Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 6:04:11 PM EDT
I did this to my 7.62x39 AK...
I can't believe the difference it made...

Pics of the mods:
community.webtv.net/gallerydistributing/AdjustableAKgas

My thread on gunsnet.net...
Check it out...
(link takes you to page 2)
www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=448467

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good idea Art! I wouldn't do this to my prebans but I would to my MAK90's. I've got tons of Holly main jets left over from my misspent hotrod days...!

PS---the bit in your 90 degree adapter is called a "Terry Bit". They are used in the aircraft industry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Good idea Art! I wouldn't do this to my prebans but I would to my MAK90's. I've got tons of Holly main jets left over from my misspent hotrod days...!

PS---the bit in your 90 degree adapter is called a "Terry Bit". They are used in the aircraft industry.

I agree...
I'd  never hack up a pre-ban...
I just picked up a (cheap) Russian Saiga AK, and wanted to "tweak" it...

Trigger was crap, so I swapped in all new trigger parts...
Didn't like the synthetic furniture, so I put wood on it...
Didn't like the bolt slamming the back of the receiver, so I came up with the idea of jetting the gas sytem...

Come to think of it, there wasn't much I did like about the (Hesse) gun "out of the box"
(At least the sights were straight)
I pretty much had to go over the WHOLE gun...

ART
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you use the terry bit for the enire hole  or just to start it.?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So the way you adjust the gas flow is by replacing the screw?  Interesting.  There oughta be a way to adjust it by using the same screw, though - if that could happen, it would be a true adjustable gas system, and I'd be willing to do it to my rifle.  Thanks for the info, and for the awesome pictures!

Later,
 Banshee
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I can finally get rid of that old gas tube I was going to sleeve, along with the piston I was going to thin. Great work, Art!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice idea...may have to give that a try.

Thanks!
medcop
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Drag Racer,
This is probably the most ingenious thing I have ever seen posted!!!

Excellent job!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Did you use the terry bit for the enire hole  or just to start it.?

I used the angle drill to go all the way through the gas block with a small starter hole, then drilled through with the proper sized bit for the 1/4-28 tap...

Whole job only took about 30 minutes...

I broke a tap on the fist try, and spent most of the time trying to remove it...
(Cheap tap)

After clearing the broken tap, the 2nd (Good tap) cut right through...

The AK gas block isn't made of hard metal, I just used a junk tap on the first attempt...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top