Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2002 6:36:07 AM EDT
That dam thing, I cleaned my gun and went to put it back together.  Anyhow, the little two rods are not close together, guess they pulled apart some when I took it out or whatever.  Now I can't get it back in to save my life.

Anybody know where to get these?  I don't want to buy the whole dam parts kit for $50 or whatever it cost, I just need another 1 or two of these SMALL MINUTE pieces.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
you shoudl be able to buy them right from bushmaster. not sure what the shipping and handling woudl run you though. mayeb you could work up a parts order to make ti worthwhile.

or maybe a member here will jsut mail you one in an envelope?

either way, im surprised the one you have is bent in some odd way. is there no way you can pinch it close enough to slide it in?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My pin goes in one way only because of the way the legs are. I usually have to rotate the pin a bit and kind of "screw" it in. Try this, it may be all you need to do and it's cheaper, too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a small screwdriver from the bottom of the bolt carrier to push the legs together.  Its alwas worked for me.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Had the same prob before, I slipped a nail that will fit tightly in the loop part and pinched the ends together with plyers...hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
OT: I keep a small supply of these little small parts(extractor springs, gas rings, extractor, cam pin, firing pin etc) that are easily lost, in the trap door pistol grip. That way when you are at the range, it doesn't ruin your whole day, and you have some time to replace the part at a latter date.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That dam thing, I cleaned my gun and went to put it back together.  Anyhow, the little two rods are not close together, guess they pulled apart some when I took it out or whatever.  Now I can't get it back in to save my life.

Anybody know where to get these?  I don't want to buy the whole dam parts kit for $50 or whatever it cost, I just need another 1 or two of these SMALL MINUTE pieces.

It is all a metter of technique.

The simplest way is to grab a toothpick and turn the carrier over so you are seeing the bottom in the firing pin area.  Take the tooth pick and push it into one side of the pin so it compresses and with a tad bit of luck/work it will pop right in.

There are other ways that require no tools, but are harder to explain...

mark
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Twist method works here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Squeeze the damn ends together.  Allow just a little bit of the pin to protrude past your finger tips fro feeding purposes, and insert it into the bolt carrier.  I can't imagine this not working.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I had that very problem yesterday.  Usually a quarter twist or so overcomes it, but not this time.  I just poked a small flat screwdriver down between the firing pin and the carrier.  The first time, that didn't help, so I rotated 90° and pushed the other leg -- voila!  I too keep a spare parts kit in my trapdoor pistol grip, but I went to a lot of trouble double vacuum sealing it with anticorrosion paper, so I didn't wanna break into it.

There's a gun show in town, so I guess I'd better head over there and pick up several spare pins and an AK-47.  Maybe a Walther P99 too as long as I'm there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got some extras and will ship you one if you email me your address. However, I'd rec you get some spare parts. At minimum a field repair kit from Bushmaster. It's $30 and has two retaining pins. Shipping is a little steep so maybe a few additional parts such as another firing pin, another retaining pin and maybe an extra gas ring set.
You can get a stowaway grip, complete bolt and the field repair kit for $80(AR STOW KIT). That is a good deal, BTW.

www.bushmaster.com
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, drjarhead is a nice guy!  OK, I just got back from the gun show and I got me a couple of spares for 75¢ each.  Also picked up some other spares for my spares.  Got that P99 too.  Woohoo!!!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow, drjarhead is a nice guy!  

Not really. I doubt I'd win any Mr. congeniality contest. Not nearly PC enough for that but I am a straightshooter and don't stab people in the back, ever. Offer still stands, Jomma.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
You should always keep a few extra parts around, especially the small ones that tend to get lost during field striping. That said When I first took out my firing pin. I took the cotter key that hold it in and held it with a pair of needle nose pliers against my vise and lightly taped the two prongs together with a ball pean hammer, not to the point that they were flat, there is still a small gap but much smaller than original. Now when I put them back together it just take a slight twist and it slides right in. Some may say this is not a good Idea but I have never had any problems with the gun, nor has the friend that taught me this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had the same problem with a couple of bolt carriers.  My Colts and Bushmasters never did this, but one GI bolt/carrier I have has a tricky firing pin cotter pin.  

I tried the "screwdriver method" outlined above, but the only thing that worked to get the little bastard back in was the "ball-peen hammer method".  A few taps with the hammer and no more problems from that sucker.

Note:  some would say that this compromises the strength of the pin in the hole, but my pin still fits very well.  Some pins have rough-cut beveled edges, you might try smoothing them out a little bit with a dremel to get them to slide into the carrier easier.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I ran into the same problem with my new RRA. Simply turning the bolt carrier over and getting the correct angle of placement of the retaining pin turned an aggravating problem into an easy and simple solution. FWIW, it didn't matter which retaining pin I used and I tried several. None went in easily until I did as noted above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top