Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 7:22:38 AM EDT
I have changed the length of pull on my CAR Post-ban stock to about the mid-length location on my post-ban tube permanently to stay legal..

Is anybody else doing it?  Do you all think there would be a market for this customizing?

Why?  Increased maneuverability, better presentation with thick clothing or vest, and they don't want that goofy looking LE entry stock.

Your opinions, not flames would be welcomed.  I've done three so far for others so it is taking off around here.  I keep the gun within the legal limits, in fact I ask the person I'm doing this for what they want the length of pull to be.  The last one said 12", that took off only about 1" off the length.  You wouldn't think that matters until you pull it up and see.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I did it, and I wish there was a company the made the stock in a Small, Medium or Large lengths.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
i have done it on a couple of mine, fully closed, epoxied, and pinned, also removed the release mechanism knob from the bottom of the lever, this meant pinning the lever to keep the right "look", but it is a good way to make sure it will not be consider readily convertible, i like to stay in the good graces of the atf, i called and the guy told me that what they were looking for in a permanent stock was a "solid" feel, no loose parts to modify and make the stock easily converted to collapsible, ps your gun rocks, green and all, mine is identical
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey I would love to have one like that. my config. is the same as your except full length fixed stock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If anyone is thinking of shrtening their stock, may I sugest some power tools.  It took me 4 hours with a hack saw to get through that buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Look cool, keep up the good work...
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the kind words.  

Vinnie, were you using a nail file?  LOL, ya this crap is hard.  Takes me about 10 mins with a hacksaw.  I take it slow so I can keep the cut plum with the tube.  Then I take a file and "finish" it.  After that I have the delicate part.  Drilling and taping the screw hole.  You screw that up and you either do a helic core or cut it down some more.  Don't forget the aluminium black on the end.

My only problem is I have only been able to find one source that has the tubes that I can cut down.  I will need to talk to them to see if I can get just the tube instead of buying the whole shebang.  Not necessary if you already have the fake non-collapsing.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW, i am looking for a stock with a longer length of pull.

just goes to show you it takes all types.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words.  

Vinnie, were you using a nail file?  LOL, ya this crap is hard.  Takes me about 10 mins with a hacksaw.  I take it slow so I can keep the cut plum with the tube.  Then I take a file and "finish" it.  After that I have the delicate part.  Drilling and taping the screw hole.  You screw that up and you either do a helic core or cut it down some more.  Don't forget the aluminium black on the end.

My only problem is I have only been able to find one source that has the tubes that I can cut down.  I will need to talk to them to see if I can get just the tube instead of buying the whole shebang.  Not necessary if you already have the fake non-collapsing.  

honestly, I'll admit I was using a POS saw, but if I had a bench grinder I'd have it done and refinished in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:21:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Vinnie, how u duin?  LOL, had to do that.

Anyway, I've got the bench grinder, used it on the first one, won't use it again.  That rounded wheel was a bitch to try to keep the angles straight.  No matter how I put it to the wheel part of the radius was transferred.  Now a bench sander, that would be useful.

1911, you can do the same thing pretty easily if you can get a tube that has the meat in the end.  The thing you look for is the CAR spring, and buffer.  If the full length tube has that, then you will have the extra metal you can cut off.  Email one of use for the procedure if you want to do it.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Hehe, thought I would add the poll.  Interesting.  Here is a page I put together on this gun.  http://www.tnrdgrnr.com/project

And here is some eye candy I get to work with.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top