Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2002 10:31:08 PM EDT
Just put my first payment on an M1 Garand "re-imported" by CAI. The total cost with tax is running me $537.98. With in a the month or so it shall be home. Then after a good stock cleaning, I deside if I will do a refinish or not. Also pics will follow.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
AR15.COM Moderator of Reloading, General Firearm Discussion & Hunting Forum.
A great place to get answers to your reloading & hunting questions.
Or come and take a look at my web page at.
members.aol.com/dbrewer842/dbrewer842.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:01:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
A reimport is a Garand that had to have its receiver replaced with a new one to get it back into the USA, thanks to King Klintons gun laws on imported Simi-autos. The Rifle was shipped to Europe during WW2. Then it was stored there. Well, to get it back to the USA now days they cannot ship the whole rife, they have to dismantle it and ship everything but the receiver. Then using a new one they rebuild it. All parts are guaranteed mil spec, parts that fail are replaced with new ones. CAI is Century Arms International.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I find it more than a little odd that someone who is supposedly as knowledgeable about firearms as you, Dave, would spend ANY money on a CAI Garand. "MILSPEC?" Don't think so. Getting a GENUINE USGI Garand from the CMP for $525 TOTAL delivered to your door ($425 for a Danish version) seems like a better deal. Oh well, your money. Spend it as you see fit.

A DETAILED REVIEW OF A CAI GARAND
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I seem to recal seeing a post here a little while back that explained that you had about a 50-50 chance of getting a shooter from CAI.  Claimed poor casting quality and barrels.  Not to rain on your parade or anything DBrewer, just letting you know what I have read here and seen links to from this sight.  If its not too late, you might consider changing to a CMP gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I just purchased a 1945 Springfield from Gunbroker.com.  After waiting for over two months just to get my paperwork, and knowing I'd have to wait a couple more months for the CMP to process and ship an order, I checked the auctions.  Found the rifle I got, and got it for 6 bills.  Yeah, a little more than the CMP, but it's all Springfield.  If everything is correct, I'll be more than happy.

Dave,  I'm not sure about the quality of the CAI receivers... what you may do, since most of the other parts are USGI, you could buy a receiver, or barreled receiver from the CMP and use all the other parts.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]

After waiting for over two months just to get my paperwork, and knowing I'd have to wait a couple more months for the CMP to process and ship an order.

You and zoom are the only two that I've heard telling this story. For everyone else it's a little over a month, start to finish. Currently, from the time the paperwork and payment are dropped in the mail until the Federal Express truck comes to the door is about 45 days.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

After waiting for over two months just to get my paperwork, and knowing I'd have to wait a couple more months for the CMP to process and ship an order.

You and zoom are the only two that I've heard telling this story. For everyone else it's a little over a month, start to finish. Currently, from the time the paperwork and payment are dropped in the mail until the Federal Express truck comes to the door is about 45 days.

I've heard the delays are around 45 days to two months... They're handling a lot of orders for the 03 Springfields.  I WILL purchase an M1 from the CMP in the future.. heck, probably a few!  I've only heard good things about them!  :)

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not buying the two months deal. Go to Culver's 'site. Everyone who has received a CMP M1 within the past week, and I mean EVERYONE, had sent their order off from March 13 onward. I received mine in January within something like 28 or 29 days from the time that I mailed it. Every CMP rifle is one that the "gubmint" didn't get to chop up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I read the thing they had over at Fulton. But again I read a lot of their tech test on rifle made or sold by other people. They always seem to show a little bias toward their products and that they are the only ones that produce any thing good. Or maybe they just get a bad luck of the draw. I inspected the rifle, and checked the points that they named in their test rifle and the one that I am buying is well with in Army Mil-Spec. So I am happy with it. This is not per-say a collectors gun in my eyes. I don't own "collector guns" and I don't ever plan to take part in the CMP program or Competition. I will take a Deer with it during hunting season for the hell of it. Like I said I was not looking for collectors grade or competition grade. Beside it give me a great toy to tweak and dress up over the next few months. Guess you could call it a Hobby Gun. Anyway I give you all a report on it no matter if it turns out to be great or a peace of crap.

No, I am not pissy about anyone's input on the possible less than good quality of the rifle. This is why the web sight is here so we can share our own knowledge with each other. I would love to hear first hand accounts by people here who may have had first hand experience and are not associated with a particular firearms manufacture.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]

I read the thing they had over at Fulton. But again I read a lot of their tech test on rifle made or sold by other people. They always seem to show a little bias toward their products and that they are the only ones that produce any thing good.

Fulton doesn't produce Garand receivers, CAI does. If your logic held true here, they would criticize Springfield, Inc.'s receivers. They don't.

I inspected the rifle, and checked the points that they named in their test rifle and the one that I am buying is well with in Army Mil-Spec.

You checked the Rockwell hardness, receiver geometry, headspace, barrel indexing, etc.? I'd be interested to see those numbers.

I don't own "collector guns" and I don't ever plan to take part in the CMP program...

And the logic here is...?

No, I am not pissy about anyone's input on the possible less than good quality of the rifle.

Nor am I, but I do think your decision is a strange one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I will give the performance ratings when I start shooting the living hell out of it. I will also pass along any and all tweaks I do to it. If it needs any besides sighting in. Beside I love to do my own gun smithing. Like I said its a Hobby Gun.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]

I don't own "collector guns" and I don't ever plan to take part in the CMP program...

Still not getting this part, Dave. You're wanting a "hobby gun" to gunsmith on, so why can't a CMP rifle fill that task?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Jim lets just say it was love at first sight. When I picked her up in my arms I knew this was the M1 Garand for me. It was destiny.  

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
AR15.Com  Moderator of Reloading, General Firearm Discussion & Hunting Forum.
David Dee Brewer's web page:
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#14]

I don't ever plan to take part in the CMP program...

You're missing my question.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I am just not interested in it.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
AR15.Com  Moderator of Reloading, General Firearm Discussion & Hunting Forum.
David Dee Brewer's web page:
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]

I am just not interested in it.

Not getting that either, Dave. You're an honorably discharged vet, so the match requirement is waived. A copy of your DD214, membership in something like the Washington State Rifle & Pistol Association in Puyallup, a copy of your voter's registration or birth certificate (or naturalization papers if applicable), and completion of the purchaser's agreement, and you're on your way. Pretty easy stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, will it make you happy that should I buy a 2nd one, I go join a gun club and get it from the CMP?

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I just think that nobody wants to see you end up with a $540 parts kit. I'm going to get a Garand as well and have put a fair amount of research into it. CAI would be my last choice. Hopefully, you'll get a good one.

FWIW, I'm probably going to go with a CMP but Fulton Armory and Orion are high on my list(I know they are expensive). Even the Springfields would be a good choice, though I would definitey want a USGI receiver, which they don't use.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#20]
All you guys that are knocking Century Garands have either never owned one or had bad luck.  All of the Century Garands that I have owned and still do own function and shoot great.  They aren't collector's items because of the new receiver, but they are great shooters.  

Since I buy guns to shoot and not to hopefully turn a profit after it's been sitting unused in a gun cabinet for 15 years, I will stick with shooter grade guns.

The CMP guns that are coming out now are really getting to the bottom of the barrel.  They are mismatched serial numbers, wood, etc.  There goes the gun gurus collectibility B.S.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#21]
no I don't own one. Freely admit to that. Do have an SAR-1 they built and am extremely happy with it...but I was able to get my hands on it and it was without a doubt the nicest SAR I've seen. AND everything lined up. I would love to have a Cetme but I'm not willing to drop money on something like that sight unseen. Their rep is just not that good. DBrewer has at least got his hands on this Garand, Ill give him that, but there are better alternatives out there. I appreciate what you say about the CMP Garands-I may still drop the extra cash and upgrade to a Fulton-Armory or Orion.
FWIW, I'm not sure you could ever count on CMP's Garands having matching serial numbers, etc. Most everyone seems pleased with what they got, though, and once again, CAI's rep is just not very good.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]

All you guys that are knocking Century Garands have either never owned one or had bad luck. All of the Century Garands that I have owned and still do own function and shoot great.

Don't need to own one. All of the ones I've handled had sloppy machine work which usually translates to lousy quality elsewhere. The ones I've shot had poor timing and malfunctioned. That's enough of a test drive for me.

The CMP guns that are coming out now are really getting to the bottom of the barrel. They are mismatched serial numbers, wood, etc.

So what does the CAI Garand offer? Mis-matched USGI parts and wood. You do get the distinction of bragging on having a new receiver of dubious quality. As my uncle would say, "That don't come as no recommendation."

There goes the gun gurus collectibility B.S.

This qualifies as the most asinine thing that I've heard this weekend. Congratulations. The CMP never guaranteed a "collectible" Garand for anyone. Only an all USGI Garand in working order. How you tune it and restore it is up to you. Guess you didn't read that little part of the CMP's mission.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey, Jim Dandy. How's it shakin'?
I take it you've had good experience with the CMP Garands. Enlighten me??

Still haven't done anything with my RRA lower. Am looking at a M4 tactical postban upper from Sableco. Will probably buy soon.

I'm also looking at a M14/M1A. Fulton armory build on a SA rec vs SA M1A. What do ya think? Problem is I don't want to wait. Patience never has been one of my greater virtues.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]
drjarhead:
It was a fairly straight forward deal for me. I sent off my paperwork and received a rifle a month later. Some people set their expectations a little high on this CMP stuff. The newest guns that they send out are going to be 45 years old and they were all used by all kinds of people. That being said, you're not going to get a new gun by any means. The stocks are dinged up and the gas cylinders have very little finish remaining (the finish on those parts was never very durable). The metal overall is very good and the gun is mechanically sound with a GOOD receiver (bare receivers are also available if you'd rather build or have built a rifle). I received a July '43 Springfield receiver with a January '51 SA barrel, SA bolt and oprod, and an IHC trigger group with an SA hammer. My stock had been sanded inumerable times in the past, but had a good rebuild cartouche from Rock Island. I sent it to Dean's Gun Restorations and had the stock redone for $75. Seemed reasonable to me. Now I have a gun that's good looking and good shooting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I like my CAI Garand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Jim Dandy,
Looked over Dean's site. I've been there before when trying to decide which Garand to get. Still can't decide for sure but FA or CMP most likely. I'll probably go with the CMP. For now, at least. Main thing is metal parts, mech function and bore. Can always redo stock or get one from Boyd's.
Hang in there, Bud. And keep in touch. To bad you don't live closer. We could go do some shooting. Plan on going out tomorrow and shooting my SA58 carbine and M1 carbine. Provided weather holds out, of course. Anything goes this time of year.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#27]

To bad you don't live closer.

Yes, we need to live closer. I'm halfway laid up with a friggin' sinus infection and my wife, who is an RN, has NO sympathy. I'm in the need for drugs (or at least your prescription pad). Oh well, going to try and do some shooting tomorrow if I feel any better. Here's a photograph of my Garand after Dean spruced it up for me. Did I mention it SHOOTS good, too?

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn, that is nice. Did he refinish metal also or just wood? Do anything else to it?

What's the deal with the sinus infection? How long you been sick, etc?
For OTC meds use guiatuss syrup and sudafed. Together they will help decongest and drain, and are the equivalent of what I prescribe. Keep up with them. Hot showers are the best. Morning and bedtime. Spend a little time in there, run the water over your nose and face and get some mist up in there. Blow it out good. Repeat, etc. Keep your fluids up. Tylenol or ibuprofen for discomfort. If you really have a sinus infection(most overdiagnosed entity in medicine in my not so humble opinion) an antibiotic is indicated. Further, seasonal allergies(hay fever) are very common this time of year. VERY COMMON. Many have no idea they have them until they come see me. Can't tell you how many people I see tell me they have sinus infections all the time, etc. "No doc, I get this every year this time". My reply: "Think about what you just said to me!!" Drive up here and I'll look you over and we can go shooting!
For allergies: antihistamines and nasal steroids. Can also add sudafed as a decongestant. FWIW, benadryl is an excellent antihistamine but don't use for a cold or true sinus infections. I wish they'd take it out of all the tylenol and advil + everything meds out there. Benadryl will make you drowsy, though.I put out an excellent post on allergy remedies last year this time, BTW. Should be in the archives. Feel free to call. 1-(715) 545-4078 or 3391 if you feel the need or email me.

PS. Nurses only have sympathy for the wacko's. No shit!!
Don't tell her I said that.

PPS. I had a feeling you were having a shitty day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, I must admit that Dean did do the metal, too. He offered it to me at such a reasonable price that it was just too hard to refuse ($100). Even with all of that, I still have less money tied up in it than the Springfield, Inc. M1 (which is only half a step from a CAI Garand). Dean is VERY highly thought of on Culver's 'site and his customer service is second to none. Super good guy (Kenya is good, too).

No, it's a bona fide sinus infection. Green stuff and the works. It's really nice to wake up at 2:00 in the A.M. with a head and chest full of crap and a really nice RAW knot in your throat. Been taking sudafed and Levaquin, but I just kind of feel like, well, shit.

Nurses only have sympathy for the wacko's. No shit!!

That is SOOOO true!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad you are happy with your new purchase.  When it comes down to it, that's all that really matters.  Please do keep us informed about it though as I am curious to hear how it funtions and shoots.  I had just heard about the possibility of the reciever being weak and it scared the hell outta me.  A 30-06 is a powder keg to have come apart next to your face.  Good luck and congrats!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#31]
First of all when she gets home, she going to get broke all the way down and completely inspected, cleaned and lubed. I don't want any dead Nazi's hiding in her somewhere. (joking) Then the first range test will be done using standard ammo with standard chamber pressure suited for the M1 Garand. No, Max loads going in this baby. Once I do the basic checks, then I will start first dressing up the stock. Yes, I will also put the windage tic marks on the receiver like the Springfield has, I may also transfer the stamp data for the rifle to the back of the receiver to make it at least look like an original, but will use the CAI's SN and company marking. But we will see how much fun I am already having by that point of time. Hell I might even put my name engraved on it somewhere. But first thing is first, getting her home and a good full GI Cleaning, wonder if the old man wants to do that? LOL. After she passes my inspection and I put her back together then comes the function tests. Which are very well noted in my TM 9-1005-222-12.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Is TM 9-1005-222-12 available on the 'net like the M-16 manual?  I just ordered up my CMP Springfield and a can of surplus .30-06.  It will arrive while I'm off in the sandbox this summer, so I'm hoping to have some study material to take with me!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Dave,

I am a proponent of the 'diamond in the rough' theory, so I hope the M1 you get is functionally fine and safe.  Heck, I have a Llama .380 handgun, which people would bash to no end, but the sucker goes BANG every time I squeeze the trigger, and that's all I need it to do.  I do, however, also think that one should get the best he/she can afford, so I chose a USGI M1 (for less than I saw the two CAI Garands for).  I didn't go through the CMP, though (too impatient... my baby will be here this week!)

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#34]
My Century Garand works quite well.  I've heard more than a few horror stories about them, but very little documented problems.  They've sold a bunch of them over the years.  Mine is a mixture of Springfield and Danish/Italian parts.  Stock is pretty chewed up but the metal is very nice.

On CMP ordering times.  My 03 took about seven weeks.  Got it last Monday.  Friend ordered one of the Bushmaster CMP AR's, it took a month or a bit less.  Don't know what Garands are running. They are awfully busy out there with the 03 orders.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top