Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 12:19:43 PM EDT
I have always liked the look of a double barrel shotgun especially the coach gun but I already have a 12ga pump  should I buy another one? They went on sale at big 5 for $179, I forgot what make it is but it says it handles 2 3/4 and 3" shells it has the two triggers and exposed hammers? are these any good?

I was thinking I could cut the stock down and have like a pistol griped shotgun which is always handy for the truck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
because they're fun!!!
and if you decide to ever get into that cowboy action stuff, you can us it for that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16ga double barrel SxS not like a coach gun but a bird gun and you can only fire on round at a time with a coach gun can you fire both barrels at once, that would be fun.
The main thing is I am looking for reliability I don't want some thing thats going to fall apart and break.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
well, i don't know what model you mean, but it's pretty hard to f up something as simple as a coach gun.
i can almost GUARANTEE you that you will never have a FTF or malfunction with a coach gun, if you do, it will almost always be ammo related.
if you want something to go bang EVERY time you pull the trigger, this is your gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They are made by "century"? any good?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If only I could carry a Coach Gun on MY "Coach"...
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes they are the exposed hammers and it also has 2 triggers 1 behind the other.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
well, don't know much about century arms, but to re-iterate what i said, it would pretty hard to f up making an exposed hammer double barrel
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the exposed hammers a good thing? if not why?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Greg,I had a Rossi coach gun twenty years ago. It looked cool but sucked when shot. First the stock on those guns tend to be too short. Second the external hammers were too hard to cock back with any speed. Third when you pulled the rear trigger your finger was pinched by the front trigger. And last it kicked like a mule. Cowboy action shooting was not around at that time so I sold it for almost nothing. They fetch a good price now. If you buy one get internal hammers. Mike.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
go rent tombstone
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
what excuse other than you want one?

Lets see, its pretty blue steel and woodwork are art, so you are just an artist at heart.

How bout that?

Or, its really neat and I want it.

Or, I am man.... and shotguns are necessary to the male experience...therefore....

Those are just off the top o' me head, but good enough to start.

Dram.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
More modern double barrels have hammers inside the lockwork of the gun-the round part at the end of the barrel. When snap the gun shut they cock.

Open gun
Load gun
close gun
pull trigger for first shot
pull trigger for second shot (on most guns which have single triggers)

On the hammerless types I own, the safety engages when the gun is closed, so you need to add in that step . . .

However, all my doubles are field guns, I'm not sure if coach guns work the same . . .
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I already have a mossberg 500 12ga so I am trying to find a excuse, I will go check it out tommorow and if I fall in love I will probably buy it, we will see, I will keep you guys posted.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#18]
there really fun with blackpowder

nothing like that giant fireball and a ton of smoke
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
>>Are the exposed hammers a good thing? if not why?<<
Depends on what you want to do. The exposed hammers allow you to load the gun then lower the hammers so the springs are at rest.  With the concealed hammer, if the gun is loaded the hammers are always cocked.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:49:11 AM EDT
[#20]
If it is a Norinco, you will find it is surprisingly well made (for a chinese gun).  We can't keep them in the shop.  I will get one when I can sneak it into the house and not have my wife see it.  

This gun has two safeties, one to block the firing pin and one to block the sear.  The hammers actuall fall on the firing pins, and are not fake.

OT: We also get in the Norinco copies of the 870.  Good gun as well for the $$.  You get the ghost ring sights in the deal along with an extended tube for $200.  And the 870 accessories from Scattergun can be used as well.  I've done one where I put in a green follower, side saddle (some grinding on the narrow part), and an oversized safety on it.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Since Century got mentioned in here somewhere...

I have a Jing An (another ChiCom - similar to Norinco) manufactured SxS coach gun with the rabbit ears that I picked up a few months ago at a gun show.  It was imported by Century.

I have to say that I love it.  It's just that classic look for a short-barreled SxS shotgun.  It balances rather well, isn't to cumbersome.

Birdshot out of 'em is just a real blast - literally!  You barely feel any recoil.  Buckshot hits your shoulder and lets you know what you just touched off.  Slugs in this gun have a tendency to dislocate your shoulder - but those 3" magnum slugs make one helluva trachcan-sized fireball!

Just my .02, and my experiences with it.  Like I said, I love mine.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd get one with exposed hammers just for the looks.

I have an old Ithaca side by side my Grandfather gave me. Its very light, and kicks like a mule. I can't hit sh*t with it...except maybe close up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Get an exposed hammer coach gun for fun..., but for the serious shyt, get a hammerless 12 Ga.

when i was gunsmithing some fella brought me an L.C.Smith in parts in a box, no stock & the barrel was hacksawed off at 22" at a very noticeable angle..., he asked me to fix it & how much wud it cost, after completely refurbishing the gun & making two new firing pins & one sear, i had that shotgun looking lyke a jewell, he came in after about 8 months, asked if it was ready & i said yes & showed it to him, the bill come to $275..., he said, "oh hell thats too damn much, just keep the damn thing"............., i did !!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#24]
DON'T BUY THE GUN.  They are Chinese made and can only be shot with lead shot.

Get a Baikal or a Stoeger for not much more money.  I got a Baikal SXS with 28" barrels, int. chokes, and single trigger.  Bull of a gun but you won't break it.  They make a hammered coach model as well.  I've seen them for about $250 in local shops.  Much better way to go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Have a Stoeger 12 ga. coach, will shoot 3" shell too. Very good gun, paid about $300 for it a few years ago. Kick the heck out of you though with the mag rounds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:46:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have a 16ga double barrel SxS not like a coach gun but a bird gun and you can only fire on round at a time with a coach gun can you fire both barrels at once, that would be fun.
The main thing is I am looking for reliability I don't want some thing thats going to fall apart and break.

Don't ever fire both barrels at once from the shoulder, especially with any sort of buckshot/high brass type loads. It can be very painful and not a whole lot of fun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Don't ever fire both barrels at once from the shoulder, especially with any sort of buckshot/high brass type loads. It can be very painful and not a whole lot of fun.

Yeah, that just sounds like someone begging and pleading for a broken collarbone and/or dislocated shoulder...

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I still haven't decided I am going to go look as a SKS today maybe I will get that instead. If I were to buy the shotgun there would be no way I could resist firing both barrels at once I would have to do it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Is this a gun they're going to give everyone in coach class for airborne anti-terrorism?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I were to buy the shotgun there would be no way I could resist firing both barrels at once I would have to do it!

Me too.

ive done it its cool hurt like hell but was cool
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I still haven't decided I am going to go look as a SKS today maybe I will get that instead. If I were to buy the shotgun there would be no way I could resist firing both barrels at once I would have to do it!

OK.., here is my best advice, find a good hammerless SS double LONG barrel (they are cheaper) buy a good 18 or 24 TPI hacksaw blade for your hacksaw, or more if you have a tendancy to break blades, then measure off the legal length of the barrel, (breech face to end of new barrel length) + 1/2" "THAT 1/2"".., is your trueing up range..., that is where a good file & an accurate machinists square comes in handy, i have made many of them by buying old SS clunkers, cutting them off, steel wool off the rust, sharpen the checkering if any & quadruple my investment.......
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I think I am going to buy the coach gun there are pretty cool,
I also like how short they are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top