Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2002 8:30:40 PM EDT
Guy's wife had been hoarding money for bills instead of paying them. Monday she walked out on him with money in hand and he now has a stack of bills to pay. He's selling his three rifles:
Marlin 30-30 Lever Action, Model 30AS
Marlin .35 Rem Lever Action, Model 35
Chinese SKS
Both the Marlins are pristine; they look 100%. One has a cheap scope on it. The SKS is in fair condition. Rifles come with a wooden box with probably 40 rounds of .35, 60 rounds of 30-30, and 60 rounds of 7.62x39. He wants $500 for the whole lot. I may be able to jew him to $400, but that'll be pushing it.

I was thinking of trying to pick them up at a good price and then unload all but the .35 at a large gunshow I'm going to this weekend. I might end up with a $100 .35 Rem ???

Any thought or advice?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to say "Jew him" in that context, then I got out of high school.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pay the $500 and you will get a good deal.  $400 and you took advantage of the situation.  Remember the Golden rule here.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
"jew him"? Oy- I'm not Jewish, but may all the sand fleas of the Negev infest your armpits for saying such a thing!

And don't take advantage of him- this is a friend, right? Would you want somebody to do that to you?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Pay the $500 and you will get a good deal.  $400 and you took advantage of the situation.  Remember the Golden rule here.

Sgtar15

I agree with Sgtar15.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Let's see if I have this correct: this guy didn't pay his bills like a respectable & responsible adult & you say go easy on him?

I'm sorry, this guy isn't selling his guns for medical bills, yes? Piss on him & offer him $400 for the lot, IMO. Lever actions are a bane in commercial sales, we can't give them away at gunshows.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
No, this guys WIFE didn't pay the bills, and then left his ass with them and took the money.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
midnight--

If this is somebody you call a friend then give him $600, he needs the money or he wouldn't be selling them, and will appreciate your generous purchase offer, rather than a handout. Might even hang on to them in case he wants to buy them back later.

If this guy is just somebody you stumbled across on pure dumb luck, then give him the $500, again he needs it or he wouldn't be selling the guns. Then do what you want, sell them, shoot them, whatever makes you giggle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
*agrees with USP40C*
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Let him keep the 30/30 for when he tracks his wife down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
$500 is fair. Is that his asking price?
If he's a friend then buy em for $500.00 If you want the rifles. I wouldn't kick him in the nuts over this.
I'm glad your not my friend.
  Is your next question going to be:  Now that you and your wife split, would you mind if I ......?  I always thought she was hot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I re read the thread.   It doesn't look like he's a friend.  
Sorry.
Be a capitalist.  Offer him $300.00 and see if you can get his x-wife's number.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#12]
He's not a friend.  He's a cousin of one of my wife's coworkers.  I decided to pass on them anyway, because I just wasn't intrigued with anything but the .35, and he wanted to sell them as a lot.  I never even offered him the $400.

Regarding my character, which has been questioned here to some extent:  If he was a friend, and I had the money, I would loan it to him indefinitely no questions asked and let him keep the guns.  Since he is not a friend, I am a capatilist, and would buy them for $100 if that was his asking price.  A fair transaction is where the buyer pays what he is willing to pay and the seller takes what he is willing to sell for.

Wolfpack, I used to think pictures like your avatar were funny, then I graduated high school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top