a local rural grocery store down the road. He's a huge gun fanatic as well. In fact, he told me to bring any new firearms in so that he can see my new toys. I've carried AR's and AK's in there in the past, even when it was crowded with customers. Well, I stopped in to show him my new PSS and next thing you know, I'm putting it on the digital deli scale in front of patrons. It weighed in at 13.62# fully-loaded with optics and bipod. This heavyweight baby ought to sit tight upon firing. It's great to live in a town where you can openly carry weapons into a grocery store and no one even notices.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:39:02 PM EDT
I always knew there was something I liked about living in Indiana...other than the hot, humid summers and cold, bitter winters.....
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:45:39 PM EDT
Heck, I went in there a few weeks ago and there was a Watson's Weapons .50 BMG sitting on the floor. The guy keeps a Desert Eagle .44 in the store for protection.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:47:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4Madness: This heavyweight baby ought to sit tight upon firing.

It's actually got quite a bit more recoil than you might think.

I learned to shoot scoped rifle with a .243 A-bolt. This is what I expected the recoil to be like.

Nope. Nothing like that at all. It's not bad, mind you, but for such a heavy rifle, I was really surprised (and still am) at the recoil it's got.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:48:53 PM EDT
13.62#, heh. Like you, I recently purchased new a heavyweight rifle, a savage 116FSAK in .300 Ultra Mag that would easily beat that weight. But then again, it'll send a 200 grain .30 cal bullet at 3300fps. The weight helps with that whole shoulder/recoil thing. It's in a choate ultimate sniper stock, w/ a tasco custom shop 8-40x56mm scope, and a harris bipod. So come on, tell us everything that's on your rifle?

I think my next bolt action will be a remington 700 titanium in .308, so I can have a rifle I can carry.

Oh, and I wouldn't try that open carry in a grocery store thing here in Maryland, unless you want a free in depth tour of our supermax prison.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:14:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunman0:
So come on, tell us everything that's on your rifle?

Remington 700 PSS in .308
Badger Ordnance one-piece base w/20MOA ramp
Badger Ordnance 30mm "high" rings
Springfield Armory 2nd Generation Government Model 4-14X56AO scope
Harris LM-S 9"-13" bipod
Uncle Mike's black sling and quick-release swivels
Butler Creek flip-up scope covers

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:32:52 PM EDT
The only difference between yours and mine are:

Generation of the scope
and
I have a Turner Saddlery "Hathcock" sling.

You might check into that sling. I REALLY like it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:48:16 PM EDT
Now I gotta find a friendly store in my area.
Thanks for a general figure to look for.
I was shooting for about 12-13lbs. for mine.
We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:19:57 PM EDT

Well, I stopped in to show him my new PSS and next thing you know, I'm putting it on the digital deli scale in front of patrons.

Shit, THAT'S why my bologna tasted like Hoppes!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:24:41 AM EDT
believe it or not thats what it was like in rural MD in the 80s when i was a teenager. a lot of guys went hunting before school and "i got a deer this morning" was a legit excuse to be late. that was before Parris Glendenning and zero-tolerance polocies f**ked MD all up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:23:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2002 6:32:33 AM EDT by Yojimbo]
Here's mine on the far right. I got with Remington TWS package. It comes with the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 40mm Tactical, Harris bipod, speed sling, cleaning kit and Pelican hard case. Mine came with a 26" barrel but I thought they normally came with 24". My setup weighed almost 14lbs.

My dear wife got it for me as a wedding gift!!

I'm seriously considering sending the scope back to Leupold and having the Mil-Dot reticle installed. Has anyone else had this done?

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/CD/0E/8618957-c3e0-01800200-.jpg
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:11:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
I'm seriously considering sending the scope back to Leupold and having the Mil-Dot reticle installed. Has anyone else had this done?

Premier Reticles
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:25:59 PM EDT
This one is mine dressed in a Leupold M3 tactical with mil dot. I think it would look nice with a Turner sling on it.

Top Top